I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Kenwood Mask HU Just Not Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bazookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Kenwood Mask HU Just Not Fitting

I recently purchased a Metra face plate (99-7897) for my 2004 Civic Si-G (aka EX). I was going to be installing a Kenwood PS-909 HU and while mocking up the install I noticed that the HU does not even come close to being mounted flush to the front of the face plate.

I was looking for help if possilble with anyone that may know why this is giving me such pain. Anyone that has had a similar problem? Or has tried to install a Kenwood Mask HU?

Last edited by bazookie; 03-23-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

porcChop is an unknown quantity at this point
the metra kit you have was designed to replace the trim plate of your aftermarket hu and mount it properly.

happened to me so i ended cutting the opening bigger to fit the bracket
then slide the hu in.

after awhile i just bought the metra kit with the replacement pocket
hu fit better.
Old 03-23-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Little more info, hows it not fitting. Is it not fitting width wise? Where's the cage that the radio goes into?
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by J187
Little more info, hows it not fitting. Is it not fitting width wise? Where's the cage that the radio goes into?
The width of the face plate is not wide enough as well as a little bit on the height as well.

Also I noticed that the distance of the face plate and the chasis connector is to far apart as well. They just do not seem to match up at all.

I was looking at trying to mod the face plate but the supports for the clips that hold the face plate to the dash would be weakend and not sure if it will hold.

I am going to take the HU and face plate into a local car audio store and see if they can help as well as they deal with Kenwood!

If any more info anyone knows please pass it on.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
You should probably just look into another dash kit. I didnt' realize you were trying to fit the trim ring too. Not gonna happen with that kit.
Old 03-23-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
how old is that
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
U need to insert the metal cage through the front of the kit and then lock it in place. This should help alot. Also i think u have the wrong kit. I have an 04 ex and my kit has the pocket on the bottom
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by zachgeyer
how old is that
The deck is an older deck I bought it back in '98. It fit fine in my crapy old Sunfire.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kyle23
U need to insert the metal cage through the front of the kit and then lock it in place. This should help alot. Also i think u have the wrong kit. I have an 04 ex and my kit has the pocket on the bottom
I wanted to stay away from the kit with the small pocket as I wanted to keep the existing stock storage pocket with the flap.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That's how the kit is. If you want to keep the deck trim then you need the other metra kit that replaces the pocket. Looks cleaner imo. Like this. Btw that's a nice deck you have.

Old 03-23-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I used a 99-7899 in my 05. You could try to mount in in the cage provided and slide it in. I did and it rattled like crazy ended up mounting the reciever in the OEM frame.Not perfect but better.

The kits for these cars tend to suck.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
That's how the kit is. If you want to keep the deck trim then you need the other metra kit that replaces the pocket. Looks cleaner imo. Like this. Btw that's a nice deck you have.
Thanks! The deck was costly back in '98 when I bought it. No internal amp which makes things a little costly but should have a good clean sound when I am done.

Been missing the stereo since '01
Old 03-31-2005
Registered!!

Done Up Right!!!

Finally got my new face plate that actually fits!!!

Thanks all for your help!

Old 03-31-2005
I dont know what im talking about

Supermanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
looks a lot better
Old 03-31-2005

Looks good. I installed one of those before. That thick trim was a pain in the ***** for me in a cavalier too. Pretty cool HU though. It can remotely control the power slide feature of the 98' Excellon amps. The little button at the bottom to open the unit is finicky though, only works when it wants to I've found. I like the display though. If I remember it was also the only deck around during it's time with an 8 volt preout. Looks like you went with an American International kit, no?
Old 03-31-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by J187
Looks good. I installed one of those before. That thick trim was a pain in the ***** for me in a cavalier too. Pretty cool HU though. It can remotely control the power slide feature of the 98' Excellon amps. The little button at the bottom to open the unit is finicky though, only works when it wants to I've found. I like the display though. If I remember it was also the only deck around during it's time with an 8 volt preout. Looks like you went with an American International kit, no?
Actually the kit is a Metra one. I wanted a single face plate with no pocket but my deck just does not fit in that face plate. So I had to get the one with the pocket. I just wanted to get the deck in so bad I just do not care anymore about the kit I wanted just the kit that will fit.

Yeah that was the best deck I could find at the time, not wanting flashy just a clean look. So I am kind of stuck with it for now... Not a big loss thought with all the features. Just wish it had System E's like the '99 model for a built in crossover but da well!!! I would like to get a deck with those same features that will play MP3's but I might just get a new changer or an iPod with iTrip. The crapy thing is that my old changer does not play any CD-R which is odd where the deck works fine. But that was back when CD-R was just starting so I will have to try with the new burners and CD-R's.

Thanks for the reply!!!