Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

KumoSport DirectShift Conversion Kit for 2001-2002 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
KumoSport DirectShift Conversion Kit for 2001-2002 Civic

Derek (the owner of this site) got an e-mail from KumoSport asking him if he could review their product. Derek has an automatic transmition, so he chose me to review their product instead. They shipped it out to me on thursday, so with any luck I should be getting it this week. The kit only costs $19.95 and it's supposed to take out some of the play in the shifter assembly. It replaces the little plastic rings that you can see in this DIY with aluminum ones: How To Install A Short Throw Adapter When I get the product I will write up a DIY and a review. Stay tuned...
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, good going Grey! sounds like a sweet little mod.
Can't wait to hear how it goes.

I know I'll be waiting to hear all about it.
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
ooooohh! new product! make sure it works with the ss adaptor or revo too[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
$20 is a nice price for a mod
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

pimpdakota is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow who did you have to blow to get to be the test rat? And then gloat about it! Doesnt it seem like they would want to test it on a closed circuit? I mean if i invented something that may have a big affect on the shifting linkage or anything to do with the shifting or driving of a vehicle, i would test it immensly on a closed course or on my own car atleast! Dont just give it out to some not auto mechanic or uncertified person to do your testing! Just my thoughts Dakota. Oh p.s. good luck with the new part, hope it goes well! And what play? You could just tighten the shift linkage! Would save ya 20.00!
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
ya, grey, let us know how it works out for u.
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

so it replaces these?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

pic taken from toasyghosty's diy
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
pimpdakota: they did test it, they just want the word out. kinda hard to come out with something and never test it.

D
Old 03-04-2002
DIY King

First off, I'm not testing it. I said I'm reviewing it.

<< And what play? You could just tighten the shift linkage! Would save ya 20.00! >>

They describe the problem on their website. How could you tighten the shift linkage? I think even if you did that, the "play" that they describe would still exist.

<< make sure it works with the ss adaptor or revo too[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] >>

Will do, I'll actually test it out stock, and then with the Solo and then with the base RSX shift ****. I don't have the Revo short shifter. Maybe I will one day.
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

if i had the money and wasn't so anxious with the Revo, i would mail it to you so you could experiment with it.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
i'm too hyped up about it now[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-04-2002
DIY King

01civicboi: The little black discs is what it replaces. I think? You're getting the Revo? Rock on! I might get it later too.
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey... Skip the Revo... my friend has it in his coupe.. I Cut my shifter.. I have less throw.. Although the Revo shifter assembly does seem to have a little less play in it.. but with the things you're reviewing that might fix it and save ya $90.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].

My SHifter after cutting it the 2nd time now sists 3 " Off the console (**** included) My G/f keep sayin she's tempted to sit on it hot it looks lol (Billet alum shift ****) Was gonna order it off the site... what came up in my "cart" was 2000-2002 Celica kit.. I MEailed them to let thm know.. but I'm buying it... hell for $20 you can't go wrong.. Once i get it I'll review it in comparison fo the Revo shifter with Neuspeed SS adapter.. and my Cut shifter and Neuspeed adapter.. let you know what works better. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-04-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
the revo is same as stock so if it works well on the stock unit, you can bet it will work the same on the revo
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
grey, you lucky batstard [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] let us know how that baby works.

the only reason i'd fork over $100 for the Revo ShortShifter is cause i dont feel like cutting my stock shifter [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] heh
Old 03-06-2002
DIY King

I got it in the mail today. I didn't notice that it came; it's kinda too late to install it today, so I'll install it tomorrow. I was mistaken that it replaces those little black things. It actually goes under where the bolts hold the whole shifter unit down. One under the shifter and one under the bolt for all four bolts. There are eight of them in all. the instructions are so nice. Props to KumoSport for those. I'll scan them and post them tomorrow. Stay tuned...
Old 03-06-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
so instead of rubber mounts, it uses urethane? doesnt sound like i'd do much for feel at all
Old 03-06-2002
DIY King

Who said urethane? No, they're annodized aluminum just like in this picture taken from their website:

Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

01Ex is an unknown quantity at this point
So by rasing the shifter it will tighten up the play in it? I could do this with washers....couldinn I?
Old 03-07-2002
DIY King

Well... You'de have to have 8 big washers and 8 smaller washers. These conform to the shape of the stock shifter assembly though.

Anyway... I'm done with the installation. It took about an hour. The whole shifter assembly is mounted on these rubber things. they move around, so the whole shifter assembly is kinda loose. This product makes the whole shifter assembly attach firmly. When you shift it feels much more precise. I haven't tested it out completely yet. I asked my sister to borrow a digital camera, hopefully she can get one from college so that I can get some pictures up. I'll scan the instructions in later. They are so good. Out of all the aftermarket products that I have bought these are the best. You'll see what I mean when I put them up.
Old 03-08-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms

they are only 20 bucks? you recommend them, i might try em'
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm itching to know what the final verdict is. You mentioned you haven't completely tested it out yet in your last post. Do you have anymore comments on the product?

Thanks
Greg
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got mine from UPS today. I'm going to install them when my Revo kit gets here and do it all at once. I'll post pics if Grey hasn't done so by then.

I agree, nice instructions and quality product.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

01Ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I have them but i am also waiting for my revo to come.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

TommySI is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey everyone,

I got mine in yesterday... going to be working on it tonight. ... I'll let you all know my outcome as well. Take care.. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] laugh;
Old 03-14-2002
DIY King

<< I'm itching to know what the final verdict is. You mentioned you haven't completely tested it out yet in your last post. Do you have anymore comments on the product? >>

Sorry about that. I've been kinda busy lately. I've driven with the KumoSport DirectShift Conversion Kit for five days now. It's like you can feel where each gear is better than before. It probably shortens the throw from one gear to the other as well since it eliminates the flex. You change gears and it's like, "Slam!". The stock rubber mounting of the shifter assembly makes each shift feel gummy.

Anyway, I'm happy with this product. It does what it claims and I don't see anything adverse that can come of it.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Grey I guess all that's left is to pick a set up.

Greg