I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Are my subwoofer outs DEAD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to all
Are my subwoofer outs DEAD?

I have a bit of a problem, and I can't figure it out; My subwoofer channel doesn't seem to work.

First, let me list the possible things that can be at fault:

- Headunit: Alpine CDA-7965
- Amplifier: Soundstream MC245 (5-channel)
- Equalizer: Audiocontrol EQX
- Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W1 (SVC)

So, with everything hooked up, I've gotten output from the subwoofer channel maybe 3 times within the past 2 months, and it only seems to last a day, maybe 2. I tried a little test and unhooked my front and rear speakers and jacked up the volume of the headunit to 30 (between 10 and 15 are at a comfortable listening level). With the volume at 30, I can BARELY hear something coming from the sub, but it's nowhere near as loud as I heard it go.

I've tried hooking up the subwoofer channel from my headunit to channels 3 and 4 to the amp, as well as completely by-passing the EQ, but no go.

What can it be? If you need me to provide more information, please post here. I'm about to put my head through a wall!

EDIT: Also, I've played with the gains/levels (on the amp, EQ, and HU) to make sure they're high enough, but nothing.

EDIT2: Any possible fuses aren't burnt out and are working.

EDIT3: I've also used 3 different subwoofers (that work in two different vehicles), so the subwoofer itself isn't dead.

Last edited by PNOiZE; 02-19-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
did u try the other outs on your deck?
Old 02-19-2005
Premium Member

PNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to allPNOiZE is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
did u try the other outs on your deck?

I'll try that tomorrow!
Old 02-19-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
hehehehe
shoulda been the first thing u did
Old 02-19-2005
Premium Member

Ok, so I tried the other outs on my deck (both with the EQ and directly to the amp) and I'm still getting the same result.

Old 02-19-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Could your crossovers bet set wrong?
Old 02-19-2005
Banned

bad RCA's?
Old 02-19-2005
Premium Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I can't for the life of me figure it out. What gets me is that it works fine one day, but the next day it just dies.

Once I have more time, and weather permitting, I'm probably going to do a complete re-wire of my system.
Old 02-19-2005
Banned

bring your car to the mainland I will fix it up!

being on VI however, try and take it to madman mackays or forbidden audio (I would go with forbidden first of all) as they are VERY knowledgable

ask for rob when you are there