I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

First System inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlphaQOver is an unknown quantity at this point
First System inquiry

hey all, just got my 2002 civic si, and was wondering about a system that would be decent but not overly expensive. I don't know anything about stereos. i was considering buying a Sony Xplode 200watt amp. and 12" subs. i have about $1500 (cdn) any help would be very helpful thank you
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

CivicRiderCA is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on the SI! I'll tell you what everyone told me when I asked pretty much the same question:

Amps:
Sony should be avoided at all costs (depending on who you ask). This includes amps and HU's. Shoot for a Pheonix Gold, JL, RF, or MTX as you really can't go wrong with these brands. AutoTek is also good (I have an AutoTek 400.4). D class amps are best if you're gonna power a single sub as they are mono though VERY efficiant on your electrical system.

Subs:
Cerwin Vegas are popular because quite often you can find them on sale two for 100(us) They are good subs for the price. Other good subs are Kicker solobaric L7's, very good and very powerful subs. If you're not very experienced than the L5 would be just fine [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] RF subs are good...Avoid MTX subs though, they are pretty much accepted as crap. eclipse subs are good too. Anything eclipse is good stuff...

May not be much help but I hope it gives you a good starting point. I'm no expert myself, these are all just things I've been told since I started here. Good luck! Everyone else please feel free to correct any goofups I may have made.

Anyway, listen to Mohawk, he's da man around here.
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

AlphaQOver is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you for the reply!!!
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
i wouldnt reccomend buying everything at once. buy good quality stuff so you wont have to keep uprgrading. (done this many times and have lost lots of money but thats the joy of car audio). get a good HU and a good set of components and an amp to push them. worry about subs later.

Recomendations:
Eclipse, Nakimechi (spelling)- HU great sq decks, but they are not flashy
Image dynamics, rainbow, focal, mb quart, cdt - comps
ton's of different amps avalable. check some of them out.

if your not sure if a certain brand is good. just ask, the more experenced will help you out.
Old 04-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with Subrage on this.. get a Good HU...Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion and Nakamichi are all great choices...

Get a good quality 2 channel amp that puts out at least 75Wrmsx2. And get some good components.. with install that's about $1300CAD there or so...Then save up for another amp and some subs.. With good components you'll be amazed at the increased bass output and midbass output over your Stock speakers...

It depends really what you want though.. Wanna keep it simple.. get new front and back speakers.. a new HU..power the speakers off the HU and you can swing a good amp and some decent subs that way..

Old 04-04-2002
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally recommend XTANT for subs and amps, they are the higher end of MTX's corporate structure

Joe