I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

First time HU installer question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmark3 is an unknown quantity at this point
First time HU installer question.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic LX coupe that I bought a Pioneer DEH-P5500MP HU for and am about to install. I think the install will go ok except I'm not sure about one of the wires coming from the harness. From the Pioneer harness there is a Blue/White wire witha female metal connector that says the following in the manual " to system control terminal of the power amp or auto-antenna relay control terminal". On the wiring harness that came to connect the new HU to the stock harness there is a blue/white wire that says "power antenna" on it. Do I connect these two together? Also since there is no male connector on the non-Pioneer harness should I trim the female end and connect that way or buy a male connector and connect it that way? Thanks for the help, I'm a newbie so please be gentle if this is a repeat I searched first and couldn't find exactly what I was trying to ask.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds like the remote turn-on lead wire. That should be the wire that connects to an external amplifier that turns on the amp when the HU is on. So i'm pretty sure that you could just leave that one alone unless you have an external amp. Not everyone makes wiring harnesses with the same color codes. Also... you don't have a power antenna. Just make sure everything works as it is suppose to before you screw everything back in.
Old 09-16-2003
Registered!!

UrbanHaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, since we're talking wiring... =)

I recently took out my old DEHP 6400 and *ahem* tried to install a DEHP8500MP, and it works fine, but since then my lights in my dash, the ac control lights, and my shifter lights dont work...

I've already posted about this in the problems/issues section, but I figure I'd get more coverage this way.. I've already checked and rechecked fuses

On the pioneer there is an orange wire with a white stripe that says illumination, and on the Honda wiring harness, 2 orange wires.. one without a white stripe that says illumination, and one WITH a white stripe that says Dimmer... I just connected the 2 illumination wires... Did i mess up? i cant my lights on the dash to work anymore!!

HELP!

Thanks

DOug
Old 09-16-2003
Registered!!

bmark3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since my DEH-P5500MP doesn't have a dimmer I just left that wire capped off. I've had no trouble as of yet with any interior/exterior lights not working. Hope that helps. There's also one fuse that everyone seems to miss from what I've read on other posts, I think its labeled "backup" but don't quote me on that.
Old 09-16-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
yeah although they say illumination/dimmer, i think you want to connect the dimmer wire (from honda) to the illumination wire (from pioneer). the purpose of that wire is to be hot when the headlights are on so the buttons light up.
Old 09-16-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Litespeed
Also... you don't have a power antenna. Just make sure everything works as it is suppose to before you screw everything back in.
Yes we do have powered antennas. That doesnt refer to a power retractable antenna, it's for the booster. If you dont hook that up, you can forget about getting FM reception.