I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alpine HU heatsink question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alpine HU heatsink question

I have noticed that there is a high pitched sound coming from my alpine 9831 HU more often (it sounds like it is the heatsink/fan). In the winter I didn't ever hear this sound. It has been a lot warmer lately and my car usually sits in the sun during the day. I was just wondering if anyone else with an alpine HU has the same thing happening?
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

Phil_Qc is an unknown quantity at this point
normal...

It's normal, it's a very small fan that turn at
a very high speed.

Philippe
Old 04-13-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
I assume you are using the internal amp on the unit? If you do, thats normal, it's keeping the amp from overheating. If you use an external amp, find the settings menu and switch "Power IC" to Off.
Old 04-13-2005
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
I assume you are using the internal amp on the unit? If you do, thats normal, it's keeping the amp from overheating. If you use an external amp, find the settings menu and switch "Power IC" to Off.

I'm using a 4 channel and the fan is still on sometimes, even though the internal amp is turned off. Dunno, maybe the preouts have something to do with it.
Old 04-13-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i use the internal amp and i've never actually heard the fan running...

just curious but what do you people think of the quality of the vdrive decks w/ a fan? i personally dont really like the idea of a fan blowing dust around. too much dust inside the deck could mean premature cd player failure. and if the fan dies, the amp and other heatsinked parts could overheat then die.

i also have one of the older vdrive decks..it doesn't have a fan on it...
Old 04-13-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turboslug
i use the internal amp and i've never actually heard the fan running...

just curious but what do you people think of the quality of the vdrive decks w/ a fan? i personally dont really like the idea of a fan blowing dust around. too much dust inside the deck could mean premature cd player failure. and if the fan dies, the amp and other heatsinked parts could overheat then die.

i also have one of the older vdrive decks..it doesn't have a fan on it...
the fan wont do anything but cool it down, if ur worried about dust getting on the laser, more dust would get in where the cd comes in and out, it's mor eout in the open, without the fan it would just overheat and cause damage to the internals
Old 04-13-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by booba5185
the fan wont do anything but cool it down, if ur worried about dust getting on the laser, more dust would get in where the cd comes in and out, it's mor eout in the open, without the fan it would just overheat and cause damage to the internals
i disagree...cd's w/ dust = big pieces of dust...large chunks of dust can be cleaned easily

fan = sucking in more super tiny microscopic particles like cigarette residue stuff... large dust particles can be cleaned off pretty easily while ultra fine dust particles can't

fans also die...dead fan could = dead deck...chances are that the deck wont die an instant death but a slow one from repeated overheating...