I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amp security

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treellama is an unknown quantity at this point
Amp security

Some jerk broke into my car this weekend and took my amplifier and all my toll change (but left a CD changer, head unit, subwoofer, component speakers, and the sub amplifier). I finally bought an alarm, but the guy putting it in told me what I already knew - it's only a deterent. He suggested chaining down the subs and the amps. I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and what they chain them to? Those heavy-duty bike locks are sort of what I'm thinking.

Number two, now I need to get a new amp. I had a 4 channel MTX, with about 50W x 4 (which was plenty loud enough for me). The front speakers (JL Audio components) sounded great, but the rears (Infinity Kappa 6x9s) always sounded a little muddy. I'd like to try an amp that had some crossover adjustment, because I think the bass was a little too severe, or maybe out of sync with the sub. Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The back seats are already locked. Just get inside and tie down the trunk lid. You can run some bike lock wire through holes in the lid and a spot below the carpet where the jack is. But first, unhook the trunk release lever so you can't open it from the front seat. It will make things much harder for thieves.
Old 07-06-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You could also replace your trunk floor with a sheet of 3/4 mdf. Once you do that, put some metal plates on each side where the screws will go through the floor. Drill holes in each plate, and in the mdf, run a bolt through it, and put a nut on the other side. They'll have to take out the entire trunk floor to get the amp out. to secure your subs. Unload the box. From inside the box, run a screw through the box into the trunk floor. Reload your box. They'll have to take the sub out of the box to get it out.
Old 07-06-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
What I did was make a false floor that covers my whole trunk. I have spare tire under there, and the whole thing swivels up on a hinge which is attached to a piece I made that is bolted with hex bolts to the little hump thing between the trunk and back seats.

I screwed the box to the base that it sits on from the underneath, so that it's almost impossible to get out. The amp is mounted on the side with the mounting screws under the cover plates which are held on with hex keys.

All in all very secure I think

Looks 100% stock from the outside
Old 07-09-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Tamper proof torx screws to hold down the amp. =)
Old 07-09-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Torx headed drywall screws will rip out if someone grabs an amp and yanks. Just make it so everything will take them a long time to rip out, then they just wont bother. They dont want to be sitting in your car for an extended period of time.