I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

glare on the alpine cda-9835?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
glare on the alpine cda-9835?

i noticed that if it's sunny out, the deck has glare problems...

on sunny days, the top half is totally washed out by glare.

i tried an older alpine CDA-7864 and the lcd is viewable during daytime.

i think the glare problem has something to do with the fact that the 9835 has a curved clear piece on the faceplate? the 7864 is flat and it doesn't have glare problems.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

torneo78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't see anything on my 9813 during the day. I think its the way our dash is slanted aiming the faceplate upwards towards the sun.
Old 04-11-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
i heard that it worked awesome with glare, you are the first to tell me otherwise

talk to mystic3030 he has one I think

my clarion was good with glare most of the time, how was yours?
Old 04-11-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
the clarion was perfectly viewable...
Old 04-11-2005
Historic Member

CdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 9835... used to have the 9833 which had horrendous glare problems...

My 9835 isn't too bad for glare, not to me anyways... it could be worse...
Old 04-12-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Could be a Honda thing. The display on my Pioneer is WORTHLESS in the daytime.
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

winnerpl is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CraigW
Could be a Honda thing. The display on my Pioneer is WORTHLESS in the daytime.
X2
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

jgrow44 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had that problem too, but I custom mounted it so it was straight and put plexiglass in to cover the gaps. I lost my pocket, but it was worth it. I just used the stock bracket and screwed it really tight on the sides and the plexi holds it pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107-0795_IMG.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	51697   Click image for larger version

Name:	107-0796_IMG.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	51698  
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

jgrow44 is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW mine is the cda-7892
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

20civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same alpine and i think it's a combination of the mount in the civic and the lack of contrast with the el display. i had an older alpine and a pioneer, and didnt' have as much problem cause they used blue in the display, gave greater contrast in sun.
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
on my old Pioneer Premier P850 I couldnt see anything in the day

so I moved up to the new P8 and can see perfectly even in direct sunlight.

yes our cars are horrible for glare there are three things you can do to improve it

1. Buy a double din kit, put the radio in the bottom, helps a bit
2. Get an eyelast tint job (ugly and wouldnt do it myself)
3. Get a deck that can be seen in direct sunlight
Old 04-12-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
its not the headunits fault, its the way the mount on the center console for our cars are made...

the best way is to mount in where the cig lighter is...custom fab of course
Old 04-12-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
you guys try playing with your contrast at all? I didn't even have glare issues on my 9833 before the relocation. After the relocation, there is obviously zero glare issues.
Old 04-12-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Umm, haven't we established that there is a bad glare problem due to the upward angle of our dashes. Which is why I did the pocket and radio flip flop DIY on here. It fixes the problem for possibly the cheapest and most effective means. J187 also did a DIY for relocating the radio. The proeblm with that is, if you have nothing to put up top, it kind of serves no purpose... Anyway, here's teh link to my DIY, which I still need to update with step by step pics...

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...54321234567890
Old 04-12-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
J187 also did a DIY for relocating the radio. The proeblm with that is, if you have nothing to put up top, it kind of serves no purpose...
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...54321234567890
Unless you leave the stock Head Unit and do the relocation for security purposes.
Old 04-12-2005
Super Hoser

it is fine when it's cloudy out but on some really sunny days, the glare off of the plastic lens thingy prevents me from seeing the lcd.

as for flip flop....no thanks...i dont have anything to put into the upper pocket. it would be really ugly it the top din didn't have a deck in it..
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

Alphax is an unknown quantity at this point
<<-- got 9835... cant see nothing during the day. Sucks oh well
Old 04-13-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turboslug
it is fine when it's cloudy out but on some really sunny days, the glare off of the plastic lens thingy prevents me from seeing the lcd.

as for flip flop....no thanks...i dont have anything to put into the upper pocket. it would be really ugly it the top din didn't have a deck in it..
The pocket, the universal one that Metra offers that you put up there, has a place for cd's, or whatever you want. It serves the same purpose as the pocket being below, except without a door. To each his own, but I like mine being there, as it's more aesthetically pleasing along with being easier to operate from the driver's seat, as I don't have to reach as high off of the wheel to play with the radio. It's more of a slide move off the side.
Old 04-13-2005
Super Hoser

The pocket, the universal one that Metra offers that you put up there, has a place for cd's, or whatever you want. It serves the same purpose as the pocket being below, except without a door. To each his own, but I like mine being there, as it's more aesthetically pleasing along with being easier to operate from the driver's seat, as I don't have to reach as high off of the wheel to play with the radio. It's more of a slide move off the side.
i prefer a pocket w/ a door. too bad metra doesnt make a kit with a door

my regular metra dash kit is weird...

the thing doesn't match the dashboard at all. mine is matte black w/out any of that silvery stuff in the paint. it's a real metra part because it came in the sealed metra bag...the kit also isn't quite flush with the dashboard.

i've seen other people with the same kit but theirs look way better. is mine defective? is there any way metra will replace mine with a new one?

i bought the install kit one year ago and have since lost the receipt...i might still have the metra baggie though..

Last edited by turboslug; 04-13-2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
I use the Metra kit that leaves the OEM pocket w/door below the HU, and my faceplate is flush inside of the ISO-DIN Metra cover. I have almost 0 glare issues except for maybe 4 or 5 times when i've had to put my hand over the top of the display to see it.

If you guys are using the kit that leaves the HU protruding from the dash, that is why you are getting a glare issue, and any other HU will have the exact same problem.
Old 04-13-2005

My stock radio drove me crazy having to reach way over. I don't understand who the Fk Honda thinks is driving these cars and how long our arms are. I would do the flip just for that reason alone.
Old 04-13-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by Mystic3030
I use the Metra kit that leaves the OEM pocket w/door below the HU, and my faceplate is flush inside of the ISO-DIN Metra cover. I have almost 0 glare issues except for maybe 4 or 5 times when i've had to put my hand over the top of the display to see it.

If you guys are using the kit that leaves the HU protruding from the dash, that is why you are getting a glare issue, and any other HU will have the exact same problem.
i have the same kit. and since the alpine faceplate is so thin, the deck is actually recessed into the dash a tiny bit...

there's glare on the screen when it's bright outside. it's fine on some cloudy days...
Old 04-13-2005
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by J187
My stock radio drove me crazy having to reach way over. I don't understand who the Fk Honda thinks is driving these cars and how long our arms are. I would do the flip just for that reason alone.
i'm not super tall and i dont have any problems reaching the volume ****...

are you people so big that you guys have to push the seat all the way to the rear of the car in order to sit down?