I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stumped! Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stumped! Need help

Hello,

I recently installed cdt ef-61 components in my 2001 civic. I am amping them as well. I had infinity reference 6000cs components before and had no problems with the same amp. For some reason, I am having problems with my front right cdt woofer. When I start my car, sometimes I can hear a whining noise from my right woofer (I.e. alternator?) even if my head unit is off. Also, if my head unit is off when I drive, I can hear the alternator whine and static, it gets higher in pitch if I accelerate. However, when I turn on my head unit all this static/whining disappears. Also I noticed, if I turn my head unit on and drive for a while and then turn my head unit off, the whining disappears.

Today was a hot day and my car was sitting out in the sun all day. When I got home from work I noticed my amp was really hot. Also, there was quite a bit of static coming from my right woofer/(tweeter?) when I turn the volume up. Also I noticed my interior lights were flickering a bit. If I turned the speaker balance all the way to the right speaker the interior light would flicker (i.e. the light you can switch to on/door/off) with a reasonable volume. If I turned the speaker balance all the way to my left speaker (speaker with no problems), there was no light flickering. Also it seems like the amp turned off itself (over heating?) and then back on at this time.

Any ideas what my problem can be? It looks like this speaker amp and my mono woofer amp are properly grounded (i.e. the metal is scraped off).

Last edited by jack123; 05-25-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Just because metal is scraped off, doesnt mean necessarily you got a good ground. Check it again. Where do you have your power wire and RCAs?
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

My power wire is run along the passenger side and my rca's are run along the driver side. Why is it that I get alternator whine/ static when my HU is off, but not when I turn it on?
Old 05-28-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
So you are saying that you get whine in your speakers even when your radio is off and you are not listening to anything at all??
Old 05-28-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
If there's whine in the speakers with no signal going to the amp, then I would check power and ground connections to the amp, and make sure the speaker wire going to the offending speakers is adequately isolated. The heat issue is making me wonder if the amp is even turning off or on with the deck power -check the remote power on wire from your deck harness to the amp. The amp should be off when the deck is off, hence no power to and no sound from the speakers.

Come by my place sometime and we can check it out if you like. I think you still have one of my tools, no?
Old 05-28-2005
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fergsonfire is an unknown quantity at this point
i would check the actual amp. If the amp has somehow ground its body to the chassis you will get noise no matter what is on or what you do. Alot of metal body amps run into this problem. Thats why if you get one of said metal body ampes they generally provide rubber mounting pieces to put your screws through. My suggestion, as being something rather simple, try placing something underneath the amp if it is touching any metal and see if that gets rid of the noise. I have an 05 ex and a RF bd1500.1 and I have no noise at all because i have taken precautions with t, since it is a metal body amp. Also check clearance between the speaker manget and the door, same problem could be occuring with the coil in the magnet as with a metal body amp. Remember not all speakers are built to the same dimensions. Good luck. If you find out anymore info after looking at those two things give me a holler.
Old 05-29-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
its the amp, I had this same problem when I amplified my internals with an old clarion amp. We tried all the things above and when I finally replaced my amp, the noise stopped.
Old 05-29-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Please try to make your thread title more descriptive in the future, thanks.

-The management
Old 05-30-2005
Registered!!

Just to test if it is the amp, I switched the speaker wire connections at the amp (i.e. right speaker into the left speaker terminals, and left speaker wires into the right speaker terminals). All the static disappeared! I expected the left speaker to have some noise and whining now, but it doesnt.

I have no idea whats is going on....I think it might just be the amp. I think the amp I have might be refurbished too, since it has a repaired sticker on the bottom. I guess I should just get a new amp.