I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Are MTX amps good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mykungfuisthebest is an unknown quantity at this point
and JL is total crap btw... i had almost 2k in a jl setup and it was a joke compared to my current mtx setup... but in the end all these companys make there low end and high end stuff... i see 1k watt amps for 100 somthing bucks from some of these companys i payd 600 for my amp running at 250x2@2ohms and it will kick the **** out of systems with twice the power.
Old 04-22-2005
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
50 Watts RMS..... wow... And I thought mine was low at 500! DAMN! You'll be lucky to get the voice coils to even work, unless you get some really cheap mtx subs.
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

cxvi is an unknown quantity at this point
My appologies for reviving this old *** thread but maybe what I have to say can be of help:

I just got a 12" Pioneer (400W rms) in a sealed box (~1.5 cu ft) paired with an MTX MXA4001 at 4 ohms, wired using 8-gauge cables. It's a pretty basic setup I know, but it only cost me CAN$600 installed with taxes. I'm very impressed with the package. Even at 1/4 volume, my eyeballs start vibrating. Turning it up to 1/2, I recommend wearing eardrum protection gear in my car. Haven't tried anything louder yet. As for amplifier heat, I ran it at a "comfortable" listening volume for about 1 hour and the amp was still cool to touch. At 2 hours, it was warm.

Mind you, I've never owned an sub/amp before this install. But my point is if you don't plan to enter competitions or run your sub/amp at maximum for extended periods, then I feel any decently priced sub/amp package should be more than satisfactory. And honestly, how audible is the difference between similiarly priced packages? How much more difficult is it when you're driving 70km/h with the wind blowing and talking to your buddies inside? Granted that a $1200 JL setup would probably sound better than what I've got, but is it worth twice the coin? As economics puts it, it's all about your reservation price.

My premise for buying a sub/amp package was because with the windows down and traffic noise all around, I could barely hear the bass drum, much less the bass notes in my music. My sub alleviated this problem quite nicely. I'm certain that as long as you are reasonable in how hard you pound your subs/amps, and avoid the budget brands (ie: Quest) that cost under CAN$100 per sub or amps that are under $200, you will get clean, tight bass that should have years of good service life.

So going back to the question "Are MTX amps good," I'm going to say yes -- not because I've had experience with or compared it to other brands, but because I'm happy with the end result. The bass hits tightly and cleanly and I know I still have ample reserve in case I really want to make things loud for the car around me. Chalk one up for a satisfied MTX consumer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 065.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	57815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 057-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	57816  

Last edited by cxvi; 07-29-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2005
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
I like most MTX amps
Old 07-29-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
okay this thread dies now