Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

shortshifter!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloudpicker123 is an unknown quantity at this point
shortshifter!!

which brand's shortshifter is the best??any suggestions??
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
revo
Old 04-25-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
revo with the kumo direct shift bushings
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

02CarbonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
REVO!!! Anything else and you are just gonna waste your money.... call Rob at tornactive.com and he will hook you up
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

PRCIVIC2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
revo
Old 04-25-2002
spoiledsteph

what exactly does the short shifter do? i don't know
Old 04-25-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
It reduces the throw of each shift. The Revo does it through a relocated cable attachment pivot point and by being shorter in height.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
yep, I just installed the revo w/ the kumho bushings a few days ago. Man! What a difference it makes. It feels so much more solid and precise. I didn't think it would shorten the throws as much as it did. I can shift so much quicker and accelerate much faster now as a result. I highly recommend it. It's an easy install and would take an hour at the most.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
you know what would be the ultimate in sly shiftin, the revo ss, solo ss adapter, and the kumo bushings. Now thats some sweet shiftin.
Old 04-25-2002
DIY King

That and the Base RSX shift **** (which is shorter than the stock ****). I have everything but the Revo SS. I'll be getting that soon, so I'll post pics of all three together...
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

I went to my local acura dealer just the other night to check out the rsx's. Well, to see if one was unlocked. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Can someone post a link to the rsx shift ****. Seems like someone said you could get it for 30 bucks.
Old 04-25-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
Mbow - here's the RSX **** link. Better call and make sure they send the right one since the 6sp and 5sp both have the same part number.

Acura auto parts
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

GreenVenom is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to know how much does it cost? and are their and diy's on it!!!
Old 04-25-2002
BAK
Registered!!

REVO short shifter $99.95 plus shipping
Kumo sports bushings $19.95 plus shipping
RSX **** $24.95 plus shipping and handling

Ghosty's DIY page for the short shifer adapter, you also should be able to figure out how to install the shifter from this:

Ghosty's DIY page
Old 04-25-2002
BAK
Registered!!

My REVO short shifter is sitting here on the floor, UPS tracking says my kumo bushings are going to be delivered tomorrow, and my RSX **** is already on the car !! Project time this weekend !!! Also got 126 feet of RAMM mat 60 to install while the interior is out !
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light

<< I didn't think it would shorten the throws as much as it did. I can shift so much quicker and accelerate much faster now as a result >>

<< It feels so much more solid and precise. >>

i agree completely. its all about a feel. as for me, my short shifer (which cost me $10 at a muffler shop) totaly makes the shifter feel more solid. but do a search, we had a discussion about this awhile ago, its all a placebo. the reaction of your hand shifting is not the slowest part of the cars tranny. so doing that faster does not make you accelerate faster, nor does it decrease shift times.

its a placebo effect, and it also feels nicer to shift.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~sciccare/ShortShifter/
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
oh yeah, as to teh RSX ****, does it fit on outr stock shift boot?
Old 04-26-2002
BAK
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit - The RSX **** fits perfectly. It even has the same built in clips to hold up the boot !
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

sweet ^.^ might have to invest... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

oh yeah, ive said this story before, but ill sy it again, cause i think im gonna have to anyways. when i experimented with taking out teh resonator, my friend SWORE the car was faster. and if anyone here really thinks that by taking out the resonator you gain power (doesnt that sound get anoying on the freeway? =p) maybe you should consider buying a $150 shortshifter to make you go faster [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

i dont regret chopping up my shifter, and i love the feeling. but $150 for teh same feelign you get for $10? i dunno, at least you can say you got a revo,......... =/
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

<< sweet ^.^ might have to invest... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

oh yeah, ive said this story before, but ill sy it again, cause i think im gonna have to anyways. when i experimented with taking out teh resonator, my friend SWORE the car was faster. and if anyone here really thinks that by taking out the resonator you gain power (doesnt that sound get anoying on the freeway? =p) maybe you should consider buying a $150 shortshifter to make you go faster [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

First, it does increase power. The engine is able to intake air much more quickly and really helps the engine breathe in the top rpms. You sound like you don't know what you are talking about. What are you basing your statements on. What evidence do you have that an intake does not increase performance???

i dont regret chopping up my shifter, and i love the feeling. but $150 for teh same feelign you get for $10? i dunno, at least you can say you got a revo,......... =/
>>

I can't say with absolute certainty that I am shifting faster and the throws are shorter. However, if they are not, and I am not shifting faster, than someone really knows what the hay they are doing. It is very obvious even in daily driving that it is much easier to shift more quickly. I can tell everytime I shift. I have already noticed that when I floor it and redline it through ever gear that the rpms aren't dropping as much before I can hit the next gear.

Also, after seeing your "i'm a cheap skate" jerry rig, chop job that you did on your shifter, your words and opinions have no merit. Obviously, you do not own any type of short shifter and thus have no experience with one. Before you call bs and make statements about a product, at least have some personal experience and some factual evidence to back up your statements. Otherwise, you just sound like an ignorant idiot.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

<< Mbow - here's the RSX **** link. Better call and make sure they send the right one since the 6sp and 5sp both have the same part number.

