I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

quick disconnect for speaker cables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
quick disconnect for speaker cables?

over the winter break, im going to be flush mounting my amps in the trunk floor. I want everything to be easily detachable so i can get to the spare if need be. I have everything figured out except for the speaker wires. I noticed these
but when i called tweeter for a price, they came up as 70 each, so thats out of the question.

Another option I was thinking is the molex plugs that radioshack sells.
The only problem i see with these is that they only accept 18 guage wire. My speakers are wired with 16 guage. Will the 18 guage wire be ok conducting ~90 watts rms for 2 feet?

Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advanced
Old 11-26-2004
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
yeah those are just simple butt connecters.. just solder them to the connecters then plug um in.. it will fine as far as the flow of electricity goes.. i use to use those things all the time at uhaul doing hitches and crap..

audio is not my thing so im not sure if it will maintain the sound quality.. but electricly it should be ok..
Old 11-26-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by againifall
yeah those are just simple butt connecters.. just solder them to the connecters then plug um in.. it will fine as far as the flow of electricity goes.. i use to use those things all the time at uhaul doing hitches and crap..

audio is not my thing so im not sure if it will maintain the sound quality.. but electricly it should be ok..
uhauls are crap. of all the rental trucks i've seen, i think uhaul must be the only one that rents out POS beaters...
Old 11-27-2004
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
Go to Wal-mart, go to the automotive lighting section. They've got quick disconnect plugs with 16 wires already attached, and they're a waterproof connection. Worked fine for me.
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

that sounds like exactly what i need, thanks.
Old 11-27-2004
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
uhauls are pos cuz a lot of them have over 200,000mi all done by different drivers that have never driven a truck before....

yer right though.. they do roll a lot of crap.. the rule pretty much was "if it starts rent it"
Old 12-01-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by againifall
uhauls are pos cuz a lot of them have over 200,000mi all done by different drivers that have never driven a truck before....

yer right though.. they do roll a lot of crap.. the rule pretty much was "if it starts rent it"
and that's not the only problem, if anyone ever gets into an accident with a uhaul, expect to go through hell with the insurance company.

in canada, all the u hauls are insured in some US state (i think utah or something). i wonder how uhaul can get away with insuring their vehicles like that when the trucks aren't even being used in the state it's insured in.
Old 12-01-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
i saw a uhaul truck today broken down on the side of the road with steam going like 50 feet in the air, i thought of this thread right away lol
Old 12-01-2004
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
i saw a uhaul truck today broken down on the side of the road with steam going like 50 feet in the air, i thought of this thread right away lol
maybe that's why it's called a "u haul" you have to haul it with your own tow truck
Old 12-03-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Also, those Molex connectors aren't always the best. If you plan on disconnecting and reconnecting often, you can look into Anderson Powerpoles, I use them relatively often for battery packs and they are supposedly very low resistance. I believe the 30 amp version would be just right for you: http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PowerPole.shtml
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

they look pretty cool, but I want somthing with preferably 4 connectors so I only need one for each speaker.
Old 12-03-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Actually, they all attach to eachother however you like, you can stack 4 in a 2x2 arrangement, or 4x1, They're pretty cheap on e-bay.
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

hmmm that sounds like a good idea