I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2005 Ex Special edition Head UNIT HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steven10 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Ex Special edition Head UNIT HELP!

Hi i read on a couple of the posts that the head unit that comes with the 2005 ex special edition civic doesnt have a subwoofer output?.... can anyone confirm that has actually taken the unit out and seen this because someone on ebay said that it did when he was selling his but im not sure.... also i know its panasonic made.... but can anyone tell me how much power the unit can handle... how much it puts out etc about the power.... and lastly .... does anyone know who made the 6 stock speakers?....

another thing... if anyone has this head unit... what do u rate it?... the whole audio systems rating... head unit speaker etc as a whole?... on a scale of 1-10
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
never heard of this special head unit. can u post any links?

i think pioneer makes our factory speakers. i know my 6x9s were pioneer made. cant remeber the fronts, but most likely pioneer as well.
Old 03-28-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I believe last time I posted about this, I gave the link or at least the confirmation that someone, has seen the back and said no.
Old 03-28-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
It does NOT have any outputs on the back, only an input. Pioneer makes the stock speakers, and as a whole, as far as comparing to other stock systems, it's about a 6. Compared to a good quality aftermarket system it's a 1 or 2.
Old 03-28-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Having heard it, I'd say your 100% correct Mystic. The one thing I'll add, I would probably try my hand at a line level converter before changing that HU out to add an amp. I'd at least give that 6 disc a chance before swapping for a simple a/m hu. THat's a pretty nice unit.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

u said it has an input? and input for what?
Old 03-28-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Honda 12 disk changer, or i'm sure there is an adapter to plug in whatever you want (mp3 player or similar) like there is for the regular CD player that comes stock in the EX.

Also, if you upgrade the HU and speakers and an amp, expect your stock bass level to drop quite a bit. You will need speakers with an excellent lower/midbass response to make up for it, or some subs.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

oh thanks... i was thinkin of just adding a line level amp and 2 12" subs to the stock system as it is now.... then later down the line change all the stock speakers.... but i wanted to keep the head unit because i really like it for some strange reason... haha what do u guys think?
Old 03-28-2005
I spent 1425 points to do this.

SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
if you upgrade the HU and speakers and an amp, expect your stock bass level to drop quite a bit. You will need speakers with an excellent lower/midbass response to make up for it, or some subs.

why is that?

are oem speakers/HU better than aftermarket?
Old 03-28-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Um let's keep in mind this is a STOCK deck. It's not gonna have any kind of features like an aftermarket one would. You can add amps, but it's not gonna be using rca preouts. Just gotta find an amp with speaker level inputs or get a converter. The stock deck is so underpowered tho and no features, so you're gonna have a hard time making it sound the way you want.
Old 03-28-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SOHC
why is that?

are oem speakers/HU better than aftermarket?
That's not true in all cases. It's all about the install. Oem is not better than aftermarket, although the paper stock speakers are more of an all in one type of deal. The general rule is that you will lose bass from getting new speakers. If you have an amp and you do a good install with new speakers, then they will sound better than stock. I know my infinity reference have a whole lot more bass than stock, and it sounds cleaner too.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

so what ur saying is is that this headunit isnt good at all!? damn that sucks..... it has a mp3 player on it and i like how it looks so i was thinking of keeping it..... but can u please give some features that an aftermarket give me that makes it much better...
Old 03-29-2005
Premium Member

These are just some of the features my pioneer has. The best one is the 13-band graphic equalizer. Don't know what I would do without it. Others are...

BBE/octaver sound processing
digital signal processing
sound field control
independent sub output and level control
3 sets of 6.5v rca preouts for amps
preset eq curves
time alignment
22w rms per channel power output
OEL display with motion graphics
mp3/wma/cdtext playback
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

so if i was to add amp and subs it would still be a bad sound system?
Old 03-29-2005
Premium Member

Well you won't get as good quality with the stock deck, but it is possible to add subs and amp. I would not amp the stock speakers however. They're not made for that. You could start with an amp and sub, then get new speakers if you're still not happy. The first upgrade I did was new speakers and they sounded so much better even with the stock deck still.
Old 03-29-2005

Look at it like this, stock speakers are typically designed to play within a wider frequency range, in order to provide you with as much of the frequency range as possible without the auto manufacturer providing you with subwoofers. Most after market component speakers are designed to be used ideally as part of a system which includes subwoofers. For that reason, they are designed to not play some of the lower frequency you hear as bass/midbass. Reason being, speakers that size do not do a very good job of reproducing those frequenies. It would be like your subs trying to play the highs your tweeters play. So, if you do nothing more than swap out your stock speakers for A/m, you will probably notice a small loss in bass/midbass response. This is not necessarily true all the time, but most of the time it is, especially if you aren't using an amp. I already said earlier, if it were me, I would try using the 6 disc and see what happens. It wouldn't cost you very much to try a line level converter and it may very well sound good enough for you. It's not really fair to say, that the stock deck with a LLC and an amp wouldn't sound the way you wan't without knowing what you want out of your sound. I have heard plenty of higher end stock radios with line level converters that sound great. I'd give that 6-disc a chance first. If you aren't happy, you can always swap it later.
Old 03-29-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
If you're adding subs and amps, running off the stock HU is fine. You'll save money you didn't have to spend, keep the 6 disc or whatever you have. There won't be an audible loss in midbass. You won't notice it. Go purchase teh 12's, amp, and a line out convertor and stick it in there. There's no sense in buying an aftermarket HU unless that's what you really want to do. And there's no sense in buying aftermarket replacement speakers unless you're going to amp them, as you won't notice an audible difference in them and stock. As for how much power the HU puts out, you'll get between 7-12 watts RMS. As you will with pretty much any aftermarket HU out there.
Old 03-29-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

I would agree with Popcorn on this one...unless you want to add speakers and an amp then you should be fine with a LLC.

As far as amping stock speakers, I actually did that for a while and they sounded better, and never blew. If you don't overdo it they will be fine.
Old 03-29-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Great info dudes
Old 03-29-2005

Thanks, that what we're here for.
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

oh i c i c u think ill need bass blockers so the stocks wont blow out?
Old 03-29-2005
Premium Member

if you amp the stock speakers you mean? Maybe, or you can adjust the crossover on the amp.
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

thanks a lot... i was thinkin jbl for the amp since it has the line level already..... this is great info! do u guys know if best buy or any local place would install the amp this way for me?..... cuz i sure dont know how to install! ahahahah
Old 03-29-2005
Premium Member

um i didn't know either. Its super easy and lot of people here that can help you. I'm sure it's already been covered what to buy if you look in ice and electrical forum. Its super easy just running cables, all the plastic panels come off like legos. Just do it yourself.
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

i dunno ill see thanks a lot everybody in here for the helP! u guys have been great! =]