Acura auto parts
>>

Bak---thanks a lot buddy. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Hey, after you install your revo, let me know what you think about it, and if it's all just in our heads. Also, anyone else with a short shifter, let me know if you think it's all bs and that we could have done a chop job and received the same lenght of shift throws.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

<< I can't say with absolute certainty that I am shifting faster and the throws are shorter. However, if they are not, and I am not shifting faster, than someone really knows what the hay they are doing. It is very obvious even in daily driving that it is much easier to shift more quickly. I can tell everytime I shift. I have already noticed that when I floor it and redline it through ever gear that the rpms aren't dropping as much before I can hit the next gear.

Also, after seeing your "i'm a cheap skate" jerry rig, chop job that you did on your shifter, your words and opinions have no merit. Obviously, you do not own any type of short shifter and thus have no experience with one. Before you call bs and make statements about a product, at least have some personal experience and some factual evidence to back up your statements. Otherwise, you just sound like an ignorant idiot.
>>

lol.... man, with all teh practice mowhawk and i go through... =p

alright, first of all, the chop job IS a short shifter. ANY product that shortents the throws, does. period.

as fas as sounding like one who is ignorant.... your the one who thinks its "obvoius" you are faster, just like it was obvious to my friend that i was faster resonatorless =/ The fact is, the time you take to move the shifter into position is not the slowest function in the transmission. I dont have to find teh slowest function to prove I am right, all I have to do is fine ONE function that is slower...... Have you paid any attention to yoru clutch lately? let me guess. that one isnt so "obvious" [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]

I really must apologise, tho. if paying $150 for a linkage in your stick, or a shorter stick of course MUST make it so that the revs don't drop as far after a shift [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]

a proper shift ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS is PERFECTLY smooth. you get yoru maximum power, your maximum acceleration that way, as the car is not freaking out as much. you want to test that out yourself, try starting the car in first gear reving to like 800 or so then when you let the clutch out, wait an instant then floor it, and tell me how yoru car reacts [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]

I'm sorry I insulted you, but the fact is, that a short shifter as a performance mod, IS bs, period. we can test this out. if we could, I would say we should take two identical cars, identical in every respect, down to teh track. one will have a short shifter. we will have two runs, one in each car. both runs, I will be faster than you. Why? its the driver, not the car.

My sister's BF used to race with teh scca. If we were to race, him in my civic, WITH the stereo, and me in his firebird, who would win? he would, without a doubt. the difference in driver ability makes up for all of the car.

a short shifter, CAN NOT reduce overall shifts when it is not the slowest action. here is an analogy:
you drive yoru car, and park it in the garage. you want to get yoru car into teh garage faster. so you drive up the driveway as fast as you can, and even start modding yoru car so that you can drive faster and faster up the driveway. but yoru total time taken to get into the garage is not reduced, because you still have to sit there and wait for the garage door to open. to actually accomplish your goal, you have to analize where the slowest part of the reaction is and speed THAT up. in our example, that would be either opening the door sooner, or getting a faster garage door. since teh shifter is not the slowest part of teh reaction (which i have already provided evidence to support) you can not speed that part of teh reaction and expect performance, because you have to wait for the slower parts. you ever thought about how much time it takes to rev the car into the proper RPM's when you release the clutch? more time.......

im sorry that you feel insulted (unless you actually think your car is faster without teh resonator. then you can go #^$% yourself) my intention was to never insult you. but, the fact remains, as i have said over and over again, is that a short shifter, as a performance mod, is complete and total bs.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

<< let me know if you think it's all bs and that we could have done a chop job and received the same lenght of shift throws. >>

who knows. maybe im off by a percent of reduction, maybe im off by several percentage. who knows, maybe im SHORTER by a percentage? but that cant be, after all, my way was cheaper......

and cheaper can never be better. never. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

edit: and i almost forgot, as far as looks are concerned, i like the fact that it sits way lower. makes it easier to get at my cup holders, looks more aggressive, (the pics i took were to hide that i did not have the boot back on, i will try to update that..) I never really liked the stick sitting like three miles above the center console, i wouldnt be able to take the shifter being in teh dash [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

Well, that was a nice reply. I don't have time for a long reply at the moment. However, I don't agree with your analogy. Yes, you are right, you can only move as fast as the slowest part of the line. That's a classic demonstration of what can happen on an assembly line. Although, what if you can speed up the time it takes to get to the slowest point? With your garage door example, what if I race my neighbor into our garages. I manage to just slip by him and hit the button just a split second quicker. Who is going to get in the garage first?

Also, as I stated previously, you say short shifters are bs, but have no factual information or personal experience to back this up. Buy a revo shifter or any other short shifter and use it for a few days. Then we'll talk. Otherwise, no experience, no hard evidence, no ability to prove anything.

Oh, and yea, I reacted a little and I apologize. I won't take the comment about your hack job back though! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

Edit: As it turns out, I do have a little time. The garage door example proves my own point. It's not an assembly line and doesn't have a steady flow of product building up waiting to get through.

