Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

HID conversion kit question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
HID conversion kit question...

Hi everyone, I'm planning to do the same setup as marux did.(thanks for the great idea marux!) Well...I did some research on this and in the post that marux made he said that he got a 6000k hid kit and installed into his projector. I'm kinda confused on what kind of Hid conversion kit that he got. Did a get a 6000k HID H4 conversion kit or 6000k HID H1 conversion kit? Any help would be appreciated...
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

ShadyMilkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the projectors take h3 bulbs so maybe a h3 H.I.D [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
i got the Philips H4 HIDs in my stock headlight...i had that for more than a year, its great...and PseudoChrist is right, the projectors uses H3 type of bulbs
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
man, around here we have 8000K HID setups. I can get them for $600. Those are sick a$$!!!! H3 is a weird HID to get. Companies are just starting to come out with the H3 HID conversion. By the way, 8000k HID is the closest thing to natural sunlight
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

SilverCivic2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry if this is throwing the original post off topic....but, will my factory bulbs(well I have Hyper white H4's, but they are the same size as the factory bulbs) fit in the projectors housing? I'm talkin about this kind of projector.. . ebay's finest ? thanx in advance.
Old 04-12-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough

<< man, around here we have 8000K HID setups. I can get them for $600. Those are sick a$$!!!! H3 is a weird HID to get. Companies are just starting to come out with the H3 HID conversion. By the way, 8000k HID is the closest thing to natural sunlight >>

Sooooooo... what color are the 8000K kits anyways????
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe marux had the K2 6000k H1 kit. As for the 8000k kits, it's just crap that some manufacturers came up with to sell more kits. All they are, are the blue/white hid bulbs from Hana, aka k2 blue-white kit. If you want the true purple appearance as seen on BMWs and Audis, all you need are Philips or Osram 4100k d2s hids and a set of Projectors such as Hella projectors, designed for HIDs, with a simple retrofit into the TYC housing to replace the halogen projectors. You'll get a purple color without lighting up the ground and everything else purple as with the 6000k bulbs. It'll cost an arm and a leg, but I'm gonna do it. Don't even bother with H3 kits, H3 bulbs have a lateral mount filament, you stick a HID bulb in there and will just end up with a crap pattern.
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Sooooooo... what color are the 8000K kits anyways???? >>

8000K is a really super super white light, so much that the human eye sees it as a deep blue color. Do they project a lot of light? TONS of light are projected from these. I sat in my friends Jetta that has these, talk about light up the road, its way brighted then my car when i have my high beams on.
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

mikalem is on a distinguished road
I have those TYC Projectors and I was planing on added the HID to it later.... I believe that you will need to use the H1 conversion becuase if I'm right the H1 blub is smaller than the H3, and it has to fit inside the projector housing..... if I were you I'd just get the projectors and get them installed - then add the HID bulb later, that way you know exactly what you need to get and you will save yourself a lot of hassle [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice I think i'm getting a H1 coversion kit!
Old 04-12-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point

<<

<< Sooooooo... what color are the 8000K kits anyways???? >>

8000K is a really super super white light, so much that the human eye sees it as a deep blue color. Do they project a lot of light? TONS of light are projected from these. I sat in my friends Jetta that has these, talk about light up the road, its way brighted then my car when i have my high beams on.
>>

Is that Jetta with regular headlights or projectors?
Old 04-12-2002

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough

<< I believe marux had the K2 6000k H1 kit. As for the 8000k kits, it's just crap that some manufacturers came up with to sell more kits. All they are, are the blue/white hid bulbs from Hana, aka k2 blue-white kit. If you want the true purple appearance as seen on BMWs and Audis, all you need are Philips or Osram 4100k d2s hids and a set of Projectors such as Hella projectors, designed for HIDs, with a simple retrofit into the TYC housing to replace the halogen projectors. You'll get a purple color without lighting up the ground and everything else purple as with the 6000k bulbs. It'll cost an arm and a leg, but I'm gonna do it. Don't even bother with H3 kits, H3 bulbs have a lateral mount filament, you stick a HID bulb in there and will just end up with a crap pattern. >>

They are called "Ultinons" those are the purple HID's from Phillips.. they are 6000K
Old 04-12-2002

here's the K2 6000K Crystal White Kit vs. 4300K Kit

Click on ME!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

That's a really good comparison Hefe!
Old 04-12-2002
Registered!!

