Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Painting Spark plug cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deadphishy is an unknown quantity at this point
Painting Spark plug cover?

Hey guys, how easy is it to paint a stock spark plug cover sitting ontop the valve cover. And what kind of paint should I use? And info or links would be great thanks.
Old 03-05-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
its very easy, just take it off, clean it very well and do a couple of light coats with heat resistant paint and some clear coat on top, you can also hit the search tab at the top of the page to see all the other members that posted about theirs
Old 03-05-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
model paint works well for the lettering. that thing gets hot so buy accordingly. also if you mess up its less than $10 for a new piece.
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

really the cover is only ten bucks? can i get one from my local dealer?? I would love to be able to take my time and just paint a new one instead
Old 03-05-2006
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
any link that would be posted here would be easier found if you did a _ _ _ _ _ _. (i'll let you figure that one out.)
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

WOW AWSOME! Thanks for the kind words. I thought an hour of searching and reading was good enough. Guess not. Not like the search function is perfect. I found tons of people saying they wanted to do it, And that the did it. But nothing about how easy it was, and what paint to use.
Sorry I guess my search skills on a new forume arn't up to par.
Old 03-06-2006
There is no substitute

ironchef is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used Krylon Fusion plastic paint. It's supposed to bond to plastic, and in my case it's still looking good after 10 months. Has anyone else used this type of paint?
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ironchef
I've used Krylon Fusion plastic paint. It's supposed to bond to plastic, and in my case it's still looking good after 10 months. Has anyone else used this type of paint?
Still hodling up with all the heat? thats good.
Old 03-06-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deadphishy
really the cover is only ten bucks? can i get one from my local dealer?? I would love to be able to take my time and just paint a new one instead
The car doesn't blow up if you drive w/o the wire cover. Just take it off, clean it and paint it.
Don't just paint... give it the Krylon touch.
Old 03-06-2006
There is no substitute

Originally Posted by deadphishy
Still hodling up with all the heat? thats good.
I'm a little surprised myself, believe me, but you won't hear me complaining. How hot does the engine bay get in a basically-stock car get anyways? 400F?
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

what kind of clear coat should i use? krylon as well?
Old 03-06-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ironchef
I'm a little surprised myself, believe me, but you won't hear me complaining. How hot does the engine bay get in a basically-stock car get anyways? 400F?

no way. its not an oven.
Figure the whole front end of the car and the bottom is basically open for air to flow through.
Its probably somewhere in the low 100s on a hot day unless you're having big problems.
Old 03-06-2006
There is no substitute

That would make sense. It would only get hot in stop-and-go traffic.

I didn't bother clearcoating it, since the instructions on the Fusion paint didn't ask for it. Check out my gallery, it should give you an indication of what to expect.