Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

HID lights melt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003
< My future wife.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Talking HID lights melt?

Do HID bulbs melt your stock headlight housings?

I bought purple HID bulbs from www.eurodezigns.com, and they seem big on bragging about how HOT they can get their bulbs (5200 Kelvin).

I don't want to melt out my stock headlights or else i'll be forced to get angel eyes.

haha...
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

izmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really nice
yeah burn out those stock headlights and get angel eyes, those look pretty tite...does eurodezigns warranty damage to your headlights?

I live in baltimore too, we should meet up sometime...do you have a black civic, I saw a sweet one the other day, was that you?
Old 05-17-2003
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
oh snap.. yea that was me i think! I was the one with the stock rims, no tint, no exhaust, no sound system, no LED gauges, no intake... and the purple neons.

hey but i have black tire shine and car wax!

you gotta respect that.
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

Weaponx12o is on a distinguished road
what brand bulbs were they? and how many watts does it says it produces? HID type bulbs are usually hotter than stock because they have a higher wattage. MTEC bulbs however have the same wattage as stock and wont harm the housing. stock wattage is around 55-60 watts. most HID style bulbs run at 80+. those run the risk of melting your harness or housing. btw, search.
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point

So many misinformed...

HID generate more light output and run higher voltage, but actually use half the wattage of traditional halogen. About 35W. This generates considerably lower heat. So no HID will not melt the headlight housings because they generate even less heat than halogen bulbs.

I have the Catz HID kit in my car.
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

Weaponx12o is on a distinguished road
thats ONLY if you get a HID KIT. he's talking about just bulbs. HID STYLE bulbs. most generate more heat than stock bulbs (excluding MTEC 2x). you are right, but only with HID kits. he clearly shows just the bulbs, not the kit. i know you spent all that money for the kit, but please make sure you read thoroughly, before making any judgments. have a nice day

Last edited by Weaponx12o; 05-17-2003 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Re: HID lights melt?

Originally posted by armieo

I bought purple HID bulbs from www.eurodezigns.com, and they seem big on bragging about how HOT they can get their bulbs (5200 Kelvin).

I don't want to melt out my stock headlights or else i'll be forced to get angel eyes.

haha...
maybe next time you should research the item your buying before dropping he cash down. Its possible to damage the housing with hotter bulbs and buying angel eyes are really gonna do any good either. just kee an eye on things and if they start llloking like they are gonna do some damage pull them off and research next time
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Weaponx12o
thats ONLY if you get a HID KIT. he's talking about just bulbs. HID STYLE bulbs. most generate more heat than stock bulbs (excluding MTEC 2x). you are right, but only with HID kits. he clearly shows just the bulbs, not the kit. i know you spent all that money for the kit, but please make sure you read thoroughly, before making any judgments. have a nice day
I believe the original question was
Doesn't HID bulb mean a 35W D2S or D2R bulb? I never knew those cheap Asian knockoff halogens were now referred to as "HID". So yes, I did read the question exactly as was.
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

Slumpert is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually you all read his post wrong.

He thought the 5200 was the actual physical temperature of the bulb.
In reality they are talking about the color eqivilent of the bulb. The wattage of the bulb determins the "Heat" the bulb gives off. HID lamps are about 6X more efficient than halogens so you get about 3X the light for half the "Heat"

Slump
Old 05-17-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
The kelvin is the color temperature. It has nothing to do with the actual heat produced by the bulb. They cheapo HID imitation bulbs mostly do this with tint.

If you keep the stock wattage, then they won't run any hotter than your original bulbs.

If you go to higher wattage you can get extra heat, and also overload the stock wiring system.

So just stick with stock wattage and use any silly kelvin temp that you like.
Old 05-18-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
From my experience all hondas i've seen with 'fake' HID bulbs had no problems. i bought some from ebay when i first had my stock headlamps and they worked fine. Mitsubishis seem to have a problem with them tho, the wires get cozy and melt together along with the little bulb holder thing (socket?) =\
Old 05-18-2003
Registered!!

riverrat is an unknown quantity at this point
some manuf are trying to take advantage of ignorant people by claiming there bulbs are HID, but unless you buy the HID kit, there is no comparison. i bought the K2 brand HID conversion kit that is 8000K and they look awesome. i had a cop in arlington, tx pull me over the first night i had them just so he could ask what they were. i piad a little less than $400 - well worth it since my old high watt HID imitations kept burning out after a couple months.
Old 05-23-2003
< My future wife.

Oh well thanks for the huge debate on these cheap HID knockoffs... I finally got them in.... and I daresay for the amount of money I spent, I'm quite happy.

armieo
Old 05-23-2003
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by klam

So many misinformed...

HID generate more light output and run higher voltage, but actually use half the wattage of traditional halogen. About 35W. This generates considerably lower heat. So no HID will not melt the headlight housings because they generate even less heat than halogen bulbs.

I have the Catz HID kit in my car.
wut he said --^^
Old 05-23-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh well thanks for the huge debate on these cheap HID knockoffs... I finally got them in.... and I daresay for the amount of money I spent, I'm quite happy.

armieo
I hope you found out what you wanted to know.

Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

leon868 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HID lights melt?

haha...
In taiwam HID bulbs have many young guy change this stock...
because very "cool"..just like you say "like angel eyes...
i don,t like because too explene...taiwam HID NT$18000..oh my God
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	¸_¬¡«á-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	2655