I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Kyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Wiring Question

I just bought a 2010 Honda Civic LX four door and I have some questions about the wiring. The car runs perfectly fine but there's some wires that are cut here's some pictures below. Can anyone tell me what these wires were originally for? Overall, nothing is really wrong with the car starting up or driving or gauges but I'm curious as to what I should do about these. Should I get them removed or just leave them how it is?

First picture has some sort of brown or dark red wire. Second picture has a turquoise/green and purple wire connected together but not going anywhere. Third picture it has a couple red and orange wires just cut

Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned or it's some sort of alarm system or remote start that was removed?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brown.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	89573   Click image for larger version

Name:	green and purple.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	570.3 KB
ID:	89574   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunch of wires.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	89575  
Old 03-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wiring Question

Follow the taped up bundle to a control unit (probably 3"x3" black box or so)

I'll guess it's probably from a remote start that's been disabled.

If it's not causing problems I might leave it alone.
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

I'll guess it's probably from a remote start that's been disabled.

If it's not causing problems I might leave it alone.
Ok I'm just curious as to what these wires could be for. Nothing effects the driving or starting of the car I'm just curious as to what this mess of wires is for. Because I have 1 speaker not working and the dome light and lights by the rear view mirror don't work.
Old 03-02-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by High Kyle
Ok I'm just curious as to what these wires could be for. Nothing effects the driving or starting of the car I'm just curious as to what this mess of wires is for.
*cough*
Find the box. See what the label says. Use google if it's only got numbers and a brand name.

Post pics of it?

Because I have 1 speaker not working
Check speaker, check wiring.
and the dome light and lights by the rear view mirror don't work.
Do they work if you open other doors? (broken drivers door jamb switch)

Check fuses.....and bulbs......and does it have any other odd electrical malfunctions? Does the key warning beeper work?
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

*cough*

Find the box. See what the label says. Use google if it's only got numbers and a brand name.

Post pics of it?

Check speaker, check wiring.
Do they work if you open other doors? (broken drivers door jamb switch)

Check fuses.....and bulbs......and does it have any other odd electrical malfunctions? Does the key warning beeper work?
The dome light does not work at all. Sometimes if I close the door and then I open it it will be on for a couple seconds. I think it's a loose wire.

Here's more pictures of the wiring:
So turns out the purple wire turns into a yellow wire:
https://gyazo.com/eefe117090b2111ff9ee5fc8332fa9af

Turns out following the wires up more they all come into one big bundle all together connecting to something inside the steering wheel and then running up through the car upwards somewhere:
https://gyazo.com/df56cd0b9c441d8be76979ddb7b0414e
https://gyazo.com/f6ee14d273858c660d44eaa4c5680fb4
Old 03-02-2017

Large gauge wiring tapped into the ignition switch harness is almost always for remote start.
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Large gauge wiring tapped into the ignition switch harness is almost always for remote start.
I have a remote starter mechanic in my town. Should I have him remove the wires or should I just wrap electrical tape around them and leave them alone?
Old 03-02-2017

Originally Posted by High Kyle
I have a remote starter mechanic in my town. Should I have him remove the wires or should I just wrap electrical tape around them and leave them alone?
Your choice.
Old 03-04-2017
Registered!!

TrashPanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.

I just registered while browsing the site. I saw your question and I had a very similar experience with my 1999 Z24.

The previous owner had hooked up a remote starter or an alarm in it. When they returned it off the lease, they left the wiring in.

I drove that car for two years, no problem. Then my headlamp blew out.

The wiring was then found (which it should have been found during the certification).

At this point, it had partially fried out my battery and it leaked acid all over the battery shelf and fried out my wiring to my headlamp.

It cost me close to $500 (at that time) to get the effected wiring fixed. While the work order warranty was still valid, my headlamp went out again.

While it was on the hoist, I traded her in on another car.

I spoke to the sales guy again a few months later. He said another person bought the car and had major issues with it, while it was still under the standard used car warranty they offered (I think it was three months).

Ultimately, the dealership had to replace the entire wiring harness on the car.

As suggested, I would find out the source of the phantom wiring and if there is any use for it. If not, I would suggest getting them out of the car.

Maybe I have a bit of an emotional reaction to this, because of what happened to my car. I would not risk it though.

Best of luck.

Last edited by TrashPanda; 03-04-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 03-05-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^ Sounds to me as if the Z24 was overcharging with symptoms like those.
Old 03-05-2017
Registered!!

TrashPanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you CraigW. I always wondered about the demise of that car. It was one of my favourites.

She had no power windows, or even power mirrors. Manual everything, but she was a beast. Handled amazing, even in the snow.