Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

wieght of a vis carbon fiber trunk vs stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
wieght of a vis carbon fiber trunk vs stock?

Has anyone actually wieghed thier carbon fiber trunk and thier stock one? If so please post up what your numbers where. I am looking for solid numbers so no guesses. Thanks
Old 03-01-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
one thing i know is that the cf is really light compared to stock...i remember seeing alan's (7thgenerasiancivic's) trunk and it was really light compared to my stock trunk
Old 03-01-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
on eddies car (eddieisaricer) when you pull the thing to pop the trunk it just fly fully open, you dont need to lift it no more.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
getting a cf trunk is alrite, but if you want to go cf, you should do the hood first because our cars a fwd and weight needs to be reduced in the front..
Old 03-01-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
getting a cf trunk is alrite, but if you want to go cf, you should do the hood first because our cars a fwd and weight needs to be reduced in the front..
yup been there and done that.
I am just looking for some numbers.
Old 03-01-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I have the silver cf vis trunk ...

when I pop my trunk, it just flies open, as mentioned above.

I haven't actually weighed either of them though... but it is quite a bit lighter. probably the same different a cf hood would make from a normal hood... seeing as how the amount of metal on our trunks is almost as much as our hoods. so I'd say ... 10 pounds or so.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

sepudo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by djmota
Has anyone actually wieghed thier carbon fiber trunk and thier stock one? If so please post up what your numbers where. I am looking for solid numbers so no guesses. Thanks

It amazes me how someone can ask a simple and very clear question and yet get all kinds of guess-timates that he clearly was not looking for...

I love america
Old 03-01-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sepudo

It amazes me how someone can ask a simple and very clear question and yet get all kinds of guess-timates that he clearly was not looking for...

I love america
maybe it's because nobody's weighed it so they're trying to help him.

I love america? what does our country have to do with anything? so you're saying people in Africa, Russia, etc always weigh their cf trunks, right?

ugh.
Old 03-01-2006
Premium Member

I was hoping for numbers but if guesses are all I can get, I'll take those too. .... still hoping for numbers tho...
Old 03-05-2006
Premium Member

bump... still looking for numbers
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

ohioex is an unknown quantity at this point
You could always weigh your stock trunk lid and then contact VIS and ask about the carbon fiber one they sell

Last edited by ohioex; 03-05-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2006
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
off topic...but dont you want a little bit of weight on the front of the car to help keep traction to the wheels (since we have fwd cars)? Therefore it would make more sense to reduce weight in the back of the car, correct?
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by Stachmo
off topic...but dont you want a little bit of weight on the front of the car to help keep traction to the wheels (since we have fwd cars)? Therefore it would make more sense to reduce weight in the back of the car, correct?

with the weight of the motor that really wouldnt matter imo....weight savings is weight savings .....the best type of weight to lose is unsprung weight......honesty you better off removing weight from the front end to try and achieve 50/50 weight distrubition and if at all all possible an equal corner balance....of course i could be wrong as my suspension knowledge is purely theoretical and not applicational
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
If Djmota drag races, why would you want less weight up front? In a FWD car, you would want less weight in the back for drag racing.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
^^ was not aware of that info about him drag racing...
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Well, actually, I just assumed he mainly drag races, so I could be wrong and you could be right as well haha.
Old 03-06-2006
Premium Member

actually any wieght loss over any part of the car is good for drag racing, unsprung of course being better. I am debating getting a vis trunk. One of the factors holding me back is if the wieght reduction is worth the $$$$.
Old 03-06-2006
TEIN MAN

RAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura about
Wait for the Seibon CF trunk....