I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Next best thing to the yellow top

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blinknfgkicks will become famous soon enoughblinknfgkicks will become famous soon enough
Next best thing to the yellow top

i can't find a optima yellow top size d51 anywhere, so whats the next best battery?
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough
optima red top...

You do know that the yellow top is for duration and the redtop is for high power surge. yellow is running everything off your battery with the engine off for a long period. Red is needing to borrow the extra power from battery in short bursts when the alternator doesn't put out enough. Simply.

Any marine battery will do. And where are you that you don't have a place that sells optimas? Everywhere from Walmart to car audio shops have yellowtops/redtops.
Old 03-18-2007
My cats breath smells like cat food.

MURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blinknfgkicks
i can't find a optima yellow top size d51 anywhere, so whats the next best battery?
Maybe this but don't " " on it I'm no a freekin battery expert

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...c-battery.html
Old 03-18-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
^^ something about shipping a battery out to customers that makes me worry a little. I dont know **** about batterys either. I figure when mine dies, I'll have to learn.
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

pinoyjdmr is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you using it for sounds or jus a daily driven thing if it's for daily driven and no sounds I would go for kanitiks or buddy club or this other battery called oddesse these battery are smaller than the stock and optima, it's a race battery and it's light to but if your useing it for sounds then go for the optima battery..............
Old 03-18-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the yellowtop was discontinued because it sucks. both mine and my friends went out in just over a year. no more dumb batteries for me, i just get a generic lead acid battery. works so much better than optima. stick with technology thats been proven already.
Old 03-18-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
optima red top. 3+ years in temp extemes and start and stop usage.
Old 03-18-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pinoyjdmr
Are you using it for sounds or jus a daily driven thing if it's for daily driven and no sounds I would go for kanitiks or buddy club or this other battery called oddesse these battery are smaller than the stock and optima, it's a race battery and it's light to but if your useing it for sounds then go for the optima battery..............
If you're anywhere cold, those Gelcell race batteries are not gonna do it. They've got enough punch to turn over a motor, but not when its cold out.
There's really nothing wrong with a plan old L-A battery. if you need more stereo power, get a bigger alternator.
Old 03-18-2007
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
Sears Die Hard or Kirklands (Costco) batteries work great. Even Autozone batteries are good. No need to spend over 100 for a battery. I think all those I mentioned are produced by the same company.
Old 03-18-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
Originally Posted by doctor
Sears Die Hard or Kirklands (Costco) batteries work great. Even Autozone batteries are good. No need to spend over 100 for a battery. I think all those I mentioned are produced by the same company.
I dont agree with you on this man .. sorry .... Im assuming that you dont have a loud *** system in your car and thats probably why u think tht all batteries are the same ....

Im pushing a pair of Alpine 300watt 6x9's, a pair of 220 watt KEnwood Components Systems at the front and a 600 Watt RMS Kicker L5 12 incher .... My head lights used to go crazy at just half the volume dude and a lot of you might not have experienced it but IT ALSO MESSES UP YOUR RPM and SPEEDO needles ....

I replaced my stock battery with a crappy Autozone one .. no change so I returned it and bought a Yellow TOp and the quality is amazing ...

TOPIC MAKER: After looking for a D51 Yellow Top for 2 months I finally got a regular D35 battery which is bigger in size than the D51. Its the one which is actually for accords... IT SITS PERFECT IN THE PLACE even with an AFTERMARKET INTAKE ... I have an AEM V2 and the Filter is big as u know ... U have to remove the plastic casing though which everyone throws out any way ....
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
I just put in an Optima red top. Good so far.
Old 03-18-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
I have a D51 yellow top. I don't have any problems starting the car. When its cold, it does take longer to turn over, but it always turns over. I've had this battery for almost 3 years now.

