Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Broken stud

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amrhamed is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Broken stud

Hello everyone , i had a broken stud in the crank case (oil pan) for honda civic 2000 LX , so i am planning to drill it then use a thread tap to rethread the hole but i need help with the detailed measurement of the stud to buy the right tap

Regards
Old 09-01-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken stud

Is it a bolt that secures the oil pan? If so, pull one of the other oil pan bolts and use one of those to get the fastener dimensions.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

it's at the corner
Old 09-01-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...LOCK+-+OIL+PAN

I'm guessing it's #21. There's 4 of em. Pull one.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Yeah but i am not following what is 6x28 ??
Old 09-01-2015
Administrator
Administrator

The stud is 6mm wide, 28mm long. Just no thread pitch information. Probably M6x1.0, but that's just a guess
Old 09-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Common M6x1.0, and you could thread the nut from the stud in question onto any of the other bolts that have the same pitch.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

but i think it's too thinner than 6mm wide , i gonna buy a gauge anyway
Old 09-01-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but i think it's too thinner than 6mm wide
It's considered a 6mm.

Just take a pan bolt in with you if you need an example to match up, that's the exact same thread diameter and pitch.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Ok last question , i have a small remaining part of the stud coming out should i removed by carving tap or what .. my best
Old 09-01-2015
Administrator
Administrator

carefully drill it out a bit and use a screw extractor?

If, by chance, you accidentally drill out the threads, you can try tapping it with a larger tap (assuming there's adequate room to do so) or helicoil it to "restore" the threads.
Old 09-01-2015

Originally Posted by amrhamed
Ok last question , i have a small remaining part of the stud coming out should i removed by carving tap or what .. my best
Vise-grips?
If you can get it to come loose, you should then be able to unscrew it.

If drilling is necessary, I'd use left-hand drill bits. With great care and caution