Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

just installed 7440 bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
just installed 7440 bulbs

hey,

so i got the PIAA 7440 bulbs for my blinkers. i wanted to have them only blink and not be on with the parking/headlights.
BUT, if you've read that they just go in like the stock bulbs, that is NOT the case!! in order for the 7440 bulbs to fit into the stock sockets, you have to file or shave some of the plasic on the inside of the socket off. i did it with an exacto knife, but i think there might be a better way...maybe with a small file or something (i didnt have one). so in short, if youre thinking about doing this mod, beware that its not a plug and play.

plus im kinda afraid now that my blinker bulbs will fall out. theyre in there pretty securely, but they didnt exactly snap in there like the 7443 bulbs do.
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
I was just about to say the same. I just got my 7440s for the front turn signals, and as I tried to replace the 7443 bulbs, they wouldnt click into place. They stay loose and they need to be pressed in for the contacts to touch. I'm now trying to figure out whether I should just go for 7443s and have the ugly yellow on with my parking lights, or if I should try and fit the 7440.

Hey PbFoot: What part of the socket did you shave to get it to fit...i cant seem to figure it out.
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i already installed everything so im not about to go and take it apart [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] but if you look inside the socket for the blinker bulb and examine both the 7440 and 7443 bulbs side by side to see what part of the base is diferent, you can figure out which part to shave off. i know this is vague, but i dont know how youre holding it...you know?

i can tell you this tho, its like a plastic ridge thats in one of the corners of the socket. if youve tried to press the lightbulb in using some force, you probably made some denting on the part that needs to be shaved. thats really the best way i can describe it. and dont shave too much off cause you dont want the bulb too loose in there, since it doesnt really fit like its supposed to. you dont want that thing falling out in your housing and then having to remove the whole housing to get that thing out.
also make sure both the wires on the 7440 bulb are bent in the same direction, youre going to have to kind of bend it around a groove in the base of the bulb so it doesnt go over the bump (you know what im talking about??) but it works. also dont forget to test how the bulb works, cause i put one of mine the other way around the first time and it was on with the driving light but didnt blink...so you just have to flip it.

let me know how it went.
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
I figured out what parts needed to be shaved...I noticed the denting you were talking about. I didnt shave too much so it was still a struggle to get the 7440s in (that way I could still use 7443s if I wanted) and I'll doubt they'll fall out.

However, I didnt bend any of the wires in any way. I just stuck the bulb in...and tested it of course and it worked...blinked only with signals/hazards and not on with parking lights.
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

awesome! glad to help. dont you love these simple DIYs??? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have thought about doing that also but since I like the full 3 Xtremes matching I decided to just stick with that, but yeah that is unique having just a turn signal.

Nick
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

sham01ski is an unknown quantity at this point
if you hate the yellow just do the DIY cleared out headlight, it really looks a lot better than a stock...