Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Leaking suspension?

Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30Wololo is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaking suspension?

While changing oil for my Honda Civic 2014, my mechanic found some leaks on the rear suspension (see picture 1 below).
He made it sound like the car was in bad shape and should be fixed soon (I bought this car used and we didn't find any issue during inspection with different mechanic).
Looking at the picture, I can see the leak but not sure how serious that is - the car seems to drive smoothly so far and didn't notice anything until he pointed this out.
He quoted me about $350 to fix this...what do you think? The car only has 23k miles; should I go ahead and fix it or is it ok to wait until normal replacement time for suspension (I read somewhere it usually lasts until 50-60k miles).

picture1

Last edited by 30Wololo; 01-05-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaking suspension?

2014 with low miles. The leak trail looks very minor, but unusual. Most leakers will have a fairly even film of oil and dirt, not a single trail like a drip walking around the tube.
Do the bounce test on the rear end for shock absorbers. (google it for examples).

If it's not excessive I might let it go until it is a noticeable issue.

I have had to replace bad rear shocks on identical cars only a few times, but those were completely shot, leaked tons of oil out, bouncing far too much.