Just installed alarm!!! - Honda Civic Forum

Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2002   #1  
Registered!!

Hondasport01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just installed alarm!!!

I just got my Crimestopper CS2001FC and it is nice. I got it from Ebay for $49 from a guy who had 50 of them and selling at wholesale price. This alarm goes for $300 installed at the local speed shop here in Baltimore (Audio Connection). Not a bad deal. Find it on Ebay under Crimestopper it is the one labeled "the best alarm" and it is $49 +$9 for shipping or call
(805) 520-7407 M & S Enterprises...Ask for Michael Thomas. Just a thought. It has...
Keyless Entry
Dual Stage Shock Sensor
Parking Light Flasher
Dome Light Supervision
Horn Outputs
You know the drill..
If interested look there and it fully describes the system.
Hondasport01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #2  
Registered!!

ROBREALZCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
What happend to AutoStart?????? I am sorry but autostart is a must these days!!!
ROBREALZCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #3  
Registered!!

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point
why not some good old fashioned inginuity, no one is going to take your car if they cant start it, i think [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
why not have a hiden switch for the ignition, if its off, you cant start the car even with the key, or by defeating the ignition system
make sure the switch interupts the current in a spot the thief cant bypass, or wont think about
it wont stop people from breaking in, but your car wont be gone, i would get the alarm too, just to be extra safe
and remember the switch could be anything, even a plate that senses the electricity in your fingers, thats what i do
dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #4  
Registered!!

silverhx is an unknown quantity at this point
attn dustin that plate ,finger thingy sounds very interesting, could you please give a little more info?
my e mail is [[email protected]] thanks
silverhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #5  
Registered!!

KevinFWB is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if summary, there is really no reason to hide a switch in your car. If they don't have a key they cannot start it. Our cars have a built-in immobilizer. No key = no go. Could they bypass the imobilizer? I'm sure it could be done. At some point in the car there is an output from the immobilzer unit to the rest of the ingition system. But if they know that much and are that knowledgeable about the 2k1+ Civics are switch, or even an alarm for that matter will not stop them. Basically, if some REALLY wants your car they are going to take it. The only thing an alarm is going to do it deter your average thief.
KevinFWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #6  
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin is right, if they want it, they'll get it. But alarms do their job quite well most of the time. I have heard of those plates too, no idea where to get em tho, but they are neat.
Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #7  
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
hey, I have an alarm coming right now... I was just wondering how much installation was for you and where you got it installed. How much should I be expecting for a similar alarm?
sKwiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #8  
Registered!!

H21Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I get the factory alarm or an aftermarket? just gathering opinions. I only have the LX by the way, thats why i dont have one already.
H21Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002   #9  
Registered!!

Definately go with aftermarket. Someone very well known. I would recommend any DEI (Viper, Wasp, Hornet, Python, Clifford, Avital etc..) They are all pretty much the same. I've heard some people say they really like Compustar, but I have also heard that they are mainly bells and whistles and the quality isn't that good. I installed my Viper 550ESP with remote start on my car, So I'm not real sure about the install prices. You should be able to get an alarm w/remote start for under $200. I got my 550ESP with the 555U (needed to bypass ignition immobilizer) for $205 the 555U costs about $15 cost and usually retails for $50 +/- some. You should be able to get if for around $25 -$30. Never be afraid to bargain!!
Old 03-14-2002   #10  
Registered!!

Thanks, i'll definitely go for the aftermarkets. Also, how much do those car alarms that go, "Step away from the vehicle!" when you barely touch the car? Sounds expensive... just curious... i should've searched huh? I'm in trouble for this one.
Old 03-14-2002   #11  
Registered!!

I've never seen any posts on that question. And if so there can't be many so you shouldn't get flamed. The talking part can be added onto any alarm (well almost any) Its just a voice module DEI part # 516U or 516M you can purchase either of them for about $45. The motion sensor is DEI part # 508D. It is a two stage field disturbance sensor... (A)warning (voice or regular beeps) depending on alarm and voice module and (B)full alarm trigger
Old 03-15-2002   #12  
Registered!!

fourkilos is an unknown quantity at this point
crime stopper is a piece of crap.. no offense.. u should have gone with a DEI piece
fourkilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002   #13  
FLY
Registered!!

