Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Full Catback or Muffler/Custom Piping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LuZi0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Full Catback or Muffler/Custom Piping?

This information can probably be found in the search, but im a lazy sob and i dont really care.
What is the sound, cost, and power difference between getting a full catback exhaust or getting just the muffler and getting like 2.25 custom piping?
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Another question: What would be the sound, price, and power difference of the different size piping?
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

streetfxracer is an unknown quantity at this point
<font color=white style="background-color: 3E3E3E;">DO A SEARCH ITS BEEN ASKED ABOUT A MILLION TIMES</font ft>
but if you have to know go with a catback worth the money and gives better hp and sound

DAM* NEWBIES
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

my computer and the connection are a piece of sh*t and trying to search takes too damn long, so hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer this ignorant ace question obviously b/c i am a "newbie"
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

i just thought i would post this again
but if you have to know go with a catback worth the money and gives better hp and sound

Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
the muffler will only give u sound....i got my custom piping for $220.00 - 2.25" piping & muffler
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
i swore i remember reading in SCC or something like that, that a custom pipe exhaust system is just as good as a cat-back system if installed properly. the only reason why catbacks costs more is that the rest of the pipes are stainless.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point

<< i swore i remember reading in SCC or something like that, that a custom pipe exhaust system is just as good as a cat-back system if installed properly. the only reason why catbacks costs more is that the rest of the pipes are stainless.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] >>

Yup.. pretty much true if it's all mandrel bent piping.. but the difference between a full catback and just a bolt on muffler (no custom piping is 1-2 HP.... Whoopeee
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
lol thats 150 bucks for 1 hp with that magnaflow gb
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright here I go:
Custom Piping: Most, if not all are going to give you crush bent pipes. That means to make the bends the physically crush the pipe to weaken it, and allow it to be bent. I watched the shop do this to mine. Also, the locations of the bend, angle, and other specefics are going to be made by the dude in the muffler shop working on your car, so no 2 custom systems are alike. Also, the pipe itself is usually aluminum or something like that, cheap, but could be a problem if you live up north or in cold areas, as the salt put on roads to prevent ice from forming will damage the piping. Also, the pipe itself is welded onto part of the stock pipe bolted to the cat, so it can be a "bolt on" in the sense that you could take it off and sell it to somebody else. Most people will take the option of not keeping the resonator, wich in combination with the larger diamater piping will give you the loud fart sound you wanted. A plus with custom piping is the fact that you get to choose from a countless number of universal mufflers out there, and also the cost of the whole system installed is cheaper than a pre-built cat back. As far as any kind of power gains/loses, you will loose low end torque, and it will be noticable. We have no torque as it is, so exhaust doesnt really help. There is a little bit of a gain in the higher end, around 4k RPM's and up, so it kinda offsets the loss down low, but not really. And of coruse there's the good old import exhaust sound you get. Yeah that deep fart everybody seems to love these days. Unless you keep your resonator on your going to get it. Its loud, annoying, and gets everybody's attetnion (cops included). As far as the pre-built systems go, they are more expesive, but you get a better quality product. It will last longer, not sound as loud and annoying, and its a simple bolt on (well simple for most of us...). They are stainless steal (not just the muffler but all of the piping) and mandrel bent, which makes extremly smooth bends theoretically creating a better path for the gases to flow through (less resistance). Power gains for these systems will be a little better than custom, but not too much. Bascially when your talking exhaust the change in the piping is what makes the difference. All a muffler does is quiet the sound of all the "explosions" going on in ur engine. The resonator does this too. Without the resonator plus an increase in pipe diamater, you can expect the sound of a million bee's in a tin can. Some people like it, some don't. Personally I don't like it. Thats why I recomend getting the Thermal R & D Stealth system. Its quiet and increases power a tad. Yeah I know, I don't have that setup YET!, but thats what I recomend. Right now I got loud annoying custom 2.25" piping with no resonator and an Aroseed muffler. It sucks, its too freaking loud. I miss the engine sound. I think it was B16Joe or someone like that who said "Exhaust systems on 4 cyl Hondas are best if kept as quiet as possible as to allow the high revving sound of the engine be heard." That is so freaking true. Oh by the way, 2.25" diamater piping is the way to go.
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

so what would be the best full catback system that sounds kind of ricey and adds a good bit of power(even though its not that much power)?
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

skunk2 and dcsports tcs2 are the way to go
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

netranger is an unknown quantity at this point
Phillipe01, you have no idea what you are talking about!! Don't give advice on a subject which you know so little about! A crush bent exhaust is what factory pipe makers do to save costs, If you want good custom exhaust ask the shop if they use MANDRELL bent exhaust. This means that the pipe is stretched as it is bent and does NOT crush. This is how the big names in performance build exhaust systems and also how most reputable custom shops make exhaust. Another myth which you are propagating is the loss in "low end torque" this is not true. This myth is based on the need for back pressure in most cars to make torque. WRONG!!! Larger tube pipe moves the torque peak up the rpm band which isn't great for everyday driving but it will not lose power. Also small pipe such as 2.25 inch is not worth having custom built. Larger is almost always better. A turbo car should be minimum 3.25 inch. Our cars will easily make more power right up till 2.75 or 3 inch. Probably any more than 2.75 is a waste, unfortunately unless the cat is free flow or headers are larger it's just a waste of time. Please research your info from FAQ's from the name brand exhaust makers. You can't believe everything you hear in these message boards take everything you hear with a grain of salt( this of course includes everything i have wrote[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG])
Sorry Phillipe but had to correct these myths
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

i have to agree with netranger good custom shops will make a mandrel bent exhuast my exhust is custom and the muffler i bought seperately and the shop made made a mandrel bent stainless exhust it cost me $200 and i had a crush bent exhust and i saw very little difference but thats cause the shop i went to crushed the pipe to much and there was way to much back pressue and dropped my hp and torque i should have just bought a tcs or a skunk2 but i wanted to save money and i ended up spending 400 dollors on my exhust any way

crappy crush bent that the cheap shop made-80 dollars
welding the muffler to the crappy exhust 40 dollars
chaning the exhust to a good exhust from a reputable exhust shop=200 dollars
cutting and welding my muffler to the better exhust-40 dollars
having better running car that sounds good-priceless
Old 04-01-2002
Registered!!

ThUgGiNAzN is an unknown quantity at this point
muffler/custom piping its juss saving money!!
full cat is a better way to go for about 500 bucks