I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

custom trunk enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
custom trunk enclosure

ok i want to build my trunk enclosure and make a false floor and sink my amp into it and put plexiglass over it. 1st question should i put two cpu fans under it to remove hot air or will the amp be fine in that box just sitting there in the heat it is a rockford fosgate amp. 2nd i want to take the box that i have now and lay it down in the trunk and sink it into the floor and then angle it towards the back of the car but i want to put carpet all the way around it and make it look all smooth and have nothing showing but the two 12's how can i do this. thanks for the help.
oh yeah and one more question if i want to invert a sub how do you wire that up. thanks again
Old 03-09-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
yes, cpu fans good, I'd say to blow one or two out of the box, and one or two on the amp to cool it. Or, you could always position it infront of the port.
Old 03-09-2004
I R T3H 1338
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

auto84 will become famous soon enoughauto84 will become famous soon enough
wiring on the subs-

both inverted - wired normal

(as long as they are the same really but i like wiring them normal, so when dumb azzes look in your trunk they cant say "hey you wired your sub backwards"

one inverted - one wired + to - and - to + (reverse for the one inverted, or the one in the box, but not the same)

neither inverted - wired normal
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

yeah i thought i would sit the amp on risers like a 1/4 of an inch and then put fans under it
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

ok guys i need some ideas, i went out to the car and looked at what i have. and i see that i cant lay my box down. because i have a q logic box and its way to thick to lay down and i want to keep the box i have. i still want to sink the amp into a false floor w/ plexi over it. but i dont know what to do w/ the box how can i make it look nice what can i build to make it look better than just a box. thanks for ideas and if you have pics it would be great
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if you cut out a board that contours to your trunk walls, then it looks like the back of the trunk, with a subwoofer sticking out. the sides of the box can then be used to hide the amplifiers, out of sight, out of mind.

then with the seats folded up, youll never see the ugly rear of the box or wiring, but still have easy acess to tune the amps and stuff.
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

well i was going to put the amp in the floor under a false floor with plexi over it. so you think i should build a board up around the box and then carpet it so it looks like the walls?
Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
yep, i do.

It is also my opinion that plexi almost always looks terrible. realistically, the false floor will look far worse than the trouble you put into building it makes it worth.

if you really really really want to do a false floor, i suggest flushmounting hte amplifiers, aesthetically, i believe it looks much much much nicer, and its far easier to get to look good, since you dont have to worry about all teh crap underneath and prissying up the area around the amp in the spare tire well.

but overall, i still reccommend hiding the amplifiers behind the trum for the subwoofer box so that they are jsut plain never seen.
Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

cool, but how do you flushmount amps ive never really seen how to do this, thanks again for all the info
and also just a dumb question if you build a wall all the way up to the top of the trunk then how does the sound bounce off the back and come back into your cabin

Last edited by realitycheck; 03-10-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

nunzio42 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude if u are into drawign and stuff.......get a nice piece of plexy....and some black paint. Paint a design on the plexy....allow to dry, and then install it like u said above.......above the amp. Throw a neon in there that is hooked up with the trunk light or a constant draw, and then when u open the trunk not only can u see amp under the design....but it is really custom......i had ti done in my last car and it looked great!......drawed a lot of attention at shows as well.
Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

well im thinking of taking the rockford fosgate symbol and etching it into the plexi w/ my dremel tool and then put 4 red l.e.d.'s in the plexi so it will make the symbol glow but i might try that w/ the paint the might work good how could you make it smoked looking