FLY is an unknown quantity at this point
i got my unit and instalation for 350 it has everthing you can imagine except for remote start (manual) rolls up the windows or i can roll them down plus i can hook it up to turn my neons off or on, also got the remote trunk popper, i cant remember the brand it was a quality one though came with a lifetime waranty from the manufacturer and from the shop that installed it
FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002   #14  
Registered!!

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point
for setting up a hiden switch, all you need is a peice of metal to act as the contact point, connected to a transitor of the right sensitivity (almost any will be within the range), when the elctricity in your finger goes to the collector, it will open the gate and allow electricity to flow from the base to the emiter, basicly it turns on, closeing the circuit, if the thief doesnt know about it, theres no chance for him to close the circuit without almost completely disassembling the car to see whats wrong

another way, i got the idea from the history channel, a speakeasy in the 1920's-30's had a coat closet, looked normal, but if you used a coat hanger and touched the outer two hooks with it, it would close a circuit and open a door to allow access to the inner building so basicly just have two points that have to be connected, it could be any metal in the interior or hidden pieces such as screws under the dash to hold it together that had to be bridged

if anyone wants i can make diagrams or schematics of a few ideas, great for cars, homes, anything, thieves cant break or defeat something they wouldnt even dream of being there
dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002   #15  
Registered!!

ATTN: FLY I'm curious what kind of "quality alarm" did you get? There are only a few that will qualify as quality to most people. I find it hard to believe that you got a good alarm for $350 installed with all the extras that you described. To roll up and down the windows requires and additional unit (DEI part #530T) retail price of $99 + installation. In order to open the CABLE OPERATED trunk release you need an additonal selenoid (approx $40-$60+installation). The neons are no big deal, just a relay. But you need an alarm that has 3 FREE channels in order to operate this. I may be wrong but I'm gonna have to call BS on your post (NO offense). But I installed myself my Viper 550ESP with remote start on my MANUAL, yes manual, transmission. I have also install a 530T to roll up and down my windows and a 529T to open/close my sunroof. If you had any idea how much labor goes into hooking this up, I would have to say you either got a poor quality alarm, or you don't have the features that you claim, or you paid a significantly higher price. I'm very curious to know what brand equipment you have... who doesn't know what brand alarm they have?? Is it not written on the remote?
Old 03-17-2002   #16  
Registered!!

fourkilos is an unknown quantity at this point
Att: KevinFWB

boy did u get ripped off. DEI part #530T here in nyc is $50 for both windows to go up and down. second i can get a my Viper 550ESP for a $110. trunk pop is only $30. but no offense but why would u install a remote start on a manual?? sounds like a dumbass move. gotta put ur car in nutral..
fourkilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002   #17  
Registered!!

ATTN: fourkilos

If you notice, in my post I refered to the RETAIL price of the 530T for $99, not what I actually paid for it. I paid significantly less for it, less than your $50, although not by a whole lot. And for the 550ESP ($110) that is a good price provided that they will sell it to you over the counter. However most shops will show a low alarm price but it is followed by a high install price. Usually around $350 for the alarm and install ($50 for the alrm $300 install, $200/alarm $150 install). If you didn't know, as part of being a Viper dealer you are prohibited by DEI from over the counter sales on Viper alarms. So unless you know someone very well, most the time they will not sell you Viper alarms over the counter. Which is exactly why DEI came out with their other lines such as Python and Wasp. They are EXACTLY the same as the Viper 550ESP except they can be sold over the counter. As far as istalling remote start in a 5-speed being a dumb move, maybe you should ask how before you tell me how dumb it was. The fact is my car WILL NOT start if it is in gear and it WILL NOT start if the Hand Brake is not up. I installed magnetic switches in the front and rear of my shift gate. If the gear shifter is pushed forward or backward it will not start. If you put it in gear, it shuts off, if you push in the clutch, it shuts off. If you press the brake pedal, you guessed it, it shuts off. And if you release the handbrake it shuts off. I wired my alarm so that when I arm it the alarm will let me know if a switch is open, just as if a door was open. So in response to your question, Remote start can be installed on a 5-speed provided that it is correctly done when all the safety precautions are taken. In fact DEI at one point made a neutral safety switch for a manual transmission. They quit making it because of the design of the switch it would only work in a few cars and was not profitiable (it will not work in the 7thGen Civic without some serious modification) I have one, but it was easier to me to wire mine up with magnetic switches.
Old 03-17-2002   #18  
Registered!!

hey kevin,
How much did you get your whole system for? I work at an automotive performance shop and i can get em for dealer price. Just wondering what i was to expect.