Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

194 LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
194 LED bulbs

Which do you guys think are the best? I have found three distinct types. I want to replace my parking lights, my license plate lights, and my reverse lights with these. Maybe even get sidemarkers and get amber 194 LED bulbs for them. I can't decide if sidemarkers are rice or not though.

Inverted Cone

Quad LED:

Round Head:

Old 05-05-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
im liking the inverted cone ones.
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

Rockthumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the inverted cones as well.
R/T
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

pizzaman is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree-the inverted cones look like the ones i would choose.
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
i liked the ones i had on my Sonoma. I got them from HZ Engineering
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
grey, you have a PM in regards to this topic
Old 05-05-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
Grey

I have the inverted cone LED's (White Ones) in my parking lights..... i love em... but they aren't SUPER bright..

I wouldn't recommend getting them for your reverse lights

Get these for your reverse lights

Item #: M-6 / P8714W
Size: T-16
Wattage: 12V 18W
Color: White

I have those for my reverse lights.... they are much much brighter than the LED's

The LED's say they are 10W... but these are 18W

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

JBlazeVA is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think side markers are "rice"...
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
grey, get the cone ones! they're soooo cool! maybe someone with a magnifying glass will walk up to your car and say "wow! those LEDs are nifty!"

okay people, considering the size of the 194 bulb (that little tiny one in the white parking light in the headlight assembly), no one's gonna see the damn thing!

at least for the parking lights, i'd use the quad-LED bulb. it will be much brighter and distribute light throughout the reflector evenly, compared to the tiny little speck that the cone-stle would look like. not that the reverse lights do much to begin with, but a single-LED replacement would do even less. it's probably best to just leave the reverse light alone, or use a superwhite 194 replacement. the license plate lights have a diffuser/lens, so it won't matter much between the bulbs.

sidemarkers aren't rice at all -- they're mandatory in europe. (well, they're rice if you wire them up to be on with the other lights rather than blinker only) why they aren't mandatory here in the US is beyond me -- how many times have you seen a car in each outer lane try to merge in to the middle lane at the same time? gee, maybe if there was a light on the SIDE of the car... and that's just one reason. honestly, what the hell does NHTSA do for this country!? anyways... sidemarkers are l33t.
Old 05-06-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Separate side markers seem retro to me. The side markers are already built into the headlight and taillight assemblies and I think that makes the care look much cleaner. But I'm a clean car kinda guy.

As for LED's. I got some AA cell 4 LED flashlights. The do real well. I left one in my glove box accideltally turned on and 3 days later it was as bright as ever. The plain one give off a bluish white light. I think with a 12 volt power, these 4 light LED's would be pretty bright and nice.
Old 05-06-2002

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough

<< grey, get the cone ones! they're soooo cool! maybe someone with a magnifying glass will walk up to your car and say "wow! those LEDs are nifty!"

okay people, considering the size of the 194 bulb (that little tiny one in the white parking light in the headlight assembly), no one's gonna see the damn thing!

at least for the parking lights, i'd use the quad-LED bulb. it will be much brighter and distribute light throughout the reflector evenly, compared to the tiny little speck that the cone-stle would look like. not that the reverse lights do much to begin with, but a single-LED replacement would do even less. it's probably best to just leave the reverse light alone, or use a superwhite 194 replacement. the license plate lights have a diffuser/lens, so it won't matter much between the bulbs.

sidemarkers aren't rice at all -- they're mandatory in europe. (well, they're rice if you wire them up to be on with the other lights rather than blinker only) why they aren't mandatory here in the US is beyond me -- how many times have you seen a car in each outer lane try to merge in to the middle lane at the same time? gee, maybe if there was a light on the SIDE of the car... and that's just one reason. honestly, what the hell does NHTSA do for this country!? anyways... sidemarkers are l33t.
>>

NO NO NO..... don't use a 194 Replacement bulb........ go to the link i gave before and get the T-16 size bulb....... T-16 bulb = 18W... 194 bulb = 5 - 10W
Old 05-06-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Hefe,

Can you use that T16 in the tail lights/brake lights?
Old 05-06-2002
DIY King

bobbyd: I don't see 194's? Anyway, too expensive.

