I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Deadening??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlimmKidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound Deadening??

Has anyone tried using Mono foam in their trunk to reduce vibration??? LMK!!

Or any other cheap ideas??? I know about brown bread already but is it really worth it????
Old 03-31-2007
I need a drop
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sound Deadening??

yes.
Old 03-31-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its worth it yes, more for sound quality not really road noise. for that you should buy a few cans of rubber undercoat and do the rear wheel wells and the area under trunk. can also put BB or other deadener in the doors.
Old 03-31-2007
I need a drop

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough

fatmat works real well for sound deadening. I got like 100 square feet of it for around 110 bucks on ebay. And 100 square feet is plenty. I did my doors, and my trunk floor(2 layers) and only used roughly 20 sq. ft
Old 04-01-2007
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thefever
fatmat works real well for sound deadening. I got like 100 square feet of it for around 110 bucks on ebay. And 100 square feet is plenty. I did my doors, and my trunk floor(2 layers) and only used roughly 20 sq. ft
I have to disagree about FatMat for both value and effectiveness. It's better than nothing as long as it doesn't fall off, but there are MUCH better products for not very much more money.
Old 04-01-2007
I need a drop

^I've had it on through the texas heat... it's stuck pretty well. When you buy items like this, it's my opinion that you're buying a name, not a "quality" product. The specs, or if that's even what you want to call them, for sound deadening material is basically the same.
Old 04-01-2007
hvc
Registered!!

hvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to hijack, but i've got a question about sound deadening and i figured i wouldn't make an alternative thread about it.

Do you do everything in your trunk, including the floor, wheel wells, etc? or just the bottom of the trunk door? I've got a small vibration problem from the outside at the back, and i think it's my spoiler, but it's probably a number of other things.
Old 04-01-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by hvc
Not to hijack, but i've got a question about sound deadening and i figured i wouldn't make an alternative thread about it.

Do you do everything in your trunk, including the floor, wheel wells, etc? or just the bottom of the trunk door? I've got a small vibration problem from the outside at the back, and i think it's my spoiler, but it's probably a number of other things.
It usually is a number of things - spoiler, license plate, tail lights, rear deck, etc. - all kinds of stuff back there to rattle. Sound deadening will reduce the energy available to generate rattles, but it really is best to treat the rattles first. Make sure everything is tightened down. Use silicone caulk to keep pieces apart, foam tape, expanding foam, bits of foam rubber, all are useful tools. You want to prevent any two hard surfaces from making contact.

Once you've done that, you can apply as much or as little sound deadening, really vibration damping, products as you want. I've always found it best to use less of a better quality product when budget is an issue. Wheel wells are big if you want to block exterior noises. Generally, you want to treat any place the panels are resonant. If you can tap on them and they ring, they are worth treating.

Sheets of 1/8" of 1/4" closed cell foam like Ensolite or Neoprene are really useful. I like to cover every surface I treat with vibration damper and use it to gasket trim panels.
Old 04-01-2007
I need a drop

^There have been tons of things known to rattle in a civic. I've seen it all the way from taillights and the rear panel to small stuff like, hinges and whatnot. It's just a matter of figuring out exactly where the vibration is coming from and eliminating the problem.

As far as where you sound deaden the trunk. It depends on what you like. I don't like to be standing outside my car and hear **** rattling everywhere, so for starters I did my entire trunk, wheel well, spare tire well, sides, trunk door, everything. From there, I figured out where the other rattles were coming from, and took every step to eliminate them.
Old 04-01-2007
I need a drop

^beat me to it Rudy, lol.
Old 04-01-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thefever
^beat me to it Rudy, lol.
Funny when that happens. Must be good advice tho
Old 04-01-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dynamat doesnt reduce rattle, you need to find what it is and stuff foam pads inbetween so the surfaces dont touch. you cant get rid of everything but some places are easy like rear deck and door panels. i had my window rail vibrating so i stuffed in some foam and now silent.
Old 04-14-2007
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

heh...mono foam is not reccommended...if you spray that **** in there, under several years of vibration, it will gradually crumble into powder..

you'll be left w/ a mess to clean up
Old 04-14-2007
Premium Member

oh no im talking about premade foam the kind that stuff is packed in and you can squish it and it pops back to normal.