I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

integrating ipod directly to stock hu on '01 civic si-g

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iblastoff is an unknown quantity at this point
integrating ipod directly to stock hu on '01 civic si-g

is there a cheaper solution than those 200$ ipod2car adapters? oh and i live in canada so my '01 civic SI-g is the EX equivalent of US cars i suppose.

all im looking for is:

direct connection to the stock hu's cd changer port and having the ipod charge at the same time. i do NOT need to control anything from the HU itself. i'm fine with fiddling with the actual ipod.

most products i've seen are just regular aux adapters that range from 50$-70$, but do not charge your ipod. whereas the ones that do charge, end up being 3-4x the price? i dont get why.

i could get a separate cig light charger for 20$ but i hear it causes noise and interference with playback once its connected directly to your HU? something to do with ground looping or something.

i also want to avoid those adapters/interfaces that completely disable functions on the actual ipod.

any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
ok so you want quality but cheap sorry to say its not gonna happen. what you can do is buy the cig adapter and the aux input adapter and try a ground loop isolator. thats your best bet for going cheap.
Old 06-23-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
get the vr3 fm transmitter from walmart... it's a cig adapter and it has an usb port... so it will work for any usb device (and might be able to charge thru usb if you have a newer ipod?)
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
transmitters are as bad as it gets. dont buy your car electronics 3 rows from where you buy your stink bait. but for real they are crap stay away from transmitters and bank on spending around 100-150usd to do it kinda right. or you can do it the super cheap way and save to do it correctly.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

iblastoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nick95673
ok so you want quality but cheap sorry to say its not gonna happen. what you can do is buy the cig adapter and the aux input adapter and try a ground loop isolator. thats your best bet for going cheap.
quality would be nice obviously but i dont need the features of the more expensive options (aka being able to control back, forward, play etc through the HU).

i wouldnt imagine charging the ipod would be asking for too much considering it costs around 20$ for a charger. at the same time an aux adapter runs for about 45-70$. these are the only two features i need and i dont think i should have to pay 200$+ to get this in a single unit?

there was one adapter i found for 129$ that did these things but it also completely disables the actual ipod controls. i dont have a HU with text display so i can't see controlling the ipod with it being too fun.

either way thanks for the suggestions so far. i guess if my search fails i'll do the adapter + separate charger + ground loop isolator gig. i definitely want to avoid fm transmitters as well.
Old 06-23-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by iblastoff
quality would be nice obviously but i dont need the features of the more expensive options (aka being able to control back, forward, play etc through the HU).

i wouldnt imagine charging the ipod would be asking for too much considering it costs around 20$ for a charger. at the same time an aux adapter runs for about 45-70$. these are the only two features i need and i dont think i should have to pay 200$+ to get this in a single unit?

there was one adapter i found for 129$ that did these things but it also completely disables the actual ipod controls. i dont have a HU with text display so i can't see controlling the ipod with it being too fun.

either way thanks for the suggestions so far. i guess if my search fails i'll do the adapter + separate charger + ground loop isolator gig. i definitely want to avoid fm transmitters as well.
i have the aux adapter + cig charger in my car and i don't get any interferance. I do have a Acura TL though.

I also ended up hardwiring the charger to the cig outlet for a more cleaner look.
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

fawadkhan83 is an unknown quantity at this point
What I did was use an aux input converter and then get a charger with 3.5mm jack. Belkin has one on their AutoKit, there is also the Sik Imp. That way you just connect the 3.5mm from the aux out to the charger and the charger connects to the dock connector of the ipod. That way it charges and plays music all through the dock connector. This also provide line level sound. If you have a problem with the low humming from interference, get a ground loop isolator which sell for like $5 on ebay.
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
mp3yourcar.com

its pricey but it will do exactly what you want, It connects from your Ipod to the stock HU's CD changer port, allows you to retain control of an ipod from the HU. Smart too kuz messing with your ipod while your driving isnt safe

stay atleast 30 meters away from any fm transmitters
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
first, you buy the cd changer AUX in converter. that should convert your cd changer input to RCA. thats what, $60? Then you purchase an RCA to phono converter. $5 at radio shack. Then you purchase the cig lighter car charger for your ipod. $20 bucks. finally, you purchase the docking unit for your ipod, I cant remmeber if thats $40 or $20.

worst case scenario, $120 out the door.

now, you splice in a female socket behind the cig lighter panel. easy to do, its jsut match and tap. you can get the sockets at radioshack or at kragens.

next, you attach the dockingstation to your , um, something. this is where you get creative. on the dash, in a custom cup holder cup, however you want to do it. I personally would put it butting up agasint a seam in the dash panels (like in a cup holder or other seperate panel in the console) because two wires are going to pop out the back. if its butss up agasint somewher eyou can stuff the cables, you wont see them.

lets pretend you did this. simply plug in all your adapters, then into the back of the dock. same with your charger, neatly hidden behind panneling all the way behind the cig lighter, in its own custom socket. (you can do the same thing with your cell phone charger)

so when you get into the car, ALL you see is a white dock. simply drop your Ipod onto it and it charges automatically. hit your CD/AUX button on the radio, and it automatically plays. reach your destination, and simply pull the pod out of its dock and you are good to go, and so is the card.

done

trickiest part is where in the heck do you put that dock!
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
thought of a good place. you could build a "toungue" of space out of the cd slot of your car. the back of the dock would just be covered, hiding any wires.

you can feel free to hack it up if you want, its a cheap replacement part.

abs is widely available, so itll match the interior.

and itll put the ipod neatly into view and control. if you can reach your volume ****, you cna reach your ipod!

I think its perfect
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

Overboost is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll need to save this thread b/c i plan on getting an ipod in the near future and this is what i want to do.
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

dont they make ipod remote controls? can the input box for the remote be plugged into the dock?
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

LastDojo is an unknown quantity at this point
Check my article:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=215430
Old 07-15-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
see if this will help

http://clesius.net/2005/07/ipod-car-...ng-direct-link