I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

ALPINE custom trunk (final pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ALPINE custom trunk (final pics)

Well here it is finally. I spent a good amount of time on this even tho it's kinda simple. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions for improvement. I was thinking about carpeting the dynamat, but I don't know if it's possible with all the folds and bumps. The sub and amp is gone now.

I used a single neon in my new design and wired it to the trunk light. The sticker I got off ebay on the plexiglass. The light kinda came out brighter in the pics than in real life. Neon is gone...didn't look good with the carpet.

And now final pic with complete carpet. And yes, the carpet is a different color than the original. Still looks clean. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by gearbox; 11-26-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
clean setup, where the subs going?
Old 11-19-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
sweet! u were rocking the infiinity sub...are u still gonna rock it? i would recommend the infinity VQ. sounds effing awesome!!

yea i wanna see the complete set-up
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Just gonna stick with the alpine amp for now cause the car feels better with less weight.
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
looks nice
Old 11-19-2004

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
you probably could carpet the dynamat. use some 3m spray glue/adhesive and dap brand works just the same. dynamat is also paintable, just use a primer and you can paint it which might look kinda sweet depending on how you do it. you may want to lay the carpet a little loose though so it wont show all the bumps and stuff. but it can be done. you also might be able to use styrofoam to fill in the spare tire well around the box. just cut it to fit and then use some expanding foam insulation to fill the gaps and carpet over that to make it flush to the floor.
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member

Yeah I think I'll try that for a cleaner look. I'm gonna get some more of that carpet when I go back home hopefully.
Old 11-19-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Looking good gearbox, nice seats too!
Old 11-19-2004
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
where didya get the carpet at??
Old 11-19-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Lookin sweet, I used the same lighting concept for my Visonik logo...but the lucite has disappeared....I think it fell under the false floor.
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member

I got the carpet from a small stereo shop in Reno, Nevada. I'm hoping they're still in business. It's basically box carpeting I think.
Old 11-19-2004
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
I got the carpet from a small stereo shop in Reno, Nevada. I'm hoping they're still in business. It's basically box carpeting I think.
black graphite?
Old 11-19-2004
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
I used a single neon in my new design and wired it to the trunk light. The sticker I got off ebay on the plexiglass. The light kinda came out brighter in the pics than in real life.
weird - I was actually about to post a question on how to hard wire a neon light to the trunk rather than running the wire through the car to the cig lighter. do you have any pics of that? or maybe a good explanation on how to do it.
Old 11-19-2004
I can resist everything except temptation.

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
nice setup, simple & to the point.
Old 11-19-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Looks pretty decent.. I think if I were you, I might try some vinyl on the trunk floor to cover the dynamat, But props for being clean.
Old 11-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
wow, that's lots of dynamat u got there... lol
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member

Haha yeah wish I never did that dynamat now. Oh well.

The trunk light simply pulls out and you can unplug the harness. There are two wires. Red is power and black is ground. Tap these to whatever light source you want and it will only turn on when you have the trunk lid open.
Old 11-19-2004
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light

The trunk light simply pulls out and you can unplug the harness. There are two wires. Red is power and black is ground. Tap these to whatever light source you want and it will only turn on when you have the trunk lid open.
cool thanks for the info.. i gotta couple questions

is too much dynamat a bad thing??

ive been reading some posts and I am going to go to home depot today and pick up some "jute" for the trunk floor - got any suggestions or things to watch out for?

also - can I just use the regular Pep Boys neons that plug into the cig lighter?i have some old neons from my last car but they all are powered by the cig lighter - im not sure how it worked in the good ol lumina - but i remember splicing the lights together so they all ran off of one cig lighter plug. Now that i'm going to power them with the trunk light..can i just cut off the lighter plug and splice to the trunk light?
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member

I cut off the wires to the cig lighter plug from the neon. Just make sure you know which wire is positive (goes to the top round connector on the plug).

Hey I just got some carpet from a local shop and some adhesive spray! Too bad it's raining now. The carpet is a bit lighter, but it should look good. We'll see.
Old 11-20-2004
Registered!!

Dynamat is one of the best light weight sound damping material around. I've dynamated an Audi TT completely, (Firewall, headliner, doors, trunk, trunk floor, floor boards) and it gained almost 4dB just from that. It's gaining free sound without having to upgrade any electronics..
Old 11-20-2004
Premium Member

Yes I agree...when I had my sub in there. But still the dynamat on the rear deck and doors makes the speakers sound really nice.

Anyway, I found some carpet that's a close match and glued it to the dynamat. Took me a few hours and there is an overlap in the back where I couldn't get it to wrap around. Gonna need a new cardboard piece cause the old one is messed up.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-24-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
nice setup bro
Old 11-20-2004
Premium Member

Updated with day pic on first page! Looking so much better now.
Old 11-20-2004
Registered!!

Looks pretty good. Just a quick question, why is the rack/box that your amp is sitting in so long?
Old 11-20-2004
Premium Member

Just wanted it to take up space I guess. Wouldn't be too hard to chop off some on the bottom.

Oh the box is just a piece of cardboard with carpet glued on

Last edited by gearbox; 11-20-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
You could also spray paint over the plexi glass with a dark gray, lift up the decal and have only ////Alpine clear and glowing blue.
Old 11-20-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
thats just 1 amp powering the speakers?

no more sub?
Old 11-20-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
the trunk floor looks kinda flimsy..im guessing u took out that cardboard thingy....maybe you want to make a new truck floor template ( around ur amp ) so that its more flat and sturdy around the edge of ur trunk?
Old 11-20-2004
Premium Member

Oh I forgot to mention. The pic is of the very bottom of the trunk where the spare used to be. I actually just got done putting back the cardboard piece with carpet foam under/over it and the same carpet cut to fit on top

Looks just like stock (maybe better) at first, then you see the coolness when you lift up the cardboard. Actually, the amp and it's box (really a piece of cardboard with open sides) are recessed a few inches from where the cardboard sits.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-20-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

hmmm is there circulation for the amp? other wise its gonna over heat

Quick Reply: ALPINE custom trunk (final pics)