I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

koda 6.1 components

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
koda 6.1 components

I am looking for a new component set. Currently I have the infinity 6000cs components installed and I am just not satisfied with them. The tweeters are too harsh. The highs sound good on some songs (I hear instruments/sounds I haven't heard when I had my stock speakers), but they are just too harsh on others. I've played with the eq and everything. Also, I noticed that these speakers require quite a bit of power to get going. I have to turn my deck volume up quite a bit for the speakers to get loud (I'm pretty sure my gain is set right). And I usually have to turn the volume down because the sound pierces my ears. I have come to the conclusion that these are just too bright for me. I listen to a lot of rap/hiphop. The speakers seem to lack mid-bass aswell.

Can you recommend a few component sets that are good for this type of music? Or anything I can do to improve these speakers? How are the cdt cl-61a's or the koda 6.1s? I heard good things about those. I guess my main concern is the harshness of the tweeters. Also, I would like good mid bass for hiphop and loudness without compromising too much quality. Btw, my tweeters are set up in the sail panels and the components are amped using a rockford fosgate amp at 100w rms x2. The components are 90 W rms.

I was looking at the koda 6.1 set on the adire website, and they retail for $349. If I just want the driver from that set, it is $80/driver (Koda 6). So the tweeters in the set cost $189? that seems kind of expensive. Anyone know where they sell the koda 6.1 set for a cheaper price (ebay doesn't have it)? I was thinking of getting just the drivers and buying a separate tweeter set (not harsh). But I'm not sure how that would sound, since they usually build tweeters/crossover for the component set.
Old 04-18-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
the extra cost is for the xover, tweeter, and mounting hardware.
Old 04-19-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Personally, I would only get the Drivers, and get a seperate tweet and x-over. I love the driver though. As nothing in it's class to mid-entry level priced (not quality, but pricing wise) even compares to it's performance. Best value for the money on the market, bar none.
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

booner05 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have cdt cl-61a. they have good midbass and highs. they're also cheap, i got mine for $150 for the set from thezeb. i've only compared them to infinity reference. the highs are clean, not harsh at all
Old 04-19-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
The CL-61As are not even in the same league as the Infinity reference. They have incredible mid-bass and the silk dome tweeters could be used as headphones and not be too bright. If www.thezeb.com sold the 61As for $300 they'd be a great deal, at $149 you simply aren't gonna beat them.
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

southwest713 is an unknown quantity at this point
glad i got my koda components when they were on sale got them for $240 shipped
Old 04-19-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
Inifinity has been known for there power requirments and being a little to crisp on playback. Atleast from my experience with them it has always been that way. Also are you pushing them across the x-over and what are they set at? Some x-overs have more than one setting for the tweeter sometimes and what is the amp setup for as far as signal?
Old 04-19-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Personally, I would only get the Drivers, and get a seperate tweet and x-over. I love the driver though. As nothing in it's class to mid-entry level priced (not quality, but pricing wise) even compares to it's performance. Best value for the money on the market, bar none.

Pop, you running a mutt set with Koda drivers? What are you doing for crossovers and tweeters?
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

The crossover is set at the -3db setting. When I first installed it, they were set to the normal setting, but they were way to harsh even when I played with my HU eq. At -3db they are better, but still harsh on some tracks. Actually I have them set at -3db on my crossover and then another -3 on my hu. On my amp, it is set for all pass. I tried setting it for HPF, but then there is no bass in the front.

I am interested in the koda drivers, but i'm not sure if a different set of crossovers will work well with them. What set are you using popcornplaya? How does it sound. Also, I think the tweeters in the koda set are not soft dome, aren't they metallic or something? Won't that sound harsh?
Old 04-19-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by J187
Pop, you running a mutt set with Koda drivers? What are you doing for crossovers and tweeters?
I had the ID NX30's for tweets. I have used Infinity Kappa's before because I listen to a plethora of music, and liked the playback I got from them in the rock music I was listening to (it was a music phase I went through where I listened to primarily rock). I liked the NX30's though, but modding that sail panel was a bitch because they're 1" as opposed to 3/4". I've used a few crossovers as well. One being a Pioneer Premier UD-N2PRS. I really liked it a lot.
Old 04-19-2005

You change speakers like undies, huh? I go through music phases too and then I'll switch from rock to rap and be like, "why don't I hit the low lows?" Oh yeah, cuz I set my controls different everytime my prefs change, doh! Anyay, just curious what you found worked well with the Kodas, I'm always intrigued when someone makes a mutt set.
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

What about the loudness? Do the cl-61a have good spl? What about the kodas?
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

Anyone have any experience with the cdt ef-61s? I can get these for $175 shipped. How are the tweeters? Not too harsh I hope. What about the mid-bass?
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

booner05 is an unknown quantity at this point
my cl-61a get loud enough to hurt my ears without distorting. i have them running off an Alpine MRV-F340 bridged (90watts per channel). never heard the ef-61 but i thought the same tweets were available with the cl-61a but the crossover is the 'satnet' instead of the 'phase perfect'. i guess the satnet are worth more money or something