Hefe: That's what mwwhonda said about those bulbs. Not that bright. I guess the ones with the single LED's aren't too hot. Scratch those then. Same with the rounded ones. From the bottom picture it looks like they're not too bright either. I don't want regular bulbs though, but thanks for the link.

bhayes82: Yeah, that's what I think of sidemarkers as well. They're safer basically. It looks like the quad LED's are the best bet. Although at $12.95 a pair I would end up spending $51.80 since I need four pairs. Reverse, license, parking, and sidemarkers.

Hum... Maybe I should make my own? I'm a DIY ***** anyway, so I think I can do it. Just convert the stock bulbs into LED bulbs. I need to match the voltage though. Hum... How could I do this? I think I need to just increase the resistance to take care of the lower voltage requirements. We'll see...
Old 05-06-2002

<< Hefe,

Can you use that T16 in the tail lights/brake lights?
>>

I don't think so....... only in the reverse lights...... it has the same base as the 194 bulb but the top is bigger
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
i forgot the equation for resisters. i just went to my local radio shack and asked the transvestite(sp?) that works there how to figure it out. bought the resister and its been running smooth since.
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

grey, like i told you in the PM, its honestly not worth changing the reverse lights to LED's....they simply arent bright enough.......just start w/ the parking lights (w/ the 4led bulb)...see how you like them, and work from there [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

mark
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
siccck stuff, but wherer do you get them from i need the websites to order from.
Old 05-06-2002
DIY King

<< grey, like i told you in the PM, its honestly not worth changing the reverse lights to LED's....they simply arent bright enough.......just start w/ the parking lights (w/ the 4led bulb)...see how you like them, and work from there [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] >>

Maybe you're right, but what if I DIY a quad LED 194 using these LED's: white light LED

<< siccck stuff, but wherer do you get them from i need the websites to order from. >>

Autodynamic for the quad LED 194's, Ebay for everything, and some searching using Google.com to find the best prices.
Old 05-06-2002
Panda

I have the inverted cone LED, it does not put out much light to the sides, I think the 4 LED would be better
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

grey, at 12.95 per pair, its not worth the effort to try to make your own bulbs.....ive already tried.......its not at all worth the hassel involved....plus, they are going to last a hella long time cause they are led's.....so i think its an investment worth making, but like i said, just pick up the one set to start w/.....then go from there! and for the license plate frame lights, just stick w/ a incondesant bulb....much brighter, and w/ the diffuser u wouldnt be able to tell that it was an led ne how....

also.....when u put in an led bulb for your turn signal, in replacement of an incondesant bulb = instant hyper blinker, your blinker is going to go much faster, unless you splice in a resisotr somewhere in the circut, but the resistor needs to be VERY high rating, and should be mounted to metal for heat disapation

peace
Old 05-06-2002
DIY King

Yeah, I realize the price would be similiar, but the site I linked to sells the brightest white LED's in the world for the lowest price I've seen. Making them would be fun though!

I also realize the thing with the blinking rate for the turn signals. I'm not going for LED 7443's though. Maybe later. Then I would have to upgrade my blinker resistor, or have resistors for each bulb like you mentioned.

I don't know if I want to buy just one because of S&H. Argh! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] I have S&H charges on the net.
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

pleasejoe is an unknown quantity at this point
go for the quad, i custom a simular to the quad to my rear turn signal, and they r bright and clean, very visable at all angles, im kinda curious about the inverted ones, wow, thats neat
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
People keep mentioning using the 194 LEDs for the reverse lights. I was under the impression that the reverse lights are type 7440. That's what the guys at Auto Zone told me...and considering I'm about to order a pair, I'd like to know for sure. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanx.

~ DaCurryman
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
bump
Old 05-22-2002

DaCurryman

they are wrong they are not 7440 bulbs but they have the same base as the 194/168 bulb. But get bigger on top, unlike the 194/168 bulb

These are the ones to get for your reverse lights