Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Is an intake + intercooler feasible on a NA vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Is an intake + intercooler feasible on a NA vehicle?

I know it's for previous gen Civics, but I imagine it would be fairly easy to fabricate something that would fit ours.

Here

Is this going to work? The big filter goes in your grill I guess and would pick up not only a bunch of air, but a bunch of COLD air. I guess it would be pretty easy for water to get in, though. It says it has a filter for dirt and debris and stuff.

But aside from that, do you think it would work?

IronFist
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
this item has been flamed on for some time now. from what i remember, it's pretty much crap
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

NBlarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh, that's not an intercooler, that's just a filter, intercoolers are for cooling boost on turbo setups.
Old 08-11-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Oops!

It said intercooler so I was like "hmm, maybe that's what it is." Thanks for the correction.

IronFist
Old 08-11-2002
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think its crap but the problem would be that the filter would take a lot of damage and would be hard to avoid it from getting water in it............
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

Zenogias is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicMexicano
I don't think its crap but the problem would be that the filter would take a lot of damage and would be hard to avoid it from getting water in it............[hr]
agreed

Old 08-13-2002
Premium Member

What about just brining the opening of a regular intake to the front of the car by the grill. It would be smaller then, like normal intake diameter. Then you could just use a bypass valve or something to ensure no water gets in, right? Then you'd get mad cold air from the front of you car! In my newbie head this sounds like it would work, but now someone here can tell me why it wouldn't [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

IronFist
Old 08-13-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
bypass valve only works when filter element is fully submerged... water splashing on the filter can get through the bypass valve...

and in the case of our big big filter here, thats a lot of area to cover for it to be fully submerged and for the bypass valve to work...

but anyway I just read what u said again, so I just realized this isn't what you're asking for..

the AEM CAI is a pretty close to what you're asking for... except its just not located in the front of the radiator... its located behind it...

there's more things to worry about on the road then water, you know.

I mean, what u suggest will work fine on the track. but I wouldn't use it for everyday driving. in fact, the improvements, if any, isn't even worth the trouble.

I think you're going too nuts over all these intake deals. do you have one on ur car yet? I think you should just buy one, even if its a waste of money.

have a little fun with it, decide if you want to keep it or not, or is it worth it or not. develop your own opinion on these aftermarket products by actually owning it. in the end, I think it would be a good experience.
Old 08-13-2002
Premium Member

I think you're going too nuts over all these intake deals. do you have one on ur car yet?

Nope. I'm trying to learn all I can before I order one so I can get the best one. My goal is to get an intake and then post here "hey guys I installed ___ intake and it's awesome," and not "I installed ___ intake and my car is slower now." I hear some of them do that

IronFist