You're missing my point Hefe. Cars like the BMW X5 and The Honda S2000 use regular 4100k HIDs, not Ultinons or other 6000k HIDs. The purple "blinking" color those cars make is because of the throwaway light that the HID projectors emit. To get that purple color in non HID projectors and reflector housings, you would have to use 6000k bulbs. Not only do they reduce lumens, but also light up everything unnaturally purple. (Notice the color that M3 had on the ground and garage.) You can get a ticket for that. The M3 he had is an older model with halogen reflector housings, which is why the 4100k hids were only white, like on my car. Visit the Philips forum and faq page for some excellent info.

As for 8000k kits, All I know is that natural sunlight is ~5250K. Any higher and you start going into the purple and magenta range. The people at the Philips forum are calling it a scam.
Old 04-12-2002

<< You're missing my point Hefe. Cars like the BMW X5 and The Honda S2000 use regular 4100k HIDs, not Ultinons or other 6000k HIDs. The purple "blinking" color those cars make is because of the throwaway light that the HID projectors emit. To get that purple color in non HID projectors and reflector housings, you would have to use 6000k bulbs. Not only do they reduce lumens, but also light up everything unnaturally purple. (Notice the color that M3 had on the ground and garage.) You can get a ticket for that. The M3 he had is an older model with halogen reflector housings, which is why the 4100k hids were only white, like on my car. Visit the Philips forum and faq page for some excellent info.

As for 8000k kits, All I know is that natural sunlight is ~5250K. Any higher and you start going into the purple and magenta range. The people at the Philips forum are calling it a scam.
>>

I know all of what you are saying Dave [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

I go to the Phillips forum

Also..... I think I'm still gonna buy the K2 6000K Kit
Old 04-12-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
wait.. i belive he has the h3 kit, since h1 is twin highbeam, from what i understand, no one makes a h1 kit, and i asked a few people, they said the tyc projectors uses h3
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

So...h1 conversion kit or h3 conversion kit??? Now i'm all confused[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]...can someone who actually have this setup installed explain it us. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, 6000k bulbs are the easier way to go without spending a freakin fortune just for those retrofit projectors, unless I can find one off an Audi at a scrap yard. It's just that I really want that color changing effect as seen on BMWs etc. instead of a constant purple. Something about lights fascinates me.

As for H1 of H3, here is the original post. Here

And a quote for the extremely lazy.

<< Do they take different bulbs than the stock headlights? FOR LOW BEAM THEY ARE USING H1 BULBS >>

Old 04-13-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
oh, my bad
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
my h4 kit fit in my projectors!!
Old 04-13-2002

<< Yeah, 6000k bulbs are the easier way to go without spending a freakin fortune just for those retrofit projectors, unless I can find one off an Audi at a scrap yard. It's just that I really want that color changing effect as seen on BMWs etc. instead of a constant purple. Something about lights fascinates me.

As for H1 of H3, here is the original post. Here

And a quote for the extremely lazy.

<< Do they take different bulbs than the stock headlights? FOR LOW BEAM THEY ARE USING H1 BULBS >>

>>

Smae with me too buddy..... my girlfriend calls me a freak

Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

showoff is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't need HID projectors to get purple color abberation. The new VW Passat and Elantra's have a slight purplish tinge within a 1/4 distance on stock yellow halogens. Its an optical illusion of the projector and has nothing to do with its light source. Sorta like a magnifying glass emanating a variety of colors including purple upon any light source. The human eye has many rendering weaknesses with any light and distinguishing kelvin is one of them.
Old 04-14-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I would think it was a BMW until it passes me and the lights are just dim halogens. I guess those cars have some projectors with good optical designs. GM projectors release a slight greenish color when viewed at an angle, with halogens. But cheapo projectors like Matrix or APC with unsmooth reflection surfaces does not do that, even with HIDs. So, I'm figuring the only way to get that would be with a retrofit, unless TYC can come through with quality projectors in their head lamp housings.
Old 04-15-2002
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
To all you considering getting HID lights, you need a total conversion, which would cost lots of money. You can't just stick the bulb into a halogen headset and expect to get the same lighting as a BMW or Audi does. Just changing the bulb actually reduces the effectiveness of the light because the high beam low beam mechanism is different from halogens. The reflectors in the headlamp are made for halogens and aren't suitable for HID's. There's a website on this which explains it, don't remember the URL.

Same goes with PIAA blue bulbs, unlike true HID's they simply filter out colors to make that blue tint. Though people can argue that it looks brighter, the actual light intensity is a lot weaker. Very dangerous, stay away from blue tint bulbs.