I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Running power cable down driver side

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dacali is an unknown quantity at this point
Running power cable down driver side

I was attempting to run my power cable down the driver side of my car.

Do you guys run the power cable from the battery, to the driver side under the hood, then through the firewall? Or do you run it through the grommet on the passenger side then to the driver side inside the car?

If you run it through the firewall on the driver side, where do you go through the firewall?

I wanted to run the power cable down the driver side and the signal cables down the passenger side, keeping them as far away as possible. Thanks for the help!

-Dacali
Old 10-06-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Run the Power cable down the Passenger side and the RCA's down the driver side. The battery on our cars is on the passenger's side so it's a good idea to run the power cable along the same side as the car's battery. There's a grommet there.
Old 10-06-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
how i did it:

Run the power wire down to the interior through the passanger side nipple in the firewall. Run power wire through center console, under carpet in rear, under rear sear custion, and out behind rear seats.

signal wire ran with power wires, but 6 " apart and with triple shielding its no problem.
Old 10-06-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
I ran my power cable down my passenger side. I also ran my rca's on the same side. I have no noise problems at all. I also have triple shielded RCA's.

I'm pretty sure my rca's are touching my 4 gauge wire, but absolutely no static or unwanted noise.
Old 10-06-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
U should always run it the same side as the battery. just good MECP practices. and everything else on the drivers side
Old 10-06-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
you loose power the longer you make your power cable
Old 10-06-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Why do you want to run it on the driver side?
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
its true mecp states that power cable should run same side of the car as battery to minimize voltage drops, but i'd rather have a few extra feet of cable rather than passing my signal cables through all the system wiring and fuse boxes on the drivers side.
Old 10-07-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
yeah there is no reason to not run it down your passenger side
Old 10-07-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by grenloch101056
its true mecp states that power cable should run same side of the car as battery to minimize voltage drops, but i'd rather have a few extra feet of cable rather than passing my signal cables through all the system wiring and fuse boxes on the drivers side.
except 99+% oxygen free copper wire (what most people have) has almost no resistance so the voltage drop is negligable.
Old 10-07-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I'd run it down the driver's side, and the rca's down the middle. Just easier to do, and the RCA's won't be near your fuse panel, even though it won't effect it at all. You want the power cable to be as short as possible to avoid the minimal line loss frmo the few extra feet.