It turns over, no matter what. I remember, I had to drive my dad to work, because his van wouldn't start. it was last winter, and it was like -40 C with the wind chill. The car took a few seconds to turn over, but it turned over alright, and started. I got my dad's work, and the temperature needle in the car hardly even moved. It was near the coldest position. When I got back home, the temperature needle was still near the coldest position. This was approximately a 40 minute trip, because there was lots and lots of snow outside.

Optima gel cells do work in cold weather. I've heard more bad stories then good ones about the optima d51. However, I've never had an issue with my battery.
Old 03-18-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ive had a $60 autocraft group51 and it has been performing better than the optima for almost a year now, even in the (-15F) winter.
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
i live in socal so it gets below freezing mabye 3 days a year if that. would the racing baterys be good for a DD out here in 115 degree during the summer?
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
kinetiks 1400
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Next best thing to the yellow top

im in the Vancouver area in Canada and I couldn't find any more D51 Yellow tops. I found a used 51R that was used for 1 yr and they sold it to me for $50. I kind of regret it now as im always afraid of my battery terminal touching the hood or my hood-holding-arm flying up as I can't use the arm holder.
Old 03-21-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by yingjai
im in the Vancouver area in Canada and I couldn't find any more D51 Yellow tops. I found a used 51R that was used for 1 yr and they sold it to me for $50. I kind of regret it now as im always afraid of my battery terminal touching the hood or my hood-holding-arm flying up as I can't use the arm holder.
why can't you use the the battery hold down??

The 51 and 51R are the same except the terminals are Reversed. That's the only difference.
Old 03-21-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

autozone has redtops and yellow top lead acid batteries...

they are jsut as powerful as the optima....and half the price...but they lead acid, not dry cell (in this case, its better)
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

I got a yellow top 51 series, got it like September 05. Runs perfectly on my car, takes the beating of my system, plus in the harsh cold we had this winter it did fine, even after sitting under 15 inches of snow for 3 days, it started up normally.

If you don't have a system and you don't let it sit for a long time, like at a college parking lot, just get a regular battery, not worth the $150. But if your car is gonna sit at school for a week or more without use, like mine last year, (the optima saved my *** a couple of times) then get an optima and fit it in there.

Oh and Gearbox you tend to have the worst experience with some stuff, lol.
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phuviano
why can't you use the the battery hold down??

The 51 and 51R are the same except the terminals are Reversed. That's the only difference.
I am using the battery hold down. What I mean is the rod that holds the hood up when you're working isn't secured properly because the battery is in the way.

Sure, the only diff between 51 and 51R is that the terminals are reversed, but our cars are designed to accept 51 only. The cables are not long enough for R and my friend had to unclip some ties so we could pull the cable a little further. Also, the terminals are closer to the front of the car with the R battery. I cannot have the terminal "condoms", which is supposed to prevent me from completing a circuit by accident, because of hood clearance issues. The R terminals also blocks my hood support rod, which I mentioned earlier, so I can not lock it in place when not in use (aka driving). The only reason the rod is not flapping around and probably getting jammed in something is because I have an amp cable there and the rod is somewhat wedged beneath it. Hope it holds though.
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lxcivic2k1
I got a yellow top 51 series, got it like September 05. Runs perfectly on my car, takes the beating of my system, plus in the harsh cold we had this winter it did fine, even after sitting under 15 inches of snow for 3 days, it started up normally.

If you don't have a system and you don't let it sit for a long time, like at a college parking lot, just get a regular battery, not worth the $150. But if your car is gonna sit at school for a week or more without use, like mine last year, (the optima saved my *** a couple of times) then get an optima and fit it in there.

Oh and Gearbox you tend to have the worst experience with some stuff, lol.
My optima yellowtop has saved me a few times too! Because my computer is usually in standby, it is a constant drain on the battery. Without shutting it off completly, I only get about 4 days time before it goes dead. With the old lead acid (2yrs old I believe) I got less than 30hrs. So optima rules!

And I have heard something about the Optima batteries at Walmart being inferior to the Optimas at other places. I don't know why this could be and if anybody knows, I would like to know!