I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Almost there...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
Almost there...

I just built the boxes for my soon-to-come L7's. I don't have the front panels on yet, though, because I'm going to wait until my subs get here so I can use the included template. Anyway, the boxes are 14x14x14. I was just going build a single box 14x14x28, but I decided that the cuts would be more accurate if I went with two boxes. I used Heavy Duty Liquid Nails between the pieces, and put 1 5/8" Deckmaster wood screws every 2". I countersunk the screws, and filled the holes with Elmer's wood filler. After I get the front panels on, I'm sealing the inside seams really good with Liquid Nails FlexTite. Then, I'm going to sand the boxes, prime 'em, and they're getting 2 to 3 coats of Silver Dupli-Color Metal Flake paint, followed by about four coats of Krylon Crystal Clear for protection and a nice shine. I tracked my subs on UPS.com, and they should be here by Thursday...so I should have my boxes completely finished by Sunday.
Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds good. You should have made just 1 box dude [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. Otherwise...sounds pretty dang nice!

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
so you made 2 completely seperate boxes or one box with 2 compartments? either way is cool I guess. sounds like you are spending some time on this project. can't wait to see some pictures of them.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
Mohawk: The reason I built two seperate boxes is because I built a dual 10" box for a friend last week, and I noticed that since we have a lower model Delta table saw, the cuts weren't as accurate as I would have liked them to be. I mean, the pieces had perfect 90 degree vertical cuts, but the length and width of the boards were off by up to 1/8 of an inch in some places. Since I built two seperate boxes, I still have the perfect 90 degree cuts, and the length and width are nearly perfect. The few spots that are off are only off by about 1/64 of an inch, and the most that it's off is in one little spot, which is 1/32 of an inch, and it's on a piece that overhangs, so the extra is getting sanded off. I'm pretty happy with the results. These boxes are strong too. I weigh almost 170 lbs, and I stood on one today (without shoes...wouldn't wanna hurt the MDF!)

UncleB: I said that the boxes should be done by Sunday, but it may take a little longer. I am receiving [the subs] on Thursday, but I have to go to my new job (I'm an Eating Utensil Cleansing Technician...or if you wanna be a jerk about it, a dishwasher [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] ) for orientation. Since I am going to be really busy this week, it may take me an extra week, but I promise, as soon as I get my boxes done, I'll post pics. I don't know about people on this site, but there are a lot of people at my school that don't believe I'm getting the L7's and BP-1200.1...so I can't wait to prove people wrong. I'll also take pics of the amps and CD Player I ordered and post those too. I might just take a single pic with everything in it...that way I can show you guys my boxes, and I can print a copy to take to school.