I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Anti-Theft system acting up.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dimplepimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Anti-Theft system acting up.....

Hey, I'm new to the posts so forgive me if it's not in the right spot..

I've recently had some issues with the anti-theft system on my 2dr coupe 2001 civic si. Essentially what happens, and this is consistent, is that I can use the remote keyless entry to lock and unlock the doors no problem, however the lights no longer flash when you unlock or lock it the first time, and there is no horn confirmation either on the second press of the lock button. Curious, I locked everything up and tried opening the trunk to see if I could get the alarm to sound, but there was nothing.

I looked at the fuses underneath the steering column for the security system and it is intact. However, when I pulled the fuse for the security system and then tried the keyless entry buttons again, the lights flashed and the horn sounded, but when I did the trunk test it obviously didn't sound the alarm because I had removed the fuse.

Now ALL of this started acting up after my girlfriend had taken the car to the mall. She was waiting outside for someone to finish up inside and had the car off, aftermarket stereo on and headlights on. I understand that the battery is draining at this point and it is an older battery, so it drained rather quickly. She had mentioned that the deck suddenly turned off and when she went to restart the car it took a long time to finally sputter up and back on. I have had no problems starting the car at all since this incident, so I don't think it's any problem with the battery aside from it being a little old.

I guess what I'm really wondering here is do I have a physical problem with my security system, or is the problem a reset issue with the aftermarket stereo or something? Seeing as everything was fine up until the point that the battery voltage dipped below a certain threshold and everything turned off (essentially a hard restart). Thanks a lot for any input you can provide on this.
Old 02-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anti-Theft system acting up.....

how about you try to disconnect and reconnect the battery. sounds like something got messed up when the battery power drained too low. and maybe something that needs to be configured after power loss.
Old 02-12-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like it lost memory & reset all keyless programs......does the red light flash on the remote? If not replace battery (maybe 2 bucks?).....if the light still does not flash the remote is broke. If the battery makes the light flash & nothing happens with the vehicle still.....there is a problem with the program of the remote or a failure of the keyless entry system somewhere ( I have only seen 1 in 100 cars have a failure here)

Everytime I see this when the battery has run low the keyless remote has lost program.....honda will charge you half an hour charge to program. I'll see if I can dig up the directions.

Here ya go.......straight from my honda book.....keyless entry program 2002 civic si 3door:

Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the multiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.

Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.

Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the multiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.

Within 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the mupltiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.

Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.

Within 10 sec., aim the transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons.Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.

Confirm proper operation of the transmitter.

Last edited by FoSho; 02-12-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

bestbuds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FoSho
Sounds like it lost memory & reset all keyless programs......does the red light flash on the remote? If not replace battery (maybe 2 bucks?).....if the light still does not flash the remote is broke. If the battery makes the light flash & nothing happens with the vehicle still.....there is a problem with the program of the remote or a failure of the keyless entry system somewhere ( I have only seen 1 in 100 cars have a failure here)

Everytime I see this when the battery has run low the keyless remote has lost program.....honda will charge you half an hour charge to program. I'll see if I can dig up the directions.

Here ya go.......straight from my honda book.....keyless entry program 2002 civic si 3door:

Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the mupltiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.

Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.

Within 10 sec., aim the transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons.Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.

Confirm proper operation of the transmitter.
Hi FoSho, thanks for the info; but do you think this will also work for my 2006 Civic LX? I have the same issue (horn confirmation will not work after I pressed the lock button 2x within 5 seconds). I haven't checked the wirings under the streering wheel yet, but I know the light on the remote control works when I press any button.

Also, in your instruction, you said to have "the transmitter aimed at the receiver..." -- my 06 Civic's key has the buttons (lock, unlock & panic) integrated in it (no separate remote). Will that still work?

Please help! Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

sean2a is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey is there any confirmed solution to this? I just had some work done on my car and now all of a sudden I am having pretty much the same problem. The remote works for keyless entry (and the panic button) but the anti-theft system is messed up in the same way described above.