I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Cutting the metal on the doors (Pics up)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004
The LA Clipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Cutting the metal on the doors (Pics up)

...Can I cut speakers holes in the doors with a standard jigsaw or dremel?

thx

Last edited by fonto; 09-06-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
A dremel or rotozip will be much easier than a jig imo, but any of those will work, providing you have the right blade on it.
Old 08-25-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Dremel worked great for me. Used the diamond cutter bit. Noisy as all hell, but nice clean cuts.
Old 08-25-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
yea use a dremel......with fine teeth bit
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

ntense280 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would suggest using the dremel but a jigsaw with the right blade will also work.
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
whatcha puttin in?
Old 08-25-2004
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce2k2
whatcha puttin in?
Speakers I show you after I put it in.

Anyway, can someone post a pic of the right piece to use for the dremel?
Old 08-25-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

any "bit" style blade for cutting metal. Home Depot usually has them, either under the roto-zip or dremel brand.
Old 08-25-2004
The LA Clipper

Originally Posted by Mystic3030
any "bit" style blade for cutting metal. Home Depot usually has them, either under the roto-zip or dremel brand.

Like these?
Old 08-25-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I used a jigsaw (on my old car) but I'm sure a dremel will work better
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by fonto
Speakers I show you after I put it in.

Anyway, can someone post a pic of the right piece to use for the dremel?
everyone puts speakers there, put in a fridge or something

like mystic said, they look like a drill bit. rotozip packs more oomph (5A motor vs. maybe 2A) but both should get the job done. those bits are a frickin rip though, be careful not to break too many. the cost of those bits may be one reason to use a jigsaw.
Old 08-25-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Fonto, this is the bit you want: http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...1&Color=CC0000

Your link just went to the main dremel site, so I donno if you found the bit I just linked to or not. But good luck, and be carefull, thats gonna throw a TON of sparks.
Old 08-26-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
I recently purchased Kappa Perfect 6.1 and they didnt fit in my doors, I was warned strongly against cutting the metal in the door as it will rust very quickly.
Old 08-26-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

So get some clearcoat or primer and seal the bare metal...no biggie.
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I use a dremel with a cutoff wheel... jig saw or air body saw would work fantastic too

Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
So get some clearcoat or primer and seal the bare metal...no biggie.
Perhaps its that I live in Canada, the amount of snow that goes down my door in the winter,just pray your door doesn't rust!
Old 08-27-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
hell, I live in sunny california, ive noticed how easily the door corrodes compared to every other part of the car......
Old 08-30-2004
The LA Clipper

Ok, so this is why I was asking about cutting into the doors...

I picked up the speakers for $109, and I picked up this JBL BP 180.2 amp for $109 too...

...The magnets are HUGE on the woofers...I am a little nervous about if I can do this right, and cut the right size holes

Old 08-31-2004
Registered!!

check my pics, mike. those are Gabi's doors, we added one inch spacers on top of hte metal, and was able to get the door panel back on just fine, no issues.

And that gave us enough space to fit Kodas in those doors. three inches of depth

its teh one on the left. your kickers will fit totally fine
Old 08-31-2004
The LA Clipper

Cool, the main thing I am worried about is cutting the metal and getting the whole right. I like the way you did it with cutting the lines and hammering the edges out...it seems to make the most sense it I want to do it easily.

The good thing is that the speaker is only 2" deep...so there is a good chance that I may not even need a spacer
Old 08-31-2004
Registered!!

youll want one, it makes cutting the hole easier, and matching the speaker up to get a good seal
Old 08-31-2004
The LA Clipper

Thanks WR...I made some spacers today out of 3/4" MDF...however, I won't be able to install the speakers until next week
Old 09-06-2004
The LA Clipper

pics of the finished product...pics here
Old 09-06-2004
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Looks good...

3-way system now?
Old 09-06-2004
The LA Clipper

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
Looks good...

3-way system now?

Yeah, it's a 3-way
Old 09-06-2004
Banned

How does it sound? I take it you don't have the tweeters up in the sail panels anymore

What deck do you have?
Old 09-06-2004
Registered!!

thejdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid question probably, how did you get the spacer to stay on the panel? Also, nice setup man! I've always installed my own ****, but I've never custom made my own spacers or ****, just used the stock spacers, but I'm looking to get bigger front speakers.

jDoG
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

I hope yuou took lots of pics, I got WASTED at SQ this weekend for not having enough pictures.... even pictures as stupid as ones of the speakers in place to show that I put four screws into the speaker instead of two.....
Old 09-07-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
good job man
Old 09-07-2004
The LA Clipper

Man, I replied to Megahertz questions a few times and the site kept losing the post...so I gave up

thejdog, I drilled holes in the spacer and put a screw strait through it into the sheet metal.

WR, The only pics I took are on my SD webpage...I prolly should have taken more, but I hate taking pictures when installing stuff. I don't know if I am going to enter to many more SQ comps...I wanted to choose after that last comp to do either SQ or SPL...and I just don't have the time, money, and skills to compete seriously in SQ...SPL is a lil easier...but I am always shooting for SQL

Quick Reply: Cutting the metal on the doors (Pics up)