I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Proper way to tap wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyees is an unknown quantity at this point
Proper way to tap wire

Hi guys i just recently purchased an AMP for my car. I still have the factory head unit and need to use a hi level input. I have to tap the speaker wire but Im unsure on how to do it. Would it be the same as taping into a power line where you can strip the wire and then wrap the new wire around the existing power line? So what I am saying is do you just strip part of the speaker wire that is running to the head unit and wrap the speaker wire that runs into the amp and put electrical tape around it? Here is the AMP I have in case that helps.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3tYwppf...20&I=206ZX3504

I know some people would say to wait to hook up the amp untill i have an aftermarket head unit, but I do not intend on buying an aftermarket head unit untill i finish upgrading my speakers first. So I appreciate that help on how to do this. Thanks
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

Derrik is an unknown quantity at this point
you could use some wire taps (pinch connectors)
to splice into your original wire...
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
I agree that wire taps are the way to go. You can easily pick them up at Radio Shack.
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

CivicFreak03 has a spectacular aura aboutCivicFreak03 has a spectacular aura about
You will need a hi level input that has 4 RCA jack inputs. Just splice into your front speaker wire and also the rear. You can use wire cutters but don't cut the wire all the way just cut the insulation off a section and wrap the wire around that. If you don't have access to solder then use electrical tape but make sure that no bare wire is showing becuz if so this will cause problems down the road for ya <----- bare wires touching. That 4 channel is prolly not going to make your factory speakers sound better it may make them distort because they are not made to handle the power level the amp is going to put out so you may want to go ahead and install new speakers before putting in the amp. If you install the amp anyway I wouldn't turn the gains past half way up.....
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

Keyees is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the help guys, I have already replaced the front speakers with Kicker KS6.2s and Im in the process of deciding on what I want to put in the back.
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
two most common taps are scotchlocks and T-taps.

scotch locks are unreliable, bulky, and a pain to install.

compared to T-taps, which Ive never had fail on me, are an industry standard, and are what is shown in the picture three posts up.