I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Trunk redone! UPDATED!! Finished!! 03/05

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow Trunk redone! UPDATED!! Finished!! 03/05

Hey whats up everybody..

well I took my car to a shop today to get an estimate on what it would cost to make a few panels for my amps and rerun my wires. right now my trunk looks like this: and its really shitty!

i have an appointment for tomorrow morning and right now the plan is to make 2 panels. one for each side of the trunk. the panel will be snug fit and flow with the curves of the tire wells on each side. basically squaring off the sides and mounting the amp. then the sub is going to go as far back as possible and as far left as possible (driver side.)

they are going to do this and reinstall my door speakers (because last shop was lasy...whole other story, tho) for $150.00. is that a decent price?

also, does anybody have any other suggestions for how to mount the amps. I don't want to spend a lot on this install...and really i just want something that looks clean and simple...and that doesn't take all my trunk space.

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 03-05-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
your shop can mount them to your rear deck and run the wires behind the trunk sidepanels. wiring will be mostly hidden, amplifiers will be mostly hidden, yet still accessible.

they can use bee stinger metal screws with aluminum spacers to make sure the amplifers sit off of any uneven surface up there, and can clear your torsion bars, rear speakers, etc.

it will limit your trunk height, so if you carry tall things in the trunk, its not a good idea. but youll have 100% of your floor space, and stuff sliding around (like gallons of milk and other groceries) wont be able to contact your electronics.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
forgot to mention this, but keep it in mind at all times:

the cleanest look is the invisible one. the closer it looks to a stock honda civic trunk, the cleaner it is, and ultimately more functional and even impressive to the right people.
Old 03-01-2006

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
i think you lost me lol

you mean...like..hang them from the rear deck upside down? wouldn't the 6x9's get in the way? the torsion bar isn't really a problem seeing as i only have 1 right now and it doesn't hold the trunk up at all lol...so i could get rid of that one.
Old 03-01-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
I think he is suggesting a sub and amp setup in the spare tire section and a cover over that.
Thus a stock clean look
Old 03-01-2006

over or under...i don't want anything thats too complicated. i know the shop i took my car to can do very clean work...but when you start asking them to fab anything complicated they start getting ghetto...

anyways....i want it do be like this

but instead of having just that square (rectangular) panel i want it to go all the way to the back and curve over the tire well.

like i said..thats just the plan right now...because it seems the simplest and cleanest...and i don't want them on the back of my seats
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

the spacers would clear the 6x9's

the shop would remove the last torsion bar and use three inch long (or whatever length is needed) self drillingsheet metal screws to install the amplifier. right side up or upside down, it doesnt really matter.

they can go to any hardware store like OSH or home depot and purchase aluminum spacers in the hardware aisle. its just premeasured and pre cut aluminum tubing. whatever length is needed to clear your 6x9's

as far as ease of install, its easier than the back of your seats. all they have to do is make sure the screws dont poke out through your rear deck plastic.

as far as cleanness, you cant see any wires. any exposed wiring is under the rear deck, so youd have to bend over to look at it. Unless you are a midget.

the shop wont have to cut any MDF or carpet anything. that saves both of you money on supplies.

and you dont "lose" trunk space on either side of the trunk with these boards cut out. and the shop doesnt have to "get ghetto" when they try to mount the side boards. they dont exist!

make sense now?
Old 03-01-2006

you mean like this

where you would be able to see the screws...and the amp not butting up to the deck but rather suspended?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eh.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	64787  
Old 03-01-2006

i my idea is this:
where everything inside the yellow is a new panel

Name:	iwant.JPG
Views:	775
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	64790  
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by manthatguysfast
you mean like this

where you would be able to see the screws...and the amp not butting up to the deck but rather suspended?
yes. and then the other amp goes between the speakers, so it can be sunk higher.

if you fit the amplifier under the passenger rear speaker, then you can fit the subwoofer enclosure under that so everything is very very columated and interferes with practically zero trunk space.
Old 03-02-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
well, idk if you like this idea, BUT, they could mount the amps on the upper part of the trunk, where it lifts. they could run the wires with the spoiler light that i see you have. that would save you space you want, and the cleanness you want too. besides, it would be pimp.
Old 03-05-2006

ok update...

the day after i made the appointment to go to that shop....my old friend from highschool stopped by my work to get some insurance...anywhoo..he happened to see me looking at trunk setups and asks me if i need "beat" lol. anyways, he showed me his trunk, it looked awesome, and said he could do something for me for cheap.

what do ya think....
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Name:	100_0137 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2213
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	64868   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0139 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2591
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	64869   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0140 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2666
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	64870   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0142 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2501
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	64871   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0143 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2120
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	64872  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0144 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2130
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	64873   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0146 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2376
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	64874  
Old 03-05-2006

oh...still needs a few touch ups.

i want to figure a way to make the false floor stay up...like with somekind of hook or something. i bought a **** to put on the floor to lift it..but im not sure if im going to use it, cuz it looks real clean without.

also, im going to be putting in trunk shocks relatively soon. well actually probably within a month or so. right now i have an old wooden handle to a california duster to hold it open cuz the trunk springs (torsion bars w/e) kept interfereing with my 6X9s.
Old 03-05-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
huge improvement, just need to cover the wires a little coming from the amp with a bracket or something.
Old 03-05-2006

yeah i need to clean those up a bit. but you can hardly notice them..
Old 03-06-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
looks good, very clean looking. I like it. Plus you also have a lot more trunk space.
Old 03-06-2006

well isn't this awesome...

i go out to my car this morning to go to school at 6:50am. its raining. when i get in my car and close the door i hear a few pieces of something fall down. so i look to the window....the fvcker is SHATTERED! someone tried to break in my car this morning around 6:00. my alarm went off and i jumped outta bed...by the time i got to the front door my mom and sis were looking outside...but they said nothing was wrong...it must have been the hard rain that set off my alarm so i didn't think anything of it.

luckily they didn't steal anything cuz my alarm is loud as **** and they got scared...but you can see where they tried to pry the window out.

FVCK this sucks!!!!
Old 03-06-2006

$168 later and missing 5 hours of work...everything is back to normal

thanks for the compliments again guys and for the rep from who ever repped me!
Old 03-06-2006
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
wow that sucks man. I f*cking hate thieves. I'm glad everything worked out for you.
BTW, the trunk looks good. what kind of sub is that?
Old 03-06-2006
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
nv mind. Atlas
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

GateCrasherVI is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice man, sucks to hear about the break-in. Hopefully nothing was screwed by the water.

Again, nice work! =)

(First post...yay! everyone pet the newbie!!!)
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

hockeyc574 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good..workin on mine
Old 03-28-2006
Big Member

patau13 will become famous soon enough
The amp mounts look good. I've wanted to do something similar with my amps and get them off the back of my rear seats. Except I was thinking aboub mounting the amps on the opposite side for more of a stealth look.

How did you mount the amp boards to the side of you car?
Old 03-28-2006

well first off they're a really tight fit, so that helps them stay in place.

other than that there is only on screw on each side thats drilled into the sheet metal.

on the passenger side the metal screw doesn't want to stay tight and i can hear it rubbing against the metal of the car. i dunno how to fix that cuz i keep screwing it tighter and it still squeaks.

btw i gotta get some more pics, i moved the sub to the middle and i think it looks better.