I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

sub box

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-eksoul- is an unknown quantity at this point
sub box

hey guys. i just joined this forum and im a newb when it comes to tuning cars and stuff. i just bought a 2005 honda civic lx coupe and i was just wondering wats the best material and diameters to make a good bass subwoofer box. i hav one already but i dont know what its made of. it was from my cousins 95 GTi. i dont think it will fit in the drunk but the box itself is heavy as hell, probably why it pounds so hard. but yea just wondering wat materials i should use to make a new sub box and the diameters so it will fit just right in the trunk. i hav a 10" pyle pro series sub really old but it still pounds hard. i know this question has been probably asked a million times but if u guys can help me out that would be awesome. cheers
Old 05-13-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: sub box

Basically you want to start with the sub, and not the box. Figure out what sub you want, and then check the specification on what kind of box is best for it- they all have the measurements lined out. You have options as you will find out, either you got a sealed box, or a ported box. And if you dig around even more, you can do fiberglass if your up to it, or find a good shop that will do it for you.
Old 05-13-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea...i suggest a new sub. im not a big pyle fan but if u think it hits hard keep it. find out the specs and the company gives u an idea of what kind of box works well wit the sub...then either build it urself or find someone selling one. by the way, if u decide to update u subs, i have a custom box for 2 12" subs that i made myself...nice n sturdy, black carpet and new connectors in the back.
Old 05-13-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

3/4" MDF is a good all around choice for building sub enclosures.
Old 05-13-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

theres a lot more to building a sub box than just screwing some mdf together. if the box isnt perfect for the sub, its gonna sound like sh*t. by some of the questions you asked, im going to assume you dont have a clue what you are doing, so im gonna just recommend either buying a pre-made one or pay someone to build you one.
Here are some pics from my box that I made a few months ago. It is now carpeted. this is from right after siliconing the joints.

as you can see from this one, take some time with the jigsaw. I had to fix the right side hole after cutting it, which was a royal pain in the rear.
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chawski
theres a lot more to building a sub box than just screwing some mdf together.
For sure, it takes time and knowledge to design a box properly. T/S is only one piece of the whole equation as those are small-signal equivalents. I recommend the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook to anyone who's up for it. My next project just might be a transmission line.

Originally Posted by chawski
I had to fix the right side hole after cutting it, which was a royal pain in the rear.
Makes me love the computer controlled router.

Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

-eksoul- is an unknown quantity at this point

wow guys these ideas are awesome ! great help keep them coming ! THX
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

Makes me love the computer controlled router.
you lucky sob! i wish i had access to something like that!