I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stock 2005 special edition civic sound system HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steven10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock 2005 special edition civic sound system HELP!

this is the problem im having... i want to keep my stock speakers and stock speakers (6)... and my stock head unit..... all i want to do is add an amp and 2 subs... how could i do this? ... or better yet... what amp and subs would be good for this?... should i power the speakers through the amp?... or just the subs?... ima newb and i need advice... plz help!
Old 04-27-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
power inverter... or adapter, i forgot what its called, its like a $50 device...find a local shop and ask them.

and i thought the special edition head unit has sub outs in the back? no?
Old 04-27-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I don't know much about the SE specifically, but in general, here's what you'll need.

You'll need to run a power cable, in addition to a switched 12+ wire to use as a turn-on lead for the amp. Then, ideally, you would use an amp that has speaker level inputs, so that you don't have to worry about a line level converter. If your amplifier does not, you'll need to buy one of those things he was talking about above, a line level converter. It will connect to the rear speakers, and come out with RCAs for the amp.

Either way, you'll need to splice yoru rear speaker wires for a signal. Then, pop in your subs and you should be ready to go!

To really help with your amp and sub selection, we'll really need some more information, such as your budget [including installation?], and the type of bass you're looking for, what kind of music you listen to, etc.
Old 04-27-2005
Ace Ventura

my05civic24 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's called a hi/lo converter if you are gonna stay stock stereo, cuz i almost did, but i said f--k it and bought an aftermarket stereo. JL's are good subs, a lil pricey, but good. JL amps are pretty good also.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

im not sure if it had pre outs but ill see... im thinkin bout goin kicker.. i listen to hip hop... R n B.... linkin park... ummm.. pop... pretty much anything... but i want more of the hip hop dr dre type beats to hit.... i like my sound system right now... i just think it needs more bass.... i dont like it where the bass is louder than the song and thats all u hear.. but i want the bass to be there... for both amp and subs.... the most about 500... also installation would be done by best buy or circuit city so that doesnt count in the 500 im tryin to spend....
Old 04-27-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
take ur car to best buy or cuircuit city, buy your stuff there and they'll install it for free, u don't have to worry... personally i'd go best buy, they are better imo...i've had better experiences with them
Old 04-27-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
if you want to keep the stock head unit, you can. get a product that will convert the speaker level signal to a low level signal (low level = RCA), and then run it into your amp. Find an ACC power source and run a remote line back to the head unit to turn the amp on/off

Just splice off your rear speakers and run it to the line convertor. There are 2 good products that I can think of that you can use. One is from JL Audio called the Clean Sweep, the other is from Phoenix Gold and is called the SLD44. Both products will work very well, however I am not sure if either have them have made it to stores yet. I don't think the Clean Sweep has, but AFAIK the SLD44 from PG was just shipped out to dealers either this week or last.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chocobo15_2000
take ur car to best buy or cuircuit city, buy your stuff there and they'll install it for free, u don't have to worry... personally i'd go best buy, they are better imo...i've had better experiences with them
I worked for the canadian sister company, and I can tell you right now its not a good idea to bring you car to best buy. Best buy really tries to keep within their appointment slots and rushes work.

Local audio shops will do a much better job.
Old 04-27-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I really don't think those high end line level converters are really worth it for his application, amping only subs. I doubt there would be too much difference atleast. I think those units are more geared towards the entire frequency range.

You should be alright getting stuff from Best Buy/ Circuit City, you won't need too high end/expensive stuff to drown out the stock speakers, so you should be good to go.
Old 04-27-2005
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by steven10
im not sure if it had pre outs but ill see... im thinkin bout goin kicker.. i listen to hip hop... R n B.... linkin park... ummm.. pop... pretty much anything... but i want more of the hip hop dr dre type beats to hit.... i like my sound system right now... i just think it needs more bass.... i dont like it where the bass is louder than the song and thats all u hear.. but i want the bass to be there... for both amp and subs.... the most about 500... also installation would be done by best buy or circuit city so that doesnt count in the 500 im tryin to spend....
Kicker is good, cheap subs if you listen to Hip Hop and LP. As for amp..Kenwood is alright..and JL has amazing pricey amps. haha
Old 04-27-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
I also would question having 2 12" subs.
1 10" or 12" would be fine for a budget system IMO.

Adding an additional subwoofer only adds like 3db.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Get an IDMAX.
Old 04-27-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
if you want to keep the stock head unit, you can. get a product that will convert the speaker level signal to a low level signal (low level = RCA), and then run it into your amp. Find an ACC power source and run a remote line back to the head unit to turn the amp on/off

Just splice off your rear speakers and run it to the line convertor. There are 2 good products that I can think of that you can use. One is from JL Audio called the Clean Sweep, the other is from Phoenix Gold and is called the SLD44. Both products will work very well, however I am not sure if either have them have made it to stores yet. I don't think the Clean Sweep has, but AFAIK the SLD44 from PG was just shipped out to dealers either this week or last.
May 10th I've been told is JL's release date for clean sweep.
Old 04-27-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
In this case, a budget instal, The Cleansweep, the PG product, Audio Control's LC6, etc aren't necessary. A simple line-out/hi-level control will provide the adequate product to get the job done. Ask yourself what does the budget tell you to do. For budget install, I'd recommend a single Adire Shiva (assuming you can find one) and a JBL bp power series amp.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

thanks a lot everybody! u guys have helped a lot...
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

04trinicivic is an unknown quantity at this point
bestbuy is shiti work for circuit city installin car audio wat u need to do is upgrade everything. dont keep the stock speekers if u wanna run an amp to then cus u will blow them speekers in a week.Subs i say do 2 kicker L7's u can also do aKicker amp. u will need to change that radio unless u wanna keep buying hi/lo level converters cuz they go bad often.
Old 04-28-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 04TriniCivic
bestbuy is shiti work for circuit city installin car audio wat u need to do is upgrade everything. dont keep the stock speekers if u wanna run an amp to then cus u will blow them speekers in a week.Subs i say do 2 kicker L7's u can also do aKicker amp. u will need to change that radio unless u wanna keep buying hi/lo level converters cuz they go bad often.
I haven't had experience w/ LLCs going bad at all. Did you not even read the thread before posting?

Originally Posted by chocobo15_2000
"I want to keep my stock speakers and stock speakers (6)... and my stock head unit..... all i want to do is add an amp and 2 subs... "
He doesn't wan't a complete system. He'll be fine with any LLC just to add subs.

Two L7s would completley drown out his stock system. He should stay more modest and look for a sub with great low freq extension that won't be ridiculously overpowering - like the Shiva suggestion but Ireally don't think you'll find one.

You could try CDT's subwoofers and let me know how they are - I've been dying to find out.