Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Variable back pressure exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Variable back pressure exhaust?

In the book "Civic Duty" there's a pic of an exhaust that has a flap cover on it with holes in it to change the amount of back pressure as you change how much you press the gas. Has anyone ever seen one of these before? Is it legit or a gimmick?

IronFist
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I think arospeed makes something like that, they call it an exhaust control system...check it out!
Old 10-25-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
That appears to be more for sound control than performance and backpressure, but similiar idea I guess.

The valve I was talking about opens and closes on its own I assume. I don't think it's driver controlled like the one above.

Probably just a gimmick, tho, or else more people would use them I assume [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

IronFist
Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
there is an exhaust, or a muffler anyway, that i saw in an import mag that has rings or large washers that can be removed or added to change backpressure and sound, i believe. I dont know if that is what u r talking about or what. i thought it was kinda interesting tho.

Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Domestics call it a butt-plug and I do too.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
nissan uses a muffler like that...

[hr] Variable-Capacity Muffler

Delivers wide-open power-boosting exhaust flow without blowing Maxima's quiet, stealthy cover. A special valve stays closed when revs are low (e.g., when you're sitting at a stop light), and opens when engine speeds rise to allow for maximum flow and full-tilt horsepower.
[hr]

mark
Old 10-31-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, the Aerospeed one is only for muffling since it's not dynamic. One that changes the backpressure of the exhaust system with the engine rpm's is actually good for performance. I know that one other sport compact had a variable exhaust system, forget which one though. Toyota Corolla maybe? Anyway, the real deal is good for performance. If I could I would swap in one from another car. An aftermarket one that is... I'll have to do some research...
Old 10-31-2002
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
An engine is an air pump. An air pump makes more power by moving more air in and out of it. Moving air out of an engine means having an exhaust that flows well and maintains exhaust gas velocity at the valve. Anything that restricts that flow (backpressure) reduces power. What you want to control is exhaust gas velocity. Under some conditions (low rpm), a smaller exhaust header can maintain velocity better than a larger header and make more power at that particular RPM. It ain't backpressure, it's properly tuned exhaust at that RPM that makes the difference. The notion that backpressure is good at low RPM is BS.
Old 10-31-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, exhaust gas velocity. At lower rpm's you want the exhaust system to be of a smaller diameter so that the exhaust gases don't get a chance to cool down and therefore slow down. I know about headers and the concept of shockwave tuning, but these variable exhaust systems only work within the muffler. I'm not exactly sure how they increase performance (backpressure was the wrong term to use; lord knows I've heard it way too often). I think I saw a commercial for a car with that kind of exhaust system and they showed a cut away. It looked like a valve controlled how much piping the exhaust gases went through within the muffler. Seems weird though 'cause I think this would only have an effect on reducing noise from the exhaust.

I guess a true variable exhaust system would have two pipes leading from the header on back with different diameters. The one with the smaller diameter would be open at lower rpm's and the one with the larger diameter would be open at higher rpm's. Seems kinda bulky though...
Old 11-01-2002
SMX
Registered!!

I think Yamaha had a variable exhaust a few years ago on their sportbikes. Can't remember what it was called but as I recall it was designed to maximize exhaust gas velocity at low rpms while opening up to support WOT rpms as well. Kinda like VTEC for your headers.
Old 11-01-2002
SMX
Registered!!

Now I remember - EXUP (i think)