I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Need help building new system

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Need help building new system

I hope some of you can help me. I've decided to redo my setup, this time with no sub. I already have a 4 channel alpine amp (40wrmsx4) that I would like to keep if possible.

Basically I'm asking about speaker suggestions that would have some nice bass as standalone. I'm looking for components up front and prolly 2-way in rear. My car is a sedan, so they are all 6.5" speakers.

I heard good things about infinity kappa, but not sure yet. Wanted to check with you guys first. Don't want tweets too harsh, and I do want some clean bass down low for techno/pop/rock etc. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2004
Abercrombie and Fitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
ive heard good about infinity kappa too and no one i heard yet is dissappointed with them ( only the people w/ out an amp) but obviously its better to get one.... nice amp choice though man
Old 12-24-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Cool thanks. Feel free to throw out suggestions. I only wana change it once, so I'm willing to spend up to $500 for components and rear speakers. The reference 2-ways I have now are okay, but nothing special.
Old 12-25-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You're ditching the subs correct? You want to fill the lost bass as easily as possilbe correct? Adire Audio Kodas, correctly installed with baffle. Best budget bang for the buck to fill the need there. Have to trim the door some, but you'd do do pretty much anyway right? Rabbit did a more detailed explaination somewhere else on here as to how to properly baffle, so I'm not going to type it out again. Once that's done, you may, or may not desire rear fill. Infinity tweets will fill out the highs pretty well (you already have infinity's up front don't you?)
Old 12-25-2004
Registered!!

ArthurBrazil will become famous soon enoughArthurBrazil will become famous soon enough
i know many no most ppl will disagree with me but stick with the cheap alternative cough cough sorry i just XPLODed and started coughing
Old 12-25-2004
Premium Member

Well I was really looking for some components to throw in there without much modding. I don't even know where to get the adire's from. But I'll look around the forum for how to make a baffle and other stuff. I'm on a modem for another 2 weeks. Thanks everyone and keep the ideas coming.
Old 12-25-2004
Abercrombie and Fitch

Originally Posted by ArthurBrazil
i know many no most ppl will disagree with me but stick with the cheap alternative cough cough sorry i just XPLODed and started coughing
but lets take one member's analogy of a stereo system, its like crack and boy hes right. Ive bought so many "dream" speakers, components and subs. Do it right this time. Go big or go home.

Oh yeah... out of all the money ive spent on subs and amps, i could have a kickass jl audio sytem... man.......... a w7.....

Last edited by joescivic02; 12-25-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2004
Abercrombie and Fitch

by the way guys, merry christmas
Old 12-25-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...highlight=koda

WR's post detailing it, along with telling you where to buy, etc...
Old 12-25-2004
Premium Member

I saw that one thanks. Maybe I should try to improve my existing speakers. I know circuit city did a lousy job with the door speakers. The plastic spacer on one is cracked and loose even. If it's not too hard, I'm thinking of putting a layer of carpet foam over the dynamat there and making new spacers from mdf and silicone around em. Think that would help?
Old 12-25-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

It'll seal the front wave off from the back wave a whole lot better. Which, ideally, is the situation you want to create. The plastic, especially if it's cracked, doesn't do that as well as the MDF will. As for adding the layer of carpet foam, I'd consider coating with a layer of spray deadener (or rubberized undercoating either one) as it will allow you to deaden a whole lot more with a whole lot less work, and space taken up.
Old 12-26-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if you are looking for cheaper than the koda's, you ever go to best buy and see those new lines of rockford woofers? where they changed the whole industrial design of their subwoofers? when was that, like 2003 or 2004?

anyways, the rockford fanatic P component set released BEFORE the industrial redesign had some pretty solid midbass support.

also chekc out the earthquake focus 6.5 component set for solid midbass support.

neither set has the clarity of the koda set, but also neither has the same price.

kappas dont really have much in the midbass department. more like upper midbass.
Old 12-26-2004
Premium Member

Cool thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna work on the install first and then switch speakers if they're still no good. Heard anything about image dynamics components?

Also when making mdf spacer rings, I'm not sure how to design it. Should there be a groove or something for the speaker to rest in it, or is it just a trim ring? I'm guessing I'll need to buy a circle jig at least. Then seal with silicone. Just not sure how the speaker is supposed to fit.

Also how should I deaden the doors more. Right now it's just a layer of dynamat and I just bought those xorb pads to reduce back waves (they mount behind the speaker).
Old 12-26-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
other gys would be better able to tell you best how to deaden the doors for maximum effect. I deaden the skin to prevent pressure loss, and supposedly deadening the inner frame prefents energy lost through inertial losses from cone motion, I dont know the best way.

I do know the best way to deaden the skin is to use spray to get all the spaces you cant get a sheet deadener. real easy to stick the nozzle of the cna through all the small holes in the door and spray away. if you do decide to do that, not only mask your windows, but your whole car, too. overspray is a bitch....

to make baffles, all you need is a jigsaw and a hunk of wood, really. I use a rotozip. other guys use a plunge router. whatever you got. its jsut a doughnut made of wood, piece of cake. dont forget to silicone it to the door!

cheap midbassy speakers are very hard to come by. in your price range, better performance than the kodas without doing a full frankenstein component set would be very difficult. I dont think you could go wrong with those kodas.

as for the ID's, I love the chameleon horn set. But I never dit any test fitting in my car whn I had access to those horns. also, you may notice a narrow stage using them. that being said, I think you would find the ID horns outperform speakers like any tweeter in any set I personally have reccomended, along wiht any other set reccommended here.

but again, youve got a midbass problem. not as bad as he kapps, but they arent very low playing speakers.

if you do in fact find yourself unable to find a component set that plays low enough to your tastes, I would chekc out tangbands for rear speakers. they cost $40 each, and will play lower than you cna possibly believe. extend past the midbass range into upper bass. sound decent, too.

I did a hybrid with a koda set and pair of tangs in the back, and the sound is just awesome. I dont think you could go wrong using the same drivers, especailly if youve got some power to back them up.

and you could always swap the tweets for the horns in the future, or replace the koda tweets with another driver......
Old 12-27-2004
Registered!!

OhmyRocks is an unknown quantity at this point
LoL i can't belive u guys wasted your time to make a thread like this....**** a system GUT YOU CAR......................................03 CIVIC 2 SEATER.....[/FONT]
Old 12-27-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by OhmyRocks
LoL i can't belive u guys wasted your time to make a thread like this....**** a system GUT YOU CAR......................................03 CIVIC 2 SEATER.....[/FONT]
Yes, that's what this topic is for. Idiots like you to come in here and flame. Good thing you have your rep turned off. Let me guess, you drive a 10 second civic right? Why waste my time trying to make it fast when, truly, it's still a civic. If I wanted a fast car, I'd buy detroit muscle where power is easily made. Kids these days...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pleasedie.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	44394  

Last edited by PopcornPlaya; 12-27-2004 at 02:52 PM.