Let's say you start at A, must accelerate to B, and then wait 5 secs before accelerating to c. Well, B is constant and can't be changed. So, say that initially, it takes me 5 secs to get to B, plus the 5 seconds waiting at B, plus another 5secs to get to c. That's a total of 15secs. Now, say I change some variable and can now get to B in 3secs, wait the 5secs at B, then take another 3secs to get to C. That's a total of 11secs. I didn't do anything to the constraint, I only changed what I could. Now, I have a reached a bottle neck and can't go any faster until I do something to the waiting time at B.

Now, in a car it's going to work the same way. Put 2 equal drivers in 2 equal cars. One can shift .01sec faster than the other. The faster one will reach that slower point sooner, and thus, leave that slower point sooner as well. The clutch can be a restraint, but not until everything else is moving at the same pace.

Lastly, like I said, spend the money and get a real short shifter. I can say w/o a shadow of a doubt, your position will change.

Edit2: I would still like to hear the opinions of other members whether you agree or disagree with my opinion.
Old 04-26-2002
DIY King

This is what I think happens. You already agree that the time to shift betwean gears is reduced with a short shifter. Be that the Revo Technica SS, the Solo SS adapter, the DC Sports SS adapter, or the Neuspeed SS adapter. Now, the time to depress the clutch pedal overlaps the time you actually shift. I was just out driving with this in mind and it seems that I can depress the clutch pedal faster than I can shift when accelerating. Now, after shifting it takes some time to begin to release the clutch pedal. The clutch engagement point is all the way at the top of the clutch, so this representation is correct as well.

Then you have your unknown event that you claim takes the longest in this whole sequence. Whatever this may be we know that it occurs after the clutch begins to grip. It doesn't matter what it is or how long it takes because, as you can see from the chart, the total time to shift gears is reduced.

We had this argument before and I gave up then because I couldn't convince you that a short shifter actually reduces the time that a car is not in gear. I hope you can see that this is the case now. If not, then I'll give up again for a while and come at you from a different angle.

Old 04-26-2002
BAK
Registered!!

Chopping the height of the shifter does not make it a short shifter !!!

You have not in any way changed the actual shift mechanism, all you have done is shortened the height of the ****! The REVO relocates where the cables attach, where the real shift action is done, thus actually shortening the amount of cable travel required to shift gears which is related to the decreased (very minimal, but it is a time savings) amount of time it takes to shift through the gears. When you cut a shifter down, it's not any different than shifting with your hand below the actual ****. The shift lever travels the same distance, your hand is just in a different location.
Old 04-26-2002
DIY King

<< Chopping the height of the shifter does not make it a short shifter !!! >>

I hope that you can see that your statement is not true from the following diagram.

Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

alright these are very well thought out responses! I will do my best to explain exactly the one flaw in them tho, starting with teh last respone.

alright, a chop job actualy IS a short shifter. it is a REAL, REAL, REAL, REAL short shifter. (i cant stress this enuff. it is actually real.) how it works is it decreases the total distance the **** has to throw before the car goes into gear. like a teeter totter. you sit on teh end, you have to travel a HUGE distance to move the other end up! you sit closer to the middle, you only have to move a fraction of the distance. so you see, everyone, i CAN in fact talk, because i DO have REAL (did i say its real yet?) short shifter.

now: what I conclude about yoru counter analogies, is that you seem to think that the time it takes to put teh shifter into gear is just as long as every other function in teh transmission! gery, i really like the diagram! very well drawn, and illustrates all your ideas very well! unfortunately, it shows the time you physically take to put teh car out of gear and in gear as JUST AS LONG as depressing the clutch, releasing the clutch, and reving the car to gear.

what i must therefore conclude, is if this is so pbvious to you, and not to me, is that I must have physically strong arms and weak legs compared to you. Because if you can depress teh clutch with your foot in teh same time you shift, release at the same time as well, and can rev the car into the proper gear, and each one of these four functions in teh same amount of time (well, less time for one with a short shifter) you guys must have VERY coordinated legs, and REALLY weak arms.

try working out maybe, i think you will also notice a decrease in the time it takes to throw the stick into gear.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

[qWith your garage door example, what if I race my neighbor into our garages. I manage to just slip by him and hit the button just a split second quicker. Who is going to get in the garage first?[/i] >>

obviously you will. because teh time it takes to drive up the driveway = the shortshifter.

the time when you hit teh button = something else

the time it takes the garage door to open = something else.

I definied this very clearly in my analogy, when i said that no matter how fast you drive up teh driveway, you have to wait for the door to open. therefore, when you hit the button, a "split second sooner" you are making a process faster by which gives you the advantage, but is not the analogus short shifter.

good try tho! keep working at it! sooner or later maybe you guys can stump me [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2002
BAK
Registered!!

Grey, your hand moves a shorter distance, but that's not really where the shifting mechanism takes place. The arc is exactly the same distance if you were to measure it where the cables attach. (compare your lines for the **** movement and the arcs you drew. the **** movement is shorter, but the arcs are exactly the same length. hand travels less, but rod still starts and finishes in the same location) The REVO changes the amount of arc distance required (at least from what I can see, I'll know here shortly) . Did that make any sense ?

Quick Reply: shortshifter!!