I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amps installed under seat. Any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mattnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Amps installed under seat. Any issues?

For stealth purposes i wanted to install my 4 channel amp under the seat. Has anyone done this? Anything bad about doing this? Feedback is appreciated.

There is ample room there for passengers to move the seat and not interfere with the amp. I would just have to take the seat out to install it there.
Old 10-11-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I've seen a lot of people on here do it and you shouldn't have any problems with it. If anything the problems will probably be from electrical noise caused by the air bag module mounted under the seat, but I think your chances of having this problem are trivial. Other potential small problem is that if you dont disconnect the battery before you unplug the electronics from under the seat, you may have your SRS light come on on your dash which will need to be reset, again, not a big deal.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
You may have heat issues depending on the amp. You may need to invest in a fan or some other method of cooling it.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

I actually tried to mount it to the back of the fold down seat but it wouldn't stay secure. when you drill into the back of the seat it is not solid.

Any other suggestions? I def dont want to overheat the amp.

Originally Posted by brash
You may have heat issues depending on the amp. You may need to invest in a fan or some other method of cooling it.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

Btw here is my audio equipment that needs to be installed...

Alpine 9831 already in.

Front Components Speakers
Infinity Reference 600cs

Rear Speakers
MB Quart PCE 164 Midbass driver system

Amp
Kenwood KAC-8401
Old 10-11-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
On securing to the back seat, there's several thread detailing how to secure it there on here. I'll condense it quickly. Unzip the seat, remove the plastic seat at the bottom, cut a piece of MDF to size (i'd recommend 1/2" here as it won't bulge up the carpet on the back of the seat). You have several options on securing the MDF inside the seat. Velcro, Loops around metal bars, sandwiching two pieces between the foam inside the seat and the bars in there and screwing the big panel to it, etc. From there, zip the seat back up and reseal it at the bottom. Screw amp to mdf, wire it up and BAM!!! Another round (Yeah, cheesy reference). Anyway, there are vseveral topics on mounting it on back of the seat on here. That is if you'd rather do that than mounting underseat. If you do decide to go underseat, I'd also recommend a cooling fan or three to keep it cool. Just MHO though.
Old 10-11-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
From my understanding, kenwood excelon amps overheat pretty easily, could be wrong but I've heard that. There is a DIY for installing it to the back of the seat in a very very recent post, says where to screw amp in or something, check it out.
Old 10-11-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
just put a piece of wood on the other side of the seat bracket and screw the amp thru the fabric into the wood, and secure the wood somehow to the inside of the seat if you have to, like with zap straps thru the board and attached to the back of the seat
Old 10-11-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i think it might be difficult to put an amp under the driver or passenger seat because honda uses that area to route some wires and stuff...(i think that's how honda got rid of the hump on the rear floor)

you might be able to get a smaller amp to fit under there but you might have problems if it's a huge honking one.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
I've done both.....and I easily prefer the back of the seat. I just drilled holes in the MDF and used zip ties to keep it tight under the fabric of the back seat. Once you have the wood in there, you drill the amps in and it stays tight. It's easy to hide the wires and run them that way. I still removed my seats either way though. Here are some other benefits of putting them in the trunk:

- You don't need to worry about clearance on the seat when you move the seats back and forth.
-If someone breaks into your car, they can't steal your amps without removing your entire back seat versus a couple of screws.
- Passengers in the back seat can't step on your amps as they would if they were under the seats.
-Your mats lay flat and don't cover your amps.

I'm telling you it is much better that way.