I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

porting your door?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
porting your door?

I know everyone has seen those cheezy little cover/boxes you can put on like 6x9 and stuff *that are supposed to enhance the sound*. But i got to thinking today, what if you built mini box's inside your door? more than likely out of fiberglass, and made them port out into your car? I figure, those wouldnt need that much cubic feet of air space, and the ports wouldnt have to be that long. But i was wondering if you think it would really enhance the sound quality? Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I dont know if it is really worth the work. One thing you can do that will help is get those square pads made by dynamat and put them behind the speaker.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
you'd have to look at your speakers specs and plug them in a few equations to find out. Dont quote me, but i believe most midrange speakers are designed for an IB setup
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
What most pro car audio people do is put sound deadening material on the skin of the door (the metal that the paint is on) through the holes in the doors. Then you get thin sheet metal and fill in the holes of the door to create a sealed enclosure....
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

fatal Error is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by free_refil
What most pro car audio people do is put sound deadening material on the skin of the door (the metal that the paint is on) through the holes in the doors. Then you get thin sheet metal and fill in the holes of the door to create a sealed enclosure....
I've done this and also bought the dynamat. I dynamatted the headlinder floor doors and rear panels, and rear deck lid. I also made a carbon fiber cut off for my backseat with 2 boston accoustic 6x8's ,and a 6'1/2 component system. on the rear deck lid i have kicker competition 6x9's and in the doors i have boston accoustic 6'1/2 components and then I also have polk tweeters on the front pillars and the rear pillers and also on the seat belt pillars. in the trunk i have 3 audiobahn 10's powered by a JL 1500 watt amp, and all the interior speakers are powered by a 500 watt audiobahn amp and both have fosgate digital capacitors...it is extremely loud.....I just finished it all last week I'll send some pics and I'm going to run the dbq next weekend. it adds alot of weight but civics are slow anyways lol...
Old 06-09-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
they make baffles for midrange speakers that do this also but i'm not sure if it will benefit you much
Old 06-09-2006

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by eye_see_you
they make baffles for midrange speakers that do this also but i'm not sure if it will benefit you much
Yeah everyone who ive known who have had those said they suck. I was just wondering so i could get some better mid tones out of my front and rear deck speakers. It was just a thought. Mabye with some of the spare wood i have laying around i might build a little mini box and see how it sound.
Old 06-09-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I still like dynamatting the door skin inside then taping the window off and spraying a layer of liquid deadener, or rubberized under coating if you're going cheap. It improves it a tad.
Old 06-12-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Aperiodic - Very small boxes that "breathe" through a moving membrane. Both the membrane and cone can not be in the same exterior space. Either the membrane part has to be isolated by cutting a hole in the car so that it is outside, or the subwoofer has to be isolated from the rest of the trunk in a similar fashion to free air woofers. The "box" has to be as small as possible (ideally the membrane should be right up against the sub), since it is used only for coupling the sub and membrane. Aperiodic membrane configurations are very hard to design and tune, but give good frequency response and respond faster to transients, giving accurate and tight bass as opposed to boomy sound. They are not ruled by Thiele-Small parameters like other designs, so any woofer would work with the membrane.

BTW: I don't run door speakers at all. Imaged kicks 6.5 and silk tweet and alum tweets in the a-pillars only.
Old 06-13-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
door speakers suffer from a loss in low frequency information usually from two sources: minor extent through phasing with the other speaker, but MAJORLY from plain old standard cancellation with its own rearwave!

one of the best yet SUPER easy solutions is to massively sound deaden the door. here is how:

we start with the sheet deadener on the outer skin. everywhere. everywhere. the doorpanel must be strong. in the end, this helps our bass too, preventing the subwoofers loosing energy into the doorpanel through vibration. (if you dont believe me, play some loud bass and feel the outer doorskin of your car!)

once you are there, the door panel itself must be sealed up. for large holes, I like to use plexiglass, about 1/4 inch thick, but hardboard works just fine. for hardboard, I will put one layer of sheet deadener on the back, lay it over the hole, then roll more sheet deadener around all sides.

youll notice we have to take care of the latch of the car. this can be a problem! but not if we are smart about our deadening

for the latch, I use split loom tubing to protect it, in about 8 gauge size. always ensuring that the latch is very free to move, I slowly work my way around sealing the door over the split loom.

the small holes all over just need a layer of deadener over it to seal off the back wave. dont forget to skip the holes that your door panel pops use!

now your door is VERY VERY solid, and the rear wave of the door speaker will be quite contained. chances are this will fix a vast majority of low midbass problems in your car!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm making a seperate post for the phase thing. its relatively minor, but its far easier to take care of than deadening the door, so it might be worth a shot anyways. it DEFINITELY is after deadening!

pick some music you know well, and while its playing, swap the phase of one of the door speakers. it helps if you can maintain the tweeters in phase, but its not the end all be all.

always listen from the drivers seat. its possible that the speakers will be *more* in phase from the drivers seat with one of the midbass drivers wired 180 degrees out of phase. this can also help get your sound in focus with instrumentation located in their proper places. takes experimentation.

these two combined should get you all the midbass the recording is going to allow you. porting not required!

Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 06-13-2006 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Lexus stepped up with the IS300. The door speakers are much higher. Cancellation is a biotch.
Old 06-13-2006

So i guess the easy solution would be dynamat? huh?
Old 06-14-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
and lots of it!

also, check out second skin sludge (www.secondskinaudio.com).

it applies far easier than deadener inside the door, making it the perfect topping to a few sheets of dynamat already in there. while you are at it you can, if you wish, purchase their sheet deadener which I am told is bitchin.
Old 06-14-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i just put a dynXorb pad behind the speaker, put dynamat on the door, and sealed up the speaker mount with dynamat. its alot better than before as far as bass goes. actually its almost worse cause now the door rattles and shakes alot more from the louder bass.
Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

fatal Error is an unknown quantity at this point
dynamat dynamat and more dynamat it's dam expensive but it works like a **** ...... increased my sond quality like you couldnt imagine !!!!!!