Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

my hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
You'd have something going except for one thing... it's a Civic. That's like saying (I don't think he'll mind this example) the sun is big and it has a gravitational pull. Since Tristan (flyriceracer) used to be like 250lbs or something, he had proportional gravitational pull. But we all know the sun actually has gravitational pull and Tristan didn't.

It's no different than the argument for big wings (downforce) or HUGE mufflers/piping (back pressure.) Maybe if we were talking about cars with V8s or V10s or V12s it would matter, but not in this case.
Old 09-29-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by FlyRiceRacer02
hahah.....how is that?
The Kaminari hood isn't a functional ram-air hood anyways(there is no hole at the end of that big scoop).
1. If that's true, that's stupid. Why the hell would you put a fake hood scoop if there's no opening. What's that? It looks like performance but really isn't? My, that sounds like the definition of rice to me. Unless maybe if you cut a hole to make it functional, then it would be cool.

2. I always thought the purpose of reverse ram scoops, at least the kind like you see on old Mustangs, was to draw air into the engine through... um... crap I forgot what it's called but it has to do with air pressure. Something like the air pressure behind the scoop is less than in front of it, so the air goes into it. But that might only be true for the reverse ram scoops that stick above the hood, like the previously mentioned ones on Mustangs that are really big and stick up (and look tacky IMO). On that kind, the air flows like in this picture:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse hood scoop.gif
Views:	169
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	10737  
Old 09-29-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by IronFist
1. If that's true, that's stupid. Why the hell would you put a fake hood scoop if there's no opening. What's that? It looks like performance but really isn't? My, that sounds like the definition of rice to me. Unless maybe if you cut a hole to make it functional, then it would be cool.
Yea, it is stupid. That's why i don't own one. So don't call me rice.
Old 09-29-2003

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Hoods like that are called cowl induction hoods.
Old 09-29-2003

Can someone post a pic of the underside of one of the hoods with scoops like Kaminari or something?
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

dragin will become famous soon enoughdragin will become famous soon enough
jesus christ look at what happened to this thread....lol

heat rises ..... agreed? so hot air is going to escape throuh an opening in the highest area right? so that makes a void that needs to be filled with some thing right? so cooler air fills in the place and the cycle goes on.

rice? hardly.... neon hood squirters or any thing from pep boys or apc would be rice... imo

the hood is functional in the fact of releaving hot air..... I LIVE IN THE FUKEN DESERT SO HEAT IS A MAJOR ISSUE EVERY DAY I DRIVE.
the hood is not a hp adder like a ram air.... its not even the same theory. or the same as a cowl hood. its mostly cosmetic.

and there is an opening so i dont know what ur talkin about iron fist. go BACK to NAPERVILLE AND THR and...... SHUSH.

any way the point of the hood was not for perfromance just because its light and i think it looks good on the car. and the extra things were bonuses. (sp)

why care so much? does it affect you? no..... the reason for my post was to inform others who may be thinking of the same mod but are nervous to try it, or dont want to waste there money on somethin that is a garbage product.

also the invader and my hood do differ. in apperance alot. same idea with a revers vent. there how many reverse vent hoods out there? ViS was hardly the first. from what i have found out ViS products are not the best quality. The ViS hood has a wider scoop that doesnt go as far up the hood. mine is a narrow scoop that runs the lenght of the hood.

** i think this thread should be locked out*** if there need for a debate over hood functions it should be a new thread imo

Last edited by dragin; 09-30-2003 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
white2k2ex said:
Hoods like that are called cowl induction hoods.

Yeah! That's it. Thanks

FlyRiceRacer2, I didn't call you rice.

dragin said:
the hood is functional in the fact of releaving hot air..... I LIVE IN THE FUKEN DESERT SO HEAT IS A MAJOR ISSUE EVERY DAY I DRIVE.
the hood is not a hp adder like a ram air.... its not even the same theory. or the same as a cowl hood. its mostly cosmetic.

Uh, alright tough guy, I don't know if you're yelling at me or not, but I wasn't even talking smack toward you. All I said was a hood with a hood scoop intake thing that doesn't have a hole at the other end of it is stupid. It won't let air in, it won't let hot air out. All it does is create more drag which = slower (although the drag might be negated by the weight loss since it's carbon fiber). Also, I was explaining how cowl induction works, I assumed that given the location of the hole in yours it might be the same principle.

He also said:
any way the point of the hood was not for perfromance just because its light and i think it looks good on the car. and the extra things were bonuses. (sp)

Alright, I wasn't even making fun of your hood in the first place. If it lets hot air out that's awesome. And plus it's cf so it's lighter, too.

and there is an opening so i dont know what ur talkin about iron fist. go BACK to NAPERVILLE AND THR and...... SHUSH.

I don't know what you're talking about either. I don't even live in Naperville. wtf is "THR?"

Let's not be so defensive here.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

the thr was sarcasm no big deal... my bad u thought i was yellien
the naperville thing cause ur from the chi burbs.... thr a joke team in the naperville area..

Last edited by dragin; 10-01-2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

for clarifacation... heres the back side of the revers scoop or what ever u wanna call it. see the mesh? thats were the air escapes from.........
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

heres a side shot so u can see the vent area dosent raise up that high over the rest of the hood
Old 10-01-2003
7thgen Man-gina

01WingsWestCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
it cetainly does look good