I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Auxiliary input with blue backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RFnoyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Auxiliary input with blue backlighting

Hey all! I just added an auxiliary input (Logjam/PIE part #HON98-AUX) to my 2003 Civic so I could listen to tapes and MP3s. My addition was that I put a blue backlight on the jack, which serves a few purposes:

- I can find the stereo jack in the dark
- it indicates whether the jack is grounded to the car or not (via the switch)
- it looks cool!
- it lights up my drinks at night

So whaddaya think? If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post some instructions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0744.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	36494   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0734.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	36495   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0736.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	36496  
Old 08-20-2004
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
doesn't look too bad...
Old 08-20-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Pretty nice, make a DIY on it, we get lots of questions in here about doing an aux in
Old 08-21-2004
Registered!!

eni9ma is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this what you bought?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98aux.html

It looks like its just plug and play, can you confirm that? I am also interested in doing this mod. Thanks in advance. Oh yea good job dude
Old 08-21-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Now all you gotta do is change the dash lights to blue so they match the cluster Looks good tho.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by eni9ma
Is this what you bought?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98aux.html

It looks like its just plug and play, can you confirm that? I am also interested in doing this mod. Thanks in advance. Oh yea good job dude
Thanks! Yeah, that's the input that I used (the PIE HON98-AUX). It was very easy, totally plug and play. Two quick points though:
1. They mean it when they talk about grounding issues. If the ground isn't set up right, the noise overwhelms the music signal (not just a little static).
2. For my 2003 Sedan, I had to use the 2004 instructions (found here: http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/04cdcass.pdf ) in order to get to the back of the stereo. Everything came apart with 4 screws and a bunch of panel clips. If I had followed the 2003 instructions, I would have done some damage...

Everything else is cake- the little panel covers pop out easily, and you can mount the connections right there (or you could run the wires through to the center console).
I'll try to get my act together to post a DIY describing the aux input and how the backlight works.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

eni9ma is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RFnoyz
Thanks! Yeah, that's the input that I used (the PIE HON98-AUX). It was very easy, totally plug and play. Two quick points though:
1. They mean it when they talk about grounding issues. If the ground isn't set up right, the noise overwhelms the music signal (not just a little static).
2. For my 2003 Sedan, I had to use the 2004 instructions (found here: http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/04cdcass.pdf ) in order to get to the back of the stereo. Everything came apart with 4 screws and a bunch of panel clips. If I had followed the 2003 instructions, I would have done some damage...

Everything else is cake- the little panel covers pop out easily, and you can mount the connections right there (or you could run the wires through to the center console).
I'll try to get my act together to post a DIY describing the aux input and how the backlight works.
Awesome! Thanks man.
Old 08-25-2004
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
where did you get the glow in the dark stereo jack from?
Old 08-26-2004
Registered!!

I made the backlit stereo jack- I glued a regular panel-mount stereo jack into a machined acrylic housing. The acrylic piece has some white paint on the back to diffuse the light coming from a blue LED that is located behind the little panel cover.

I'll try to post a DIY (with drawings) on both the auxiliary input and the backlight, but it won't be for a few weeks. I think there is a way to do the backlight without needing a machine shop, but I'll have to think about it...
Old 09-07-2004
ry
darkness

ry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of lightry is a glorious beacon of light
anyone have a wiring diagram of this? looks like it can be done the same way as pioneer cdplayers, all you have to do is connect the pins to the correct pins on the cdchanger input and you just saved 50 bucks
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

savedadogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool, I thought I had to buy an aftermarket radio just to get the aux in. Can you make a DIY?