Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

PLEASE weigh in with your knowledge!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002
The Righteous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RBABE is an unknown quantity at this point
PLEASE weigh in with your knowledge!!! HELP!!!

I have an EX 01 CiViC Auto. Coupe and have been told two different supposed facts from incredibly knowledgable people and I need to know which one is the truth!!! I was told by a HoNdA car care provider owner and a long-term dealer mechanic that short ram intake is a wash with stock intake; meaning it does the same as the stock intake. This person said that only a cold air intake would improve performance and my ride being Auto. means that cold air is a pain in the **** to do or atleast in my paticular situation! THEN, a really smart kid with plenty of hands on knowledge about performance mods tells me that shot ram and cold air intakes are about the same as far as improving performance, they both improve it a bit about the same! SO, WHICH ONE IS IT? ARE THEY THE SAME OR IS ONE BETTER THAN THE OTHER AND WHICH ONE IS BETTER IF ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER? Please excuse me if this is a repeated question because I'm a newbie and did look for an answer for this already but if I missed the answer somehow then please point me in the right direction, thank you! My ride is using short ram right now and I'm wondering if I should go make it cold air because cold air will improve it even better or not? THANKS!!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
you lose low end with intakes and they only give a little in the top. that is why someone told you intakes are not that better than stock. cold intake is only a slight gain over the short so it's really a question if the slight gain is worth it for you.
Old 05-30-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
No real gains with either. Some people think they look good or sound good. That's about all they are good for.
Old 05-30-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
mostly likely people buy because of better sound . performance go with cai
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
This is what i heard go with the Injen short ram intake for the auto but i say go with the AEM CAI for looks and performance plus it looks tight!
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

phlipsidez is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno much about anything, but i did read in a Honda Tuning mag that when they added headers, intake, and exhaust on a 7th gen civic, it gave a 5 hp gain..... weak as hell.... this car doesn't respond to aftermaket parts.... that's why i'm not messing with performance mods. it's a waste of money imo, unless you are in it for the looks or sounds.
Old 05-30-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
That's right phlip

Until one can go with forced induction, nitrous, or builds up an all motor performance engine, none of this hang on stuff will reallly do much for performance.
Old 05-30-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
do you feel a difference with your short ram?

you probably didn't.

that'll answer your question.

in fact, I'm sure you've lost some torque. I lost my top speed when I swap in the short ram intake. it may sound cool, but my mpg is worse and well, the the torque lost is felt indefinitely.

a cold air, may actually improve hp, but it wont be any noticeable gains, not in our car anyway.

intake, header, exhaust.. these bolts on wont do much by itself... if you got them all on, you may feel some gains.. but I'm not sure if that 5-10 hp/torque is worth the grand or more you'll spend.

Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
I felt a diff with my sri, but I also got my exhaust put on at the same time[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Intakes are good on DOHC motors, RSX gets 18hp from Injen.
Old 05-31-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
With a cold air yes you are going to be sucking in cooler air BUT there is a lot more pipe for that air to travel through versus the short ram. The short ram is sucking in warmer air but les space for it to travel. It is a matter of personal preference honestly. I felt a gain when I put on my short ram, not much but it was there. Whoever told you there was no difference from the stock intake is full of it.
Old 06-02-2002
The Righteous

RBABE is an unknown quantity at this point
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL KNOWLEDGE, MUCH APPRECIATED!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] I'm gonna absorb it and see what I come up with. Again, thank you!!!