Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Greddy Evo = rust??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aferenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Greddy Evo = rust??

I've been looking around a lot for a good quailty exhaust system. I'm think I'm ready and I'm going with the evo. Has anyone who has owned greddy products in the past ever had a problem with them rusting? I live kinda close to the beach. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-31-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
i have the EVO, but havent had it that long only about a month....
no rust yet...
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
the muffler itself is stainless steel, so that won't rust, and the piping and resonator are aluminum (2.5" i believe) so that won't rust either. i believe the aluminum has some sort of ceramic coating on it too. you should be okay, but the muffler is designed to be out in the elements cause it's (duh) a muffler. i think if it rusts you could just contact GReddy. my opinion is that you should be fine though.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
the piping is not aluminum, it is aluminized steel, and it will rust. I know some peop[le who live in ocean city nj and a non stainless exhaust lasts them roughly 2 or so years, then again they live right on the beach, so you could fair better.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
my bad, i thought it was aluminum. anyway, the muffler is stainless so that should last a while.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]the piping is not aluminum, it is aluminized steel, and it will rust. I know some peop[le who live in ocean city nj and a non stainless exhaust lasts them roughly 2 or so years, then again they live right on the beach, so you could fair better. [hr]
he is right, the "mid piping" will rust after awhile. my local tuner shop said not to get the "evo" cuz of this problem. if you want stainless steel, get the Skunk2, Maganaflow, Thermal R&D, or Tanabe (when it comes out).
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

slammed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend has a '96 Honda Del Sol, with a full Greddy Exhaust, and after a few months his muffler began to rust, just a little, (we live in toronto,canada) so its not even so cold here or so much snow at all, and he took it to the shop and they said it does happen sometimes with Greddy, but theyw ill not replace it until it actually becomes a HOLE, this is Greddy's Warranty, only if its a hole, rust or surface rust they dont give a damn $hit
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

otep12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah it'll rust. Mine's rusted already. Had it for about six months now. It's been thru flood and snow already.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the magnaflow on the vic but had a Trust (Greddy) cat-back on an accord in the past. It's still sitting in the garage waiting for ebay. Off on a tangent... Anyhow, the muffler is stainless and does have a little rust but I think it will polish out. The piping is rusted pretty good. It is some kind of ceramic stuff and I don't think it would make 5 years. It's just surface rust but it would be a lot worse if had been on the car all this time. It was on the car for a year and a half and has beens sitting in the garage for a little over 3 years now. If you live on the coast I would spend the extra cash and get something completely stainless or galvanized. Even stainless is going to rust but should last for quite a while.
Old 08-01-2002
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
dang, rust...that sux!!! I guess no Greddy for me, even though I live in Texas and rust shouldn't be a prob... DC TCS here I come!!!
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

aferenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks big time for the advice. I sure don't want to pay $500 for something I'm going to have to replace in a few years. I like the TCS but import tuner said it adds 1.8HP to the wheels, skunk2's website says it adds 5 HP to the wheels, but I don't like the idea of anything with a cap-on silencer, and don't want anything too loud. Well back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

y2k2ciVic is an unknown quantity at this point
if u live in florida like i do forget it, EVERYTHING rusts, even stainless steel. hehe j/p
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

Ichiban is an unknown quantity at this point
you could wrap that heat resisting stuff around the piping. That would help. But i have one and its not rusted yet. I have been through snow and stuff with it. I just rinse off the salt with a hose. IMO the EVO sounds the best on any car.