I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Are MTX amps good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mattnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Are MTX amps good?

I couldnt pass this deal up on ebay. Retail $299, my price $81!

But it is refurbished, nothing wrong with that. his ebay rating was 100% at 5500 transactions.

here are the specs
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...rs/mxa4004.cfm

Power Output:
50 Watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 Ohms ≤ 1% THD+N

Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
80 dBA (reference: 1 W output)

Additional Power Output:
100 Watts RMS x 4 channels at 2 Ohms ≤ 1% THD+N
200 Watts RMS x 2 channels bridged at 4 Ohms ≤ 1% THD+N

THD+N (Distortion):
<0.25% (reference: 1 W output)

Frequency Response:
20 Hz to 20 kHz (-3dB)

Maximum Input Signal:
5V

Maximum Sensitivity:
100mV

Dimensions:
14.37 x 9.72 x 2.5 (365mm x 247mm x 63.5mm)

Old 02-18-2005
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
S/N ratio is kinda low.
Old 02-18-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Not a fan of MTX...kinda low end...but whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-18-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
SImple. Try it out, if you don't how it sounds, relist it for more than you paid.
Old 02-18-2005

alex053 will become famous soon enough
good amp that will probly do closer to 70 watts per channel with SN much lower than listed...new ones come with a test sheet. they are made here in tempe and that is an awesome price for a name brand amp
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

Mine will come with a "birth sheet" as well. They are direct from MTX, refurbished. I have no gripes with smal surface scratches when i paid less than half retail and have full mtx warranty.

I truly think mtx is a good brand. When i get the birth sheet i will try to post it up but they test the amp at 12 volts, which is norm in daily operation, not the 14 volt everyone else posts.

Spoke to a installer at Circuit city who was actually knowleadgable. and he is doing the install on the 26th.

Originally Posted by alex053
good amp that will probly do closer to 70 watts per channel with SN much lower than listed...new ones come with a test sheet. they are made here in tempe and that is an awesome price for a name brand amp
Old 02-18-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
mtx used to be good back in the day, now they're considered on the low side. I had one, worked fine for a year, still have it somewhere.
Old 02-19-2005

alex053 will become famous soon enough
i used to work at mtx w00t!
Old 02-21-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
I like mine. Good customer service when you call their hotline, too.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

Dlmille is an unknown quantity at this point
MTX is a great product manufacture my MITech. I've been through numerous MTX products as I am always changing things and have been very pleased with their performance. I love my 901D amplifier, crack it all day and it still keeps ticking.
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

Received my MTX amps and it came refurbished from the MTX factory with a Inspection Birth Certificate...

Perfect World Specs
Power output 50 W @ 4ohms <1% THD+N
Signal to Noise Ratio 80 dBA
THD+N (Distortion) .25% Reference 1W Output

Birth Sheet Measured Output at 12volts
507 Watts RMS all channels @ 2ohms
Signal to noise ratio 98dBr
THD+N .042%
^^ not a typo, compared to .25 on the web site.

Last edited by mattnyc; 02-24-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2005
Proudly Canadian

Slawek is an unknown quantity at this point
no, mtx is not good.

invest a little coin, get yourself a JL amp
Old 02-25-2005
Proudly Canadian

Slawek is an unknown quantity at this point
like a 250/1 or something, u will never regret it
Old 02-27-2005
Registered!!

I got the mtx amp installed and I added a 10" amped-sub last minute.

It thumps man! Its not obnoxious where people can hear me 5 blocks away, but when you are inside it is just too sweeeet. The best part is that everything is under 2 yr Circuit city warranty. I got luck cuz my circuit city has people who knows what they are doing. The amp, sub, and headunit were tuned to my tastes.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Review.do#tabs

Last edited by mattnyc; 02-27-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

MassMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
Cicuit City knows what they are doing? Wow, hell has frozen over. MTX no good, Audiobahn even worse.
Old 03-07-2005
Registered!!

Hmmm, for the money I'd rather have MTX over JL anyday. More performance for the money and just as good quality, IMO. I've owned some JL equipment and ended up going back to MTX. I could just be biased toward a product I've always liked. However, JL is great equipment. Just feel it's a little overpriced for what you get.
Old 03-07-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i would say if you got the bucks for JL equipment, go for it. if you dont care or appreciate your music as much as other things, then JL wouldnt be on your list.

more performance and just as good quality? a JL 10" sub rated at 200rms will own an mtx sub thats 10" rated at 200rms in any performance catergory.
Old 03-07-2005
Registered!!

southwest713 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think mtx is pretty good i have the thunder 404 pushing koda components and the 801d pushing 2 shivas and they both sound great...they're underrated too
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Sure, JL if you have the money. Bang for you buck, I'll take MTX anyday!
Old 03-08-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dlmille
Hmmm, for the money I'd rather have MTX over JL anyday. More performance for the money and just as good quality, IMO. I've owned some JL equipment and ended up going back to MTX. I could just be biased toward a product I've always liked. However, JL is great equipment. Just feel it's a little overpriced for what you get.
Whoa, when you're done with the crack pipe, pass it over. You think MTX offers just as much quality as JL Audio? You need to take another look. I have owned and install both MTX and JL audio and I can tell you it is a night and day difference my friend. Build quality and sound quality alike. I'd even go so far as to say that MTX is even comparable for the money, despite JL's much higher price, the quality/dollar ratio is STILL in JL's favor IMHO. I'm not saying MTX is garbage, I'm just saying that if you wanna save the dough, fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you got JL quality.
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
MTX was the good stuff back in the day, but now a days they aer pushing sales at Best Buy and have lowered their quality of items. If you want to stay in the MTX brand, move over to XTANT, they are a subsidiary company of MTX, now their stuff is high-end audio equipment., it is definetely NOT something you would see at Best Buy or Circuit City.
Old 03-08-2005

I have been pretty impressed by Xtant, but that is one company I would lmake the argument is overpriced.
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by J187
Whoa, when you're done with the crack pipe, pass it over. You think MTX offers just as much quality as JL Audio? You need to take another look. I have owned and install both MTX and JL audio and I can tell you it is a night and day difference my friend. Build quality and sound quality alike. I'd even go so far as to say that MTX is even comparable for the money, despite JL's much higher price, the quality/dollar ratio is STILL in JL's favor IMHO. I'm not saying MTX is garbage, I'm just saying that if you wanna save the dough, fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you got JL quality.

Well, not to start an argument. All I was saying that to most consumers, many may not be able to tell the difference between a good mtx setup and a JL setup. Granted different products, different power, different specs yield different results. I'm just saying that if someone doesn't want to spend a lot of money they can get alot of bang for their buck out of MTX. I love both brands, just in my experience I enjoyed MTX better, this is a personal preference though everyone hears things different.

Coustic, MTX, and Xtant are all made by Miteck in Pheonix Arizona at the same plant. Just different parts and specs in each product. I agree, Xtant is extremely overpriced. However, have to love their 2 channel amp that is the size of a CD jewel case.
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

I guess, I agree with everything you are saying J187. I would say if money wasn't an issue and you wanted the cleanest sound. I would go with the JL setup.
Old 03-08-2005

And for the money, I wouldn't hesitate to say MTX get the job done pretty well too. It was only the just as good quality part that got me. You are right about a lot of consumers wasting their money on high end stuff when they don't have an ear for music. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start another post to tell a funny story. Check it out, it's right along the lines of what you are saying. BTW, if I ever tell you to put down the crack pipe, that's my humor side, not my ******* side. I never mean anything in a condesending way.
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

I have the MTX 4004 and I love them. I do have a shitty 10" Audiobahn sub with self contained amp, but i love the setup.

Does it sound as nice as a custom box for 2 10W7 JL's and JL Components powered by a top shelf rockford amp? Prob not, but i saved myself 70% of what that would have cost me in a daily beater civic.

no complaints here.
Old 03-10-2005
Registered!!

No offense taken J187! Every now and then a good hit off the ole crack pipe will keep us all grounded!! haha!
Old 03-10-2005

As funny as this is, a buddy Came by yesterday with his 89 civic, I haven't seen in a long time. I went for a ride with him. His bass was hitting pretty tight, so I asked him what he had - 2 10" Boston accoustics powered by a, you've guessed it, MTX amp.
Old 03-10-2005
Registered!!

haha, honestly you just never know these days

I've heard systems that beat like heck and sound awesome and then you ask what they are using and it's some assortment of crap just installed really well and then others that people have spent $$$ on and had bad installs and it sounded like crap.

You just never know!
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

mykungfuisthebest is an unknown quantity at this point
almost every popular auto company has gone to ****... however any mtx stuff up till last 2 years is incredible i have a mtx thunder 8502 amp running 2 mtx 8000 amps and my audio guy who has been doing this since the dawn of car audio rants and raves about it... he has 2 RFL spl comp subs in his truck... ive only seen louder systems than mine at some shows, and i personaly dont think the sound quality is as good = )

Quick Reply: Are MTX amps good?