I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

ALPINE custom trunk (final pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You need to learn to read

I mentioned already that the sub and its amp are gone, and that there is a 2-3 inch gap between the amp heatsink and the cardboard cover. There's plenty of air and the design was done on purpose for airspace.
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm well I decided to take out the neon because it wasn't looking good at night lighting up the carpet. Setup still looks cool in daylight tho
Old 11-22-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Grey 11 is the carpet color that's stock, for future reference of course.

One suestion, what made you decide to do a box in the spare tire well versus just cutting a new trunk template tracing the carpet, and then cutting out the two holes you did with this design? Trying to save weight?
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

I just wanted something hidden that would look cool. Spare was already out for weight reasons anyways and just not needing it. I did matching carpet and put the cardboard back on so I can use the trunk while the amp and stuff is at the bottom.

So basically the trunk looks stock (except for new carpet), then when you lift it up there's the setup where the spare used to be.
Old 11-22-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Weight issues, gotcha. Rock on.
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

I guess it could have just as easily be put on the top like my old setup. Only advantage now is there isn't much to get stolen, and some thieves may not even look down there if they open the trunk and see nothing.

Any ideas about lighting? I wanted to do something cool, but the neon is just not looking right.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
How much air space do you have? I have 2 12's and i wanna do the same setup almost in the spare tire well...how much air space will i need? You set up looks sweet man I think I might try to immitate it. good job.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

I don't have a sub anymore, but I'm sure there's plenty of room down there to build a custom box. You could put the amps down there and have the subs up top.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

I really like the way yours looks man. Def. good job
Old 11-23-2004
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jeffsta17
How much air space do you have? I have 2 12's and i wanna do the same setup almost in the spare tire well...how much air space will i need? You set up looks sweet man I think I might try to immitate it. good job.
theres a DIY on making a custom sub box to fit in the tire well. But, IMO, will kill the whole trunk because you can't have anything in there that will cover the sub (jackets, clothes, backpack etc) or you can't have anything heavy or sharp that might puncture the sub.

What i did was along the same lines as him by putting my sub box (single 12) on its back in the tire well. Then I just traced the box on the cardboard floor (make sure, if ya do it, the hole for the box is almost exact so you get a really really tight fit) after that I laid the carpet over the box and cut out a square in that. it looks really clean and you can still put stuff in the trunk because the box sticks outta the floor like 4-5 inches so stuff won't roll on it. In addition, i got one of those audiobahn grills - those things are strong.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

Im doing that install tomorrow so i will post pics when im done. I got some grills and im gonna plexiglass the amp in there 2 somehow...havent figured it out yet haha. But i do like the way gearbox's looks so i might just have to try that
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

Thanks everyone. I'm happy with how it turned out.
Old 11-23-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by gearbox
I guess it could have just as easily be put on the top like my old setup. Only advantage now is there isn't much to get stolen, and some thieves may not even look down there if they open the trunk and see nothing.

Any ideas about lighting? I wanted to do something cool, but the neon is just not looking right.
LED's
Old 11-23-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by Manthatguysfast
theres a DIY on making a custom sub box to fit in the tire well. But, IMO, will kill the whole trunk because you can't have anything in there that will cover the sub (jackets, clothes, backpack etc) or you can't have anything heavy or sharp that might puncture the sub.
Not true, Grilles and recessing the subs a tad will solve this problem. It wouldn't be a good idea to have stuff like change and crap rolling around in there, but larger stuff (that won't fit in the holes from the grille) shouldn't hurt it when done correctly.
Old 11-24-2004
VtecViXen

wow. i love it, now my man needs to do my trunk like that!
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

Thanks! The lighting didn't really work, but I like how it looks during the day. It was really easy to do just a piece of cardboard and plexi with a sticker. Nice and simple I'm thinking of just leaving it like that instead of putting the cardboard and carpet back over the top. It'll save weight at least.
Old 11-26-2004
Premium Member

How much carpet did you use to cover the whole floor of the trunk?
Old 11-26-2004
Premium Member

Not much. I got a big piece just to be sure I'll post another pic today and measure it, but around 5ftx5ft should be good.
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

EternalBluePearl is an unknown quantity at this point
nice and clean, gearbox
Old 11-26-2004
Premium Member

Check out the first post for a final shot of how the back turned out. No visible seams or metal.
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

jmaz is an unknown quantity at this point
why did you get rid of your spare, when you didn't have to?
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
^^ Didn't you read the thread? He said it was for weight issues and he just didn't need it..
Old 01-12-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Where is your spare?? I am curious as to how people setup their trunk, and if they put it elsewhere, or leave it out? I would love to cut down on the space being taken up in my trunk a little more, but dont know what to do with the spare? I was thinking of mounting it under the rear bumper, but not sure if or how that would work.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Most people pull it out and shove a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor in their car. I think autozone sells a kit for like $15.00
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member

That tire is heavy! I took it out obviously and just stuffed some fix-a-flat on the side along with some tools.
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
fix-a-flat sux i hate that **** :P
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member

I kno. I wouldn't use it hopefully. Just call the tow truck
Old 01-12-2005
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
^yup - or Honda road side service