Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

roll cage vs. roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003
Jam out with your clam out.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
roll cage vs. roll bar

i saw some roll cages and roll bars for our civics on ebay this week. does anyone have one? what is the difference between a roll cage and a roll bar? here are the pics.

roll cage. anyone know how this would go together?

roll bar
Old 08-04-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
A cage is gonna run down the front pillars and fully encapsulate you. There's gonna be a square frame on the roof and probably some diagonal members across the door openings. A roll bar, is exactly what it sounds like... it's just a bar behind the front seats that keeps the roof from coming in if you roll. As far as that cage going together... I wouldn't do it any other way but welding.
Old 08-04-2003
Autocross Junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly. the roll bar will be Adequate for extra safty for autocross and Track days. the Roll cage would be required for Wheel to wheel racing, and may need additional parts welded in to be legal for some racing clubs (SCCA/NASA).

I was thiking about getting a roll bar my self, but then I though "why add the extra weight"? So I don't think Ill get one unless I plan on doing a lot of track days.
Old 08-04-2003

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
If you do track or autox (esp SCCA) make sure to check the rules on it before sinking your money. and also keep in mind that a cage will pretty much make getting into your back seat a total bitch.

but if you want the protection, its the rock that keeps you from the hard place if you roll.
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

evol is an unknown quantity at this point
wait a minute here.. those pictures are exactly the same. you have to get a little creative and look at all the bends...but every peice is the same. hope they are about the same price. oh and for looks they are cool and maybe for mounting a camera... but you will have to do alot of work to your ride if you are ever going to go fast enough to need a real cage.
Old 08-04-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Your right, they are the same, just one shows the un assembled pieces. Whats shown is a roll bar, good for the street/autocross/track days. I dont recomend a roll cage for the street because, unless you have a habbit of wearing a helmet when you drive, haveing a roll cage can be VERY dangerous (they can cause Major Head injuries even in minor accedents).
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

and though I would reccomend welding it in also ... the solid kit shown a bolt in kit... you can see the welded nuts plain as day
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	roll bar1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	6465  
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2426188870

dude ... did you read what it says about these... I really hope you dont buy these and think they are going to save you in a roll over
Old 08-04-2003
Autocross Junky

hahahah.... they are made by APC!!!!!!

Add racing style to the interior of your vehicle with APC Show Tubes.

This would be much better (Autopower makes good roll bars and roll cages)

Another site with Autopower cages
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

cross bars... ohhhhhhhhhhhh,, ooohhhhhhhhhhhhh... excuse me whilst I change my soiled pants .
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
those are just for show, the tubing is way too small to make any difference if you roll.
Old 08-05-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
If you want a real roll cage/bar, get a certified welder to do it for you. They will know what metals to use, and where to mount them. A cage for my car, custom built would cost me about $80 in tubing. This is only a 4 point cage though, nothing exquisite. Those APC cages and Monkeybars are for nothing more than show. Their for those more interested in looking fast